1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ocotillo Wells Offroad Park Closing? HELP

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by EVE Designs, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    EVE Designs

EVE Designs [OP] GNAR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Valle Vista, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Offroad
    Hi Tacoma World,

This is one of the most popular forums of vehicle enthusiasts that I frequent and I thought I would start a thread here to inform a country-wide audience.

Ocotillo Wells is one of the few places left in California that still allows open riding to Offroad enthusiasts. The area hosts Hundereds of Thousands of visitors each year and designates 85,000 Acres to be used specifically for Offroad Vehicle Use. The area has been used as such for almost 40 years and many families have grown here.

Now, environmental groups such as PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Action), and DPC (Desert Protective Council) are seeking legal action that would limit Offroaders' ability to use this land for its intended purpose.

Please help fight the action and give the Offroad community the reputation that it deserves, don't let these groups paint the picture that We as a whole are reckless and destructive. I fear that with no action or voice, the park could be limited to the size of what Pismo Beach is now.

Read the News stories here:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22285653/whistleblower-claims-environmental-damage-at-ocotillo-wells

http://www.10news.com/news/environm...-off-road-vehicles-at-ocotillo-wells-05272013

Here is a petition set up at WhiteHouse.gov:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...end-open-riding-ocotillo-wells-state/dP751xyj

Here is a Facebook Group being used to organize fund raising: I especially encourage everyone who recreates in California to join CORVA. The California OffRoad Vehicle Association is dedicated to preserving the community's rights:

http://www.corva.org/

And if you live in California, write your Senator. Here's a link to find you Representative:

http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

PLEASE do what you can. All it takes is five minutes in most cases. WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. Jun 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    As a San Diego Socal native, I started offroading when i was 12 (43 years ago) & can attest that special interest groups have been trying (& in a lot of cases succeeding ) to get closure to about 70% -80% of ALL public access in regards to the off road community, it's not just the desert, it's agenda is to reduce all combined OHV areas by that percentage....folks, thats a shitload of land that you , I & every taxpayer that offroads have not only supported but have paid to maintain the parks as well.. & to those who would say " Thats Califs. problem." Don't believe that for a second, if it happens here (& it does) it'll happen anywhere, yes, even your state

Get pro active....get involved

3. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    I was #1905 of over 90k needed signatures! We need to all work together to keep our recreational areas open and safe. Please take a minute to sign the petition and another minute to write your local representatvie.

4. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    NateMob

NateMob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    South Ogden
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Triple Locked
    Signed it, good luck to you guys out there. We are looking at a shitload of closures here in southern NM. We are fighting tooth and nail to keep out trails.

5. Jun 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    EVE Designs

EVE Designs [OP] GNAR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Valle Vista, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Offroad
    There was a letter template I saw somewhere. I will try to find it and post here to make it easy to write your rep California people

6. Jun 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    surfnmoto2

surfnmoto2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4 + 2016 TRD OR 4x4
    Snugtop caps for the dogs Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg Uni on 2013. King 2.5 Resis on 2016 Deaver custom expedition leaf pacs , BAMF sliders and other stuff.....
    Thanks for the link, this needs to get a lot of exposure. I hope every Tacomaworld member that reads this thread takes the 1 minute of time needed to create an account and sign the petition.

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    There is only 25 days to get the needed 97k signatures with only about 2k so far. We need to take a stand!

8. Jun 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    All the employees of Rebel Off Road, including myself have wrote letters to each of our representatives and senators, and Phil Jenkins, the Chief of the OHMVR regarding the legal action against Ocotillo Wells. Though I did not grow up riding in Ocotillo, I am now a part of a family of wheelers that call Ocotillo Wells their second home. I'm standing up and taking any action I can to save our one precious off road heaven here in Southern California.

I received a generic response from Mr. Jenkins this morning, saying the following:

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your letters of support, and for all that you do to sustain our program. While I am unable to comment on the specifics of this case, I can assure you and those who enjoy Ocotillo Wells SVRA that we will defend our interests. The PEER lawsuit threatens our current land management scheme and alleges that we have failed to follow our legislative mandates. These issues are particularly important given the pending finalization of the new Ocotillo Wells SVRA General Plan which we are deeply concerned with completing. Please continue to enjoy our State Parks and Recreation Areas, and remember to ride responsively by staying safe and protecting our natural resources.

Phil Jenkins, Division Chief
    916-324-5801
    OHMVR Division
    California State Parks

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. Jun 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Moostang

Moostang Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CA