1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not the same old tire size question......

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bluegrass Taco, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco [OP] Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    OK. Here we go. At the risk of appearing to be the same ol' question all over again, I have a VERY SPECIFIC tire size/lift/wheel question.

With a set of 885's and 1/4" spacer on the left side, (probably on 5100's, but that's yet to be determined) stock TRD Off Road wheels, and the possibility of 255/85/16's.....has anyone used that combination IN CONJUNCTION WITH wheel spacers (1" Bora)? I like the LOOK of the OR wheel spaced 1". I don't want to take them off. Before I go to spending money, I'd like to know if anyone has tried this combo. An alternative opinion would be someone who's used an aftermarket wheel with 1" more offset than the stock wheels.

I have no issues with 2-1/2" to 3" of lift. I have no issues with the stock rims. (Personally, I REALLY like 'em) I'm on board with the concept of using 255/85/16's.....And I like the wheel spacers and what they bring to the table as far as looks. I do NOT want to cut on the body...although will be OK with some minor trimming of plastic.

So....Those of you that have 255/85's, let's hear what you have to say....

2. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    I have that current lift set up and have been back and forth between 255/85 or 285/75 on stock wheels with my 1.25 spacers. From the reading I have done, you should be fine with the 255's for sure. The 285's are hit or miss with some people and some trimming may be necessary. I will likely get the 255's.

Bluegrass Taco[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    I already know the pitfalls of doing 285's.....They'll rub unless some cutting is done, spacers or not....I'm EITHER going to stay with 265/75/r16's, OR do the 255/85/r16's. At first, I'll be sticking with the 265 Duratracs I have. But I'm trying to plan out this entire build, all the way to the finish line. I'd like taller tires than the 265/75, but WILL NOT be doing a cab mount chop. That's OK for some, but I'm just not quite interested in taking a sawzall to my truck. If I eventually do the 255/85's, I'd rather not give up the 1" wheel spacers. That look has grown on me and I don't want to take steps backwards.....

4. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Then it sounds like you should be fine from what I can see.

5. Dec 1, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    the OR wheel with a 1 inch spacer... would be the SAME thing as a wheel with 1in more of back spacing....

255/85R16's should fit with much less rubbing than 285/75R16's... 285's will rub no mater what, people that say they dont are lying cus they have yet to actually flex the truck more than a curb at the mall.

6. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    :laugh: lol, good luck with that....

I've tried doing this... rather unsuccessfully. there are so many options and ways to go, you change one thing then realize you want/have to change something else, or the more you learn the more you end up changing your mind on what you want to do. then just when you think you got it.... you see something else and POOF.... mind changed. that's why everyone's "build threads" in here are more "evolution" threads.

nothing is cut and dried with this addiction of ours...

but have fun with it!

PoweredBySoy likes this.
  7. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    BOTH of those issues have already been addressed in my earlier post's.... I realize the 1" spacer would effectively be the same as a wheel with 1" more back spacing.....

And I've worked on several trucks with 285's and I'm very much aware of the rubbing issues involved there.

These items are why I'm looking at 255/85's as a solution. I'm still wanting to talk with someone who's actually using same (or very similar) combination of parts.

8. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:

There MAY be some deviation from the grand plan, but I'm one of those folks who likes to make a plan and see it through without straying far from the objective. There are several "phases" to my plan that may have room for changes....ie, what brand and model of winch I end up with.....And I'm not as of yet locked in on a tire choice....but I have a general idea of what I want to accomplish. Which is, taller tires and no cutting on the body.

I'm working on my 17th 4wd over a 43 year period since my first one. . I know how a plan can morph into something entirely different. But there are certain things I've ruled out as unacceptable. I'll stick to that.

9. Dec 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I have a 2.5 lift with my 5100s and run 255/85/16 on stock wheels. I slightly rub my stock UCAs when turning, and my aftermarket mudflaps when turning and flexing. A spacer would probably get me off of the UCAs, but would magnify the mudflap/ wheel well rubbing. I'm certain I'd need to trim/ chop if I put a spacer on.

10. Dec 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    must be nice... I'm on my first build and sometimes I think my head is going to explode...

I also have a somewhat general plan, but it keeps changing - sigh, the more you know ;)

keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out, I'm heading in the 255 direction myself so would like to hear your experiences. here's an interesting thread if you haven't already found it:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/255-85-r16-owners-experience.155849/

11. Dec 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    This^^^^^

Exactly the info I was looking for. Not what I was wanting to hear, but I'd much rather hear it NOW than 10 minutes after I bought new tires. Thanks!

12. Dec 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
  13. Dec 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    @Bluegrass Taco , I found this pic I took of my current setup with the stock mudflaps still on. Full stuff and turned to the maximum rubbing point. That pesky plastic bubble on the stock flap is what it's rubbing on. It's not nearly as bad on my aftermarket flaps, and I'm sure a heat gun could reduce it on stock flaps.

Products Discussed in

To Top