1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBD II scanner when looking at a used Taco?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Johhnyreb, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Jun 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Johhnyreb

Johhnyreb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    TN
    Vehicle:
    N/A
    I am looking at buying a used tacoma soon. I was recommended by someone here to get an OBD II scanner, and use it before buying anything. I know very little about basic car mechanics, and I have never used a scanner before. Is this something I can learn to use fairly quickly, and at least know if there is a problem with the truck I am looking at? Is there any point in a novice like myself even fooling with purchasing one of these?

BTW, this is the one I am considering getting.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_o1m8eypdi_e

2. Jun 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    If you have a smartphone, they make Bluetooth OBD2 scanners you can get on Amazon for like $20, and there are apps such as Torque to read codes and such.

3. Jun 25, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scanners have their limitations for one personal vehicle. Especially a reliable one such as a tacoma.

The big thing is when you test drive a used vehicle is to check for "Monitor Status" Most codes take time to set, multiple drive cycles. So if a seller were to clear a code, the monitor status would be incomplete, thus a code may have been recently cleared. Most good scanners can show this and save you lots of headaches with codes like catalyst or crank issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top