1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Radio Malfunction Prevalence

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaatw, Sep 15, 2009.

?

Have you had any malfunction with your OEM radio?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2009.
  1. Yes!

117 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No.

74 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Don't know. Replaced it with aftermarket too quickly to know.

12 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Sep 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    Knot Guilty

Knot Guilty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access cab 4x4 4cyl Barcelona Red
    Black UWS tool box, Bed mat, Tinted all the way around, AFE Air Filter, Secondary air filter removed, Debadged, Seat belt mod, Cobra 29 w/lil wil antenna, EGR Rain Guards, Black Husky liners, Grey and Black factory Tacoma seat covers, AR Mojave Wheels, Flowmaster 40, Nitto Terra Grapplers
    How would you do that? Mine has the controls on the steering wheel but only has volume and tuning controls. Can only turn it on or off at the radio. Your's must be different

2. Sep 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I'm on my second defective factory radio in my '09. The first one started acting flakey the day after I bought the truck and the replacement lasted a couple of months before it started behaving the same way - and worse. I'm either going to wait until my warranty is almost gone (to give Toyota time to come up with a better "fix") and then have the dealership replace it again - or I'm just going to punt and buy an aftermarket unit. I prefer the factory look of the stock unit - but it's a POS even when it works properly. I'll probably go aftermarket.

3. Sep 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    applawman

applawman Well-Known Member

Member:
    OBX
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC SB Pre-Runner
    Had my 09 since May 31 with no problems so far. Although I have only put about 2800 miles on it since then....and I usually use the steering wheel controls.....

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    nascrlvr

nascrlvr Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica Tacoma
    cruise, VS wipers, tint
    Bought our '09 in January. The radio turns itself off and on, the volume control won't work. Can't seem to connect it with being in the sun, etc. Took the truck to the dealership. They were very familiar with the problem. Immediately ordered a replacement. It has now been six weeks. Talked to the service manager; he said still about 2-3 weeks away from receiving it. Ridiculous!!!.......

5. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    My replacement unit is getting worse by the day. Same problems (turns itself on/off, volume knob stops working, display goes blank or displays jibberish, etc.)... just happening more and more often.

I also HATE the low sound level of the Aux. input jack. It's almost useless. I had my iPod plugged into it on the way home today and was trying to listen to a podcast with the windows down and could NOT make it loud enough to hear. Both the iPod and the radio volumes were maxed out and I had to roll the windows up to be able to hear it - and even then it was barely loud enough to hear over the road/wind noise (and I was only going 55-65 MPH). Ridiculous! Whoever allowed this POS radio to make it to production in this truck should be fired immediately.

6. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    Dashe

Dashe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    Black Double Cab SR5 4x4
    debadged, Grillcraft grille with FJ emblem, KC SlimLite Driving Lights behind grille, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach 1.6" lift springs, add-a-leaf, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, BFGoodrich A/T 285/75/16, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CB with Wilson Flex antenna
    yeah, i have an 09 and i just had a problem the other day. it was about the hottest its been in the cab since i got it, and the buttons stopped responding. i found some inspiration from the fonz and quickly remedied the situation. im just hoping this problem doesnt persist.

7. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    03blk27

03blk27 Active Member

Member:
    Manson MA
    Vehicle:
    18 Sand Storm double cab short bed TRD Off Road
    Stock
    09 single cd, first one acted up one mile after rolling off the lot. The second one is just starting to act up now, i just cant belive there letting this go like they are and just slaping the same shit back in.

8. Sep 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Loudon, Tn
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4X4, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr
    Deck plate mod, intake silencer removed, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, debadged, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75R16. Flowmaster knock-off muffler!
    theres a few of out work trucks, 00 tacoma, 1 4X4 & 1 or 2 2wd trucks that have radio mafunctions. they will turn off on thier own, & sometimes the volume button won't work.

9. Sep 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    I've had my 09 for 3 weeks now no problems yet! I did notice that I can turn the radio on by hitting the mode button on the steering wheel. But I can only turn it on not off. Is the problem mostly with the JBL system? I have the 6 disc non-JBL system.

10. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    I think the problem is mainly with the base single-CD non-JBL model - but the others may be crap too for all I know.

If you have steering wheel controls, I think you're supposed to be able to turn the unit on AND off with the mode button. That's how it works in my wife's '07 Camry anyway. You just press it and hold it a couple of seconds and the unit will turn on/off.

11. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    Interesting I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanx.

12. Sep 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Some customers may experience a distortion noise from the JBL sub-woofer. This condition can occur when listening to the CD, Satellite, or Auxiliary audio modes. An updated JBL amplifier is available to address this situation.

See this T-SB-0164-09 file for applicability. NOT all 2009's are affected.

I have had my 2009 since June 1st and I have had no known problems with my stereo and I have used it every day that I have driven it. I have used radio/satellite/CD/Aux with no problems.

Good luck with those that are having difficulties, I feel for you.

13. Sep 23, 2009 at 4:34 AM
    noocs

noocs Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 2x cab short bed
    I have 09 and had the sames issues as everyone else here. I had the unit replaced a month ago and yesterday started having the same problems again. You think they would be able to figure this out.

14. Sep 23, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 Reg. Cab, Debadged Barcelona Red
    seat belt chime inter. wipers debadged canvas top (Bestop)
    The maker of the radio knows there is a problem and they are re-designing the unit. That's why it's taking 6-8 weeks for them to come in. I'm waiting for my 3rd radio. I wouldn't be surprised if a TSB is issued sometime in the near future. Or they might send out little yellow stickers to place on the radio that states...

"This unit may change stations and turn itself off and on without operator influence. Volume control should not be adjusted while driving"

15. Sep 23, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    nascrlvr

nascrlvr Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica Tacoma
    cruise, VS wipers, tint
    The above-mentioned radio is the "plain vanilla" single CD, non JBL standard radio. I forgot to mention that in my description. Maybe this will help clarify who exactly is having problems with which specific radio!!! Thanks for all the posts!!

16. Sep 24, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    I got mine to work. Right when it turns off, punch the front of it as hard as you can. It will come back on but then the display will have cracks.

I went through 2 before I threw it in the garbage and put in aftermarket.

Too bad about the quality of these things.

17. Sep 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    The "mode" button below the tuning button. Press it once to turn the radio on, hold it down for a few seconds to turn it off.
    No problems with my 09, yet.

18. Sep 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I've had my '09 about 2 weeks and have had problems with the radio. I'm going to mention it to the service staff when I take it in to have a scratched when I bought it subwoofer and loose overhead console fixed. It seems to crap out when its hot. Today's a warmer day so we'll see if the radio craps out.

19. Sep 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    I haven't had any problem of any kind with the radio in my '09 (built the end of July '09).

It is a 6-disc changer though and I think the problems were in the single disc players.

20. Sep 24, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    09REG.cabTaco

09REG.cabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 reg cab 4x4SOLD..08 AC trd sport 4x4
    5100s front and back set at 1.75, BHLM, upper grillcraft
    better just to replace it i went through 3 the first 3 months of having my 09 i finally bought an aftermarket. makes it louder and doest mess up everyday

Products Discussed in

To Top