1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd play/slipping when starting and stopping.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PhysicsTacomaGuy, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    PhysicsTacomaGuy

PhysicsTacomaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5 V6 2WD
    I recently purchased a very nice 99 V6 Auto 2WD Access Cab Prerunner, one owner, 160k mi. Everything is flawless but a minor slip/play when I stop hard or let off the brake fast from a stop. I can stop and start in a conservative manner to avoid the slip/play, but that is not always possible. When it occurs, I can see the shifter buck back and forth somewhat. All of the shifts are flawless, so I do not believe it is internal to the trans. There is no play in the U joints or the carrier bearing. I do have about 1.0 to 1.25 inches of play when I push up on the trans. and there is a gap in the area around the rod in the trans. mount. I have read a few other posts regarding axle wrap?? My leafs do not appear to be 'flat' per say. Thank you for your advice.

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    PhysicsTacomaGuy

PhysicsTacomaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5 V6 2WD
    Is this another one of those 'cool-guy', 'in-crowd' blogs??? Well, I feel totally unwelcome. 62 views of my post, and not a single reply. Seems pretty dicky around here??

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Don't Know you might be that guy who has the new problem none of us have any exp with.

Cypher

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    :wave:

Welcome to Tacoma World, as Cypher said, I don't think anyone is trying to be a dick. Just unsure of the problem. Try to describe the problem a bit more. What seems to be slipping, the brakes, the tranny? Are there accompanying noises or vibrations? Little more information could help.

Products Discussed in

To Top