1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd Noises from Engine

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10.21, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

10.21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    Looked up the search, could not find anything that compares.

To start off, I noticed the engine making a different ticking noise when I was driving back to NC from Quantico. When I pulled off to fill up I checked it out. It was nothing outrageous or even noticeable while driving, just at idle. I came to the realization that it was probably just something with the alignment on the fan; or just a the fan itself doing what a fan does...moving. This sound was coming from the front.

That was about a month and a half ago. Two days ago while on the freeway I had to accelerate excessively because some d*ck wouldn't let me over so I can get on my off ramp (Virginia drivers). As I came to an idle at a stop light I noticed a new noise coming from the engine, a lot more noticeable.

This time it was coming from the left side, deeper into the engine compartment, couldn't figure it out. I tried making a video or sound bite for you guys but you couldn't really hear it over the other engine noises. It's just a constant ticking almost to a thump coming from the front driver side. Fluids are good and so on...

I know my explanation sucks and I apologize. Just hoping I'll get someone who may have been in the same situation. Any suggestions? Still on warranty so I will eventually take it to the shop, the thing is I'm up in VA for training and my days go from 0500 to about 2200 at night...then I have work to do after that...plus sleep is kind of awesome so when I'm not working, I'm sleeping...

Again. Sorry for the redundancy. Any suggestions would help or just knowledge of what the hell is wrong. Hopefully I could get it in this week but personal time looks bleak for the memorial day weekend...

2. May 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Is this sound rev dependent?

3. May 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    Yeah I actually went out after I posted this thread just to familiarize myself with the noise again (I let it sit today and rode to work with someone else). The sound wasn't immediate so I rev'd it and sure enough there it was...just on the rev. I let it run, smoked a cigarette and came back and it was making the sound again on idle...honestly it sounds like either

a.) something just dangling or lose clicking around on the exterior of the engine
    b.) like somewhere in the schematics of the engine is running dry...but fluids are topped...

Those of you with any mechanical knowledge, I just want to know if I'm good to drive about a mile to work everyday. I have a short commute. I'll have the stealership figure out the internal if no one knows. I just don't want to f*ck it up too bad.

4. May 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    perhaps it is the evap purge valve that is working. there is a post on how to stop it from clicking on here somewhere

5. May 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    It might be the classic tacoma tick, mine does it off and on. But then again it could be something worse....don't know what to tell ya:(

6. May 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    Hey, I appreciate all the comments with no Search Engine Nazi references (I actually went back to search engine and put in about two letters and found some topics).

One of my buddies at the school house was saying something about the exhaust as well, I'll check it tomorrow when I get off work. As far as the purge valve and retractable pen, I have no idea where to even start with that. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend (so far that isn't looking good) so I can run it into the dealership.

To Montana, that's just it. It already had the classic Tacoma tick...now it's the classic click with an odd, deeper clicking. It becomes more frequent as I leave it running too...can't hear it when driving. I don't know. I'll post what I find out from the dealership and hopefully help someone out in the future...thanks again guys.

7. May 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
  8. May 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    No. That video actually makes the noise coming from my truck sound good. I was driving it quite a bit today and as time went by the noise quit. I shut it off, when into the gas station to grab something to drink, came out and started it back up and the sound was back...I don't know. Should have sometime this weekend to run it in.

9. May 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Haha. Thankfully I'm getting that fixed on Monday. Is the noise from your back the leafsprings? If it is while you're at the dealer ask about the silencer pad tsb.

That sounds like your best bet. I have no idea what yours is.

10. May 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    I took it in today and I guess its something internal. Like I ran the engine dry with no oil. Some guy is supposed to be coming down on Tuesday to approve them to take the engine apart. I just hope its good under warranty because it could end up at $10,000.

11. May 29, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    x2

12. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    I change my own oil. I've never ran it dry though. It's at like 9K plus some, so I've only changed it twice (I changed it before coming up to VA because I didn't think I'd have any time to do it while I was up here). But yeah, that is exactly what they are insinuating...that I fucked it up because my four years of professional experience on vehicles and eight years total of vehicle experience are useless compared to their expertise. I can only pray the inspector guy just looks at it, realizes its a 2010 with 9K miles on it and that Toyota is in pretty difficult times and just say "fuck it, fix it"...if they try pinning anything on me then I don't know...I'm going to go cry to mommy (the wife) because she knows more about paperwork and legal shit.

Products Discussed in

To Top