1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA -> On Board Air Mega Thread & BS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gunshot-6A, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2019 at 10:22 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Definitely do at least 16” of stainless to the manifold. Learned that the hard way.

This is simply 1/4” Amflo hose and it works perfect

Here’s the rear Qd I used about 30 feet worth
    E909E42A-FB09-4424-96D1-DCDDB74302F6.jpg

2. Feb 21, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I have the ARB Dual Compressor. Lately it has been acting weird.

Whenever the tank reaches 150psi the compressor is supposed to shut off automatically. But sometimes it doesn't.

The compressor will keep running until to blow-off valve in the tank goes off and then keep on running. Sometimes the second time around it will stop when it should and other times it will continue to run, over fill the tank, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Even if I switch the tank off via the switch in the cab, it still won't stop. Last weekend, I had to get under the hood and pull the fuses to get it to shut off.

Any thoughts?

3. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Sounds like a bad pressure switch. My best guess would be that the relay portion of it is getting stuck in the ON position, since it kept running when you turned off the switch. The switch should just be supplying power to the relay coil in the pressure switch.

As far as I know the pressure switch is built into the ARB doubles, so it might need to go back to ARB for repair.

4. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    The pressure switch is built into the compressor. I wonder if it is replaceable. #ProbablyNot #MyLuck

5. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
  6. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:57 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
  7. Feb 21, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Col4bin

Col4bin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    The beauty of ARB compressors is just this- full serviceable!

Ritchie likes this.
  8. Feb 21, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I found another 4x4 forum where the same subject was being discussed, and it was suggested that the internal relay might be defective and stuck in the ON position. As soon as the weather warms/dries up I'll take a deeper look at it.

9. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Probably a bad pressure switch or relay.

Faulty/melted/shorted wiring is also a possibility.

10. Feb 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    I'm leaning towards the relay being the culprit. The on/off switch and pressure switch are both part of the same circuit which had no effect on turning off the compressor. That makes me wonder of the relay is verging on being fused. Might need a relay with higher current rating.

11. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK. New information. I was able briefly get under the hood. It seems that only one side of the compressor will not shut off. The other side is working properly. I have disconnected the power plug on the bad side for the time being and the good side is keeping the tank full.

Now, does each side have its own relay?

12. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Do you have the wiring diagram(install instructions)?

13. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, but it does not show an exploded view of the compressor unit. And all the exploded views online don't show all the parts, including the relays.

Now I find something on a Jeep forum where someone was having the same problem and he said something about "replacing one of the relays" so that sort of implies there is more than one.

Guess I'm going to have to take it apart.

14. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    "each of the relay blocks" seems to suggest 2 relays
    upload_2019-2-22_15-46-50.jpg

15. Feb 23, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    Col4bin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    Is that Loctite 545 readily available? Not sure I’ve ever seen it, but never was looking either. HD/Lowes kinda thing?

16. Feb 23, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    An eBay seller buys large bottles(expensive) and sells smaller bottles(much cheaper)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Feb 23, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    Col4bin

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Double Cab
    Thx I had seen that. Trying for a local
    Place. Any ideas ?

18. Feb 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Fastenal is the only place I’ve seen it.

19. Feb 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    Jakoda

Jakoda beep boop

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR DCSB
    Bunch O Shit
    This is where I get mine.

Loctite 492145 545 Pneumatic/Hydraulic Thread Sealant Bottle, 36-milliliter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XZB54O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8NxCCb5HB2GAF

20. Feb 23, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Sandman614 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top