1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Audio Plus Reviews

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by oemaudioplus, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Apr 22, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    rdvm1972

rdvm1972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma SR5 4x4
    None, brand new. Looking for ideas

I just purchased the complete system with the dedicated sub amp and second sub. I see that you’ve had some experience with switching out your head unit. I’m placing this in a 2020 model. Do you have any tips or advice and what was the biggest noticeable difference when you swapped out the head unit?

2. May 24, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    TK11

TK11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    N. CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    Bilstein 6112 / 5160, 275/70/17 BFG KO2, Caliraised Sliders, SSO bumper, Warn winch
    Don't do what I did! Installed my OEM+ speakers this weekend. After installing the first speaker (rear door) I put the door panel back on then shut the door. I soon discovered that I incorrectly reconnected the lock and handle pull cables. I couldn't open the door no matter what combination of handles and lock buttons I tried. No big deal, just take off the panel and fix it, right? Not so fast. When the door is shut, the panel is against the frame and can't be removed. After trying various ideas to reach the cables using wires - all unsuccessful - I resorted to removing the door hinges thinking I could swing the front of the door out suicide style to get the panel off. The hinges alone aren't enough to free the front of the door completely but it was enough to move the door a bit (<1") away from the door frame so I could yank the panel off inside the truck.

My bonehead mistake was corrected in about 10 seconds after a couple hours of scheming. Live and learn. The other doors went quickly and were fully tested before closing.

The speakers are a great improvement already! ...and I still need to install the amps and sub.

64349634059__5625A03C-FF62-4C41-88B8-2FF042ABCD86 copy.jpg

skyking3 likes this.
  3. Jun 5, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    TK11

TK11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    N. CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    Bilstein 6112 / 5160, 275/70/17 BFG KO2, Caliraised Sliders, SSO bumper, Warn winch
    Finished the install of the Reference 500 + dedicated sub amp. (1 sub). Also added sound deadening in doors and rear. What a difference this system makes! I am impressed. If you're on the fence, go for it!

I can't compare to JBL because my TRD OR manual didn't have it. (Little known fact: you can't get the JBL in the manual OR; at least in 2019 you could not). And, I can't compare with any home-designed system. But, this sounds great and the fit and integration into the truck, wiring, etc, makes installation very easy.

Pic because you need a pic, right? Amps under seat.

IMG_4316 copy.jpg

patdeezy and svermilyea like this.
  4. Jun 5, 2021 at 10:31 PM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    Glad you got everything installed. What kind of sound deadener did you use?

5. Jun 6, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    TK11

TK11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    N. CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    Dynamat with Noico foam over it. Doing this at the same time of the audio upgrade makes it a bit tough to tell if the sound deadener helps, but it should be minimizing reflection keeping the sound tight. Doors feel much more solid / quiet. Only did doors and back wall (so far) so truck still has a fair amount of road noise.

patdeezy[QUOTED] and skyking3 like this.
  6. Jun 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift (Coilovers and AAL) 285/65R18 tires 18" Fuel wheel/tire package Pro Grill, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, DD SS3 Pro Fogs Body Armor Front and Rear Bumpers Pioneer WC6600 head unit w/ OEM Audio + Reference 500 System with dedicated sub amp Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits Meso Overhead Molle Rack, Seat Risers, Katzkin Leather seats (self installed...it was a fucking bitch) VFTuned .....KDMax Pro!
    I did my inner and outer doors in SoundSkin, then I did the back deck under and behind the rear seat. I still have road noise near the rear cab vents. Going to drop the headliner and do the roof next.

TK11, patdeezy and daveeasa like this.
  7. Jun 9, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    Denteen

Denteen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    @TK11
    I have never used sound deadening, though Ive upgraded just about every vehicles stereo. ‍♂️ Did you basically just put it on all the exposed metal areas of your doors? also, just looking at this for my Non JBL 2018. Im an 80s bass “punch” kind of guy. Dont need the booming low bass. Is the sub noticeably better than stock and punchy? 8” sub is exactly what I would like actually

8. Jun 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    TK11

TK11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    N. CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    The noise dampening (Dynamat, etc.) is applied to minimum of 25% of exposed surfaces. This minimizes the resonance. Additional layers, if you choose, like closed cell foam, should be applied to all areas. There are many threads on here and elsewhere about this. This guy gives a good overview on trailtacoma: sound-deadening-3rd-gen-tacoma-basics. He calls it "basics" but he did more sound deadening than anything I've ever seen. I did two layers, and only in the doors and rear.
    Not having done a head-to-head comparison with and without noise dampening, I can't really comment on the impact of the dampening vs the new equipment. But, there is good punch.

Denteen[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 9, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    Denteen

Denteen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    Thanks!!

10. Jun 10, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    Beerpayzdabillz

Beerpayzdabillz Pastryatarian

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 sport
    I'm not a writer, but are my thoughts. I installed the Signature series in my 2016 Tacoma w/JBL at the end of February. In addition to the OEM Audio+ install, I put sound deadening in the doors, on back wall and floor, and also the roof. Part of the sound deadening was a pre-cut kit from Runnin4Tacos.com. Install for the audio system was basically straight forward. The unexpected challenge being the new wiring harness is larger than previous versions, so it does not fit nicely into the wiring channel along the threshold. I ran the harness from the amp to the subwoofer lying it next to the channel.

My initial thoughts on sound quality were: A) clarity at high volumes was significantly improved, B) I would like it to be louder, C) I would like the highs to be more pronounced. D) Bass was significantly improved.

After three months of settling in, I am happy with the volume, it seems to have gotten louder over time, or it was the second amp sent out in response to some folks issues with a delay in signal processing, which I did not experience.

I listen to Spotify 90% of the time and I was able to improve the highs by changing a setting in the Spotify equalizer along with a small adjustment to the treble setting in the head unit.

There was an issue with a missing piece in my package that was immediately resolved by Daniel and the team at OEM Audio+. Customer Service through out the process was impeccable. I had questions during the install and Daniel made himself available to me whenever needed. (Thanks again Daniel)

In summary, I am very happy with this system. I listen to all genres, but I like hard rock very, very loud and this system does not disappoint in any way.

Optimus14 and skyking3 like this.
  11. Jun 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    in your opinion, could a decent dsp and amp not overcome the shortcomings of the stock head unit? or would a better head unit preclude the utility of a separate dsp?

personally, i wouldn't balk at paying $1600 or more, but i don't feel like the OEM+ solution would be the best bang/buck. the integration/installation is really tempting, but the fact that i don't intend to keep the rear wall cubbies is enough to put me over the edge for a ground-up solution anyway.

can you suggest any other sources/resources for putting together a component system for the 3rd gen? i'm trying to do my due diligence but it's scattered and slow.

12. Jun 15, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT, 2005 RC 5MT PreRunner, 2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4
    I don't know that I've done adequate analysis to really help with the question of "How clean can you get the audio output of an etune head unit?" but that's a good question to ask.

My take was from a somewhat alternate perspective, along the lines of "How can I best leverage capital to improve the audio experience". I came to the conclusion that replacing the head unit was the best first step for various reasons, with cost and losing the volume knob being the only noticeable cons.

13. Jun 15, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    yeah, i think i'm just following on from a similar perspective, assuming that you're still spending $ on the downstream components as well. anyway, difficult to quantify without real comparisons i guess.

14. Jul 29, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    Pocketbees

Pocketbees New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hi guys, 1st post!

I've been eyeing this brand for a while now. I'm wondering how the bass sounds? I'm looking to maybe get a kit with a single 8". I love bass-y double-kicking in my deathmetalcore. I've also already got the kicker tweeters... are theirs that much better that the kickers go in the garbage?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  15. Jul 29, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Beerpayzdabillz

Beerpayzdabillz Pastryatarian

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 sport
    more than enough for me and I like my tunes loud and I like lots of bass. I listen to: metal, hard rock, hip hop, classic rock and I also listen to country but never loud. LOL.

Pocketbees[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 31, 2021 at 3:06 AM
    JohnyRockets

JohnyRockets New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey guys first post here. Just installed the reference 500 system in my 16 TRD Sport and holy smokes what a difference! I'm more than happy with the money spent. I don't have much experience with car audio installation so the whole process took about 7 hours. Between the installation video and the pdf instructions I had all the information I needed to get it hooked up. I do need to go back and get some more slack for the harness under the seat cause when I put the seat all the way back the Amp gets unplugged but I'm going to install some deadening so I'll just do that at the same time so it's not a big deal. I'm just happy I can hear my music with the windows down on the highway. I listen to a lot of satellite radio and even though it's 100x better it's not as good as cds or mp3s through Bluetooth. I think it has something to do with the way Sirius/XM compresses the music. Still blows the stock out of the water. If anyone is on the fence about getting this system and lives in the Eastern CT area and wants a demo before purchasing I'd be more than willing to meet up somewhere so you could give it a listen.

17. Jul 31, 2021 at 6:43 PM
    Pocketbees

Pocketbees New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    @JohnyRockets Would you mind reporting back with your opinion of the sound deadening after the install? I'm curious if it makes much of a difference.

I'm guessing it has a bigger impact if you get a lot of road noise from rugged tires

rdvm1972 likes this.
  18. Jul 31, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    svermilyea

svermilyea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco Sport (Cement)
    3in leveling lift (Coilovers and AAL) 285/65R18 tires 18" Fuel wheel/tire package Pro Grill, Morimoto XB LED Headlights, DD SS3 Pro Fogs Body Armor Front and Rear Bumpers Pioneer WC6600 head unit w/ OEM Audio + Reference 500 System with dedicated sub amp Meso signal lights, gas hole, led interior lights, ECT relocate, Chrome delete kits Meso Overhead Molle Rack, Seat Risers, Katzkin Leather seats (self installed...it was a fucking bitch) VFTuned .....KDMax Pro!
    I have done the sound deadening in the doors and rear deck. Yes, it does make a difference, both in road noise and speaker performance. I used SoundSkins custom cut matts on the inner doors and SoundSkins rolls in the outer door skins and on the rear deck in behind the back seats. I have not gotten around to dropping the headliner and doing the roof, but that is next. Huge upgrade in quietness. I only wish that Toyota didn't put the damn cab vents behind the rear seat.

19. Aug 1, 2021 at 2:37 AM
    JohnyRockets

JohnyRockets New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma TRD Sport
    @Pocketbees Sure thing bro. I have moderately beefy tires(Cooper Discoverers) so I'm curious to hear the difference.

20. Aug 5, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    mbcarino

mbcarino Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB 4WD
    not sure if the 3rd gen is the same, but can you share the procedure for adjusting the dsp gain? I see the pots for the standalone sub amp, but not the dsp?

To Top