1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not a good day for me. Two questions....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sapperguy, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Nov 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM
    sapperguy

sapperguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    Sorry for the long post but today was not my day. Pulled my head unit to install my axxess unit for my steering wheel controls only to find the Toyota specific harness won't work due to the JBL system. That means if I want to use it I have to go through the nut roll of figuring out which wires it has to tap into. I also found out whoever wired the radio did a horrible job. It's a rats nest of wires and bad connections. I took it to the local audio shop to get an estimate to clean the wiring up and get my steering wheel controls back. The quoted me $175 with a different adapter for the controls. The guy told me they had seen a lot of problems with the axxess units losing their program, which brings me to my first question. Has anybody had issues like that or is he just trying to sell me something that I don't really need?
    Next I pulled my passenger door panel because the window was crooked and found out the piece that holds the front of the window broke. Called the dealership and they told me I have to buy a whole new window which is $189 plus $90 in labor. All for a little plastic piece. I saw in a highlander forum that somebody found a piece for a gm that he made work for his highlander. This brings me to my second question. Has anybody else had this problem and where they able to fix it without buying new glass? Also, if I do have to buy new glass, how hard would it be to install it myself instead of paying the $90?

2. Nov 27, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    If you have glass coverage on your vehicle they will buy you a new window.

There is a specific adapter for the JBL system to use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit. You just bought the wrong one I'm assuming?

3. Nov 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    sapperguy

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    I'll have to look into the glass coverage. As for the adapter, I guess I did.

4. Nov 27, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    For the plastic piece find someone with a 3d printer and see if they can make you one. It is amazing what can be built with them. Even hands for people born without them.

5. Nov 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    sapperguy

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    That would require one to get the measurements off of to make a new one as well as finding somebody in or around bfe Missouri with a 3D printer, but I'm definately going to look into it.

6. Nov 27, 2015 at 6:56 PM
    Kbel

Kbel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DCLB
    Junkyard or online salvage??

7. Nov 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    sapperguy

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    ?

8. Nov 27, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    Kbel

Kbel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DCLB
    I do not know what the plastic piece you are looking for looks like, but could you not find it at a salvage yard or maybe even the whole assembly if your ins does not cover it. Just a thought.

9. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:28 AM
    sapperguy

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    We don't have a junk yard anywhere around here that has a Tacoma in it and the plastic piece can't be bought separate from the glass. As for insurance, my deductible is $1000, so they aren't any help. It's looking like I'm going to have to spend the $270 :(

10. Nov 28, 2015 at 6:48 AM
    Marker4

Marker4 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 taco
    Go to car parts.com online salvage yards from across the country you will be able to find the part you need.

sapperguy[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Kbel

Kbel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DCLB
    Yep. Online salvage was what I was thinking.

Might try this TW member as well. May have to call direct as listed in his first post. Hopefully, shipping does not kill the cost, otherwise may as well be cheaper buying new.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ack-2005-2009-large-partout-oem-parts.376787/

12. Nov 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    sapperguy

Member:
    First Name:
    craig
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCLB
    I sent him a text. He won't pull a window. Only a full door. He's going to price it Monday.

13. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    I haven't seen an axxess unit *itself* lose its programming, but some head units lose their programming occasionally when the axxess doesn't boot up fast enough to be available when expected. Specifically, I can say that a Parrot Asteroid Smart has fits with axxess SWI. A kenwood seems to handle it ok, but kenwood is also a piece of junk.

FYI: axxess has an Android application, so if you install one of those, make sure you keep a USB wire plugged into it and accessible (glove box), you can plug it into your phone to adjust it, which is very convenient.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ckt_works.axxessapplication

Products Discussed in

To Top