1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA -> On Board Air Mega Thread & BS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gunshot-6A, Oct 20, 2013.

1. May 10, 2019 at 10:02 PM
    Black1Tacoma

Black1Tacoma #TRUKTOY

Member:
    Carlsbad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Just mounted a Viair 2lb tank near the spare tire. Now I need to plumb to the ARB Twin compressor and to my quick release mounting spots. If I install a pressure gauge should it be installed on the compressor or the air tank? Also Any recommendations on what type of tubing I should use? Thanks for any suggestions!

6FFEEDF3-F6E8-4E8F-9119-334C9EC8C288.jpg
    29F25B96-9345-4050-BB16-635DE9166096.jpg
    9E50979C-23F8-4481-A2CE-6FEA50CBC0F6.jpg
    A026FB59-FD81-42B6-80BE-BE24004EEA8C.jpg
    E5FAC460-1922-432C-B6CD-8C4D2908C66E.jpg

5415DD74-E877-46B7-A8D3-32D476EB3E59.jpg

Attached Files:

lpfe42 and Sandman614 like this.
  2. May 10, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You can put the pressure switch at the tank. Also install a check valve at the compressor and a blow off valve at the tank.

3. May 11, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I like the use of unistrut

4. May 18, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    OK. I need some serious help here.

I have the ARB Twin compressor. It is mounted in a Slee Bracket next to the windshield washer tank.

A few months ago something happened where the compressor would not shut off; not even if I flipped the OFF switch in the cab. It kept running and running until the pressure valve blew on my air tank. Then it ran until the tanked filled back up to normal pressure then stopped as it should.

A few days later it did the same thing, only this time it would not shut off at all; it just kept overfilling the tank, blowing the pressure valve and the doing it all over again and again. Finally, I had to disconnect it from the battery altogether.

Then we had a semi-warm Saturday in February so I decided to do some troubleshooting and see what I could figure out. After some tinkering I discovered that only one side of the compress was not shutting off; the other side shut off just fine. So for the time being I decided to just disconnect the power wires into the bad side. The good side continued to do an adequate - if slower - job of keeping the tank full.

After some on-line research my best guess was that the relay that controls the bad side might be stuck in the closed position; thus never allowing the compressor motor to shut off.

OK. That makes sense.

So today, I unmounted the compressor from the truck, disconnected all the cables and the air hose, removed it, tore it apart, replaced the suspected bad relay, and put it all back together.

Now NEITHER side will work. When I switch it on, it just sits there. [Insert WTF? here]

The 40-Amp fuses in the cables from the battery are both good. The two heavy red wires on the plug for the wiring harness are both hot so power is getting to the compressor itself. But apparently it is not getting to the motors. Another interesting thing is that the 3-inch fan on the compressor housing right near the relays isn't running either.

I tried temporarily running a jumper wire between the the two wires that plug into the pressure valve, as well as leaving both wires disconnected for a test just to see what would happen, which was nothing.

Right now I have the compressor hooked up to the truck, though partially disassembled in other to "bench test" it. Nevertheless it simply will not come on. :annoyed:

So I'm desperate. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

5. May 18, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    There are 4 items that turn it on/off:
    On/off switch
    2 relays
    1 pressure switch

Along with passives:
    Main fuse
    Switch power fuse
    Connectors
    Wiring

You can test relays by applying 12V and listening for the click
    You can test the switch with a dmm or see if it works on another circuit
    Only way to test pressure switch is connected to pressure. (Edit - with no pressure it should be on = very low resistance measure with ohmmeter)
    Fuses are obvious.
    Check the connectors for heat damage
    Wiring should be inspected for heat damage as a precaution since fuse should fail first

6. May 18, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    You can also bypass all of the above and hot wire it directly to battery to see if the motors still work.

7. May 18, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Actually, I did do that. No difference.

8. May 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

All the fuses appear to be good. No smell of burned wires.

Relays tested straight off the battery and they work.

No way to put pressure on the pressure switch right now, but it does ohm-out at very low resistance.

As I said earlier, one side was working fine until I took it apart yesterday. Now nothing.

Now, Here's a question.

Referencing the color-coded arrows, the Red wires (#1) do have power all the time since they come from the battery.

The adjoining Black wires show a good connection to ground.

Small Black wire (Arrow #3): What does it do?

When I switch the compressor on from inside the cab, is this Purple wire supposed to go hot? Because if it is, it's not going hot.

TIA!

IMG_20190519_123157.jpg

9. May 19, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    Red18Taco707

Red18Taco707 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richi
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Red 18 TRD POOR
    @Salty_Dog I’m guessing you know how to use a meter since you said you ohm’d it. I would check for continuity on the compressors since you said you have power at the cables. Then check continuity for your grounds.

Tactical_Panda likes this.
  10. May 19, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    If it worked before and doesn't now indicates either an assembly error or possibly a wire pulled loose from a crimp inside one of the plugs or if there's a bad supply or ground connection.

Tactical_Panda likes this.
  11. May 21, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Does the compressor unit have to be mounted (i.e., bolted down) for grounding purposes?

12. May 21, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I assume not because it has ground wires straight to the power source.

13. May 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Red18Taco707

Red18Taco707 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richi
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Red 18 TRD POOR
    Right. The circuit grounds with the wires not the compressor bolts. Check both compressor (touch the power and ground for one compressor. Then the other) it should read some resistance. If the meter reads OL (open loop) then something is wrong with the compressor.

Next I would check for power at the plug.

Then I check the ground cable. Touching one lead at the plug and the other where you grounded it. Again, it should read little resistance. If it reads OL then the ground circuit is open (not grounded).

Next i would check the switch for power (maybe the switch is bad?). And at the relay. And the check ground for the relay.

If all the wiring check out then I would suspect the compressors are bad:notsure:

I have the single compressor so maybe someone with the twin can chimy in.

Hope this helps.

14. May 25, 2019 at 12:42 AM
    mrjoshyman

mrjoshyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Please excuse my noob electrical question. I got an ARB twin and just got it mounted in my 3rd gen....now for wiring it. The main power harness that comes with it has 2 inline 40amp fuses.

I have a dual battery set-up with all accessories running off aux battery, 90% of them are run via a blue sea fuse block and 10% are add-a-fuse.

My thoughts for possibilities of powering are:

a) get large enough ring terminals to fit the wires (I think they're 8 gauge) and attach directly to aux battery terminals
    b) add ring terminals and attach as is into blue sea fuse block (would require 2 powers, each with 40 amp fuse)
    c) cut out the inline fuses from the harness and attach to blue sea fuse block with a 40 amp fuse per power line -- this seems to make the most sense since b seemed kind of redundant, though the in-line fuses they come with seem way beefier than the ones in the fuse block?

Appreciate the assistance!

15. May 25, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Go straight to the battery. Blue Sea panels are rated for 30 amps max per circuit.

16. May 25, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    As said above, straight to the battery. If I remember correctly, that is the install instructions from ARB. Mine is wired directly to the secondary or 'house' battery.

mrjoshyman[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 25, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    ^^^What he said.

18. May 25, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Anybody know where I can find a drain valve like this, but in stainless steel rather than brass? Everytime I want to drain my air tank I end up replacing the whole valve because it gets corroded from exposure to the elements, road dirt, salt, water, etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot the picture:

417EAilU4jL.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  19. May 25, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Some accessories( like winch or twin compressors) draw so much current that you should have the motor running when they are in use and you want them drawing load from as close to the alternator as feasible(that is usually the batteries terminals). If your second battery is in the bed then that means connecting to the stock battery location.

mrjoshyman[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. May 25, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Like "which" drain valve?
    1/4" pipe thread or 1/2"?

Products Discussed in

To Top