1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM roof rack install 2010 DC LB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OneMentalCase, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    SteelCityPickle

SteelCityPickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    The Burgh
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD Sport V6-6spd
    Extang Tri-Fecta Tonneau Cover
    Anyone know offhand what the weight capacity is on the OEM rack?

2. Oct 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    100 lb

3. Nov 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    I used needle nose pliers to pull up the original weather stripping, an X-acto knife to cut the tape covers of the pre-drilled holes. A "star" shaped screwdriver for the odd shaped bolts (i know they have a name, but idk what it is). 3M adhesive remover to get the back weather stripping off cleanly so the new tape would stick and not peel. A Ball point pen to poke a hole in the covers of pre drilled holes. A tiny screw driver to plug a hole to keep the 2nd hole aligned when putting the 2 "blue" screws in near the front of rack. And maybe a flat head screw driver somewhere, i dont remember. hope that helps

4. Nov 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    Mytacoma2011

Mytacoma2011 Member

Member:
    Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5
    Undercover Bullbar Trailer hicht
    Nice job!!!!

5. Sep 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    kenn72

kenn72 Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks + drivers side lean spacer, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and Toytec AAL, LED interior lights, rear diff breather, anti dark under hood LED's, Redline hood struts, Uniden 520 CB, custom "fabricated" removable tool chest, 265/75R16 MTs + full size spare, Body Armor Sport Rack w/ KC HiLites 5" Apollo Pro lights
    Thank you so much for posting this, OneMentalCase! This was a huge help. I didn't even know this forum existed until I googled OEM rack install on a Taco. I just got mine a week ago, and needed a roof rack.

The tip on bending the front of the clips was priceless. Thanks!

Now, what to do with the original rubber strips?

6. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB
    No problem...Now you could either sell the original rubber strips
    or save them in case you decide to get rid of the rack. The rubber strips are worth some cash...Toyota charges a lot for them! You can sell them all day long on TW!

7. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    Juniorbpd

Juniorbpd Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road
    I am thinking about getting the OEM rack. I see that you pull the weather stripping off but what happens to the weather stripping behind the rack after you install it?? Does it give a replacement strip for both sides?

8. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    kenn72

kenn72 Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks + drivers side lean spacer, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks and Toytec AAL, LED interior lights, rear diff breather, anti dark under hood LED's, Redline hood struts, Uniden 520 CB, custom "fabricated" removable tool chest, 265/75R16 MTs + full size spare, Body Armor Sport Rack w/ KC HiLites 5" Apollo Pro lights
    The OEM rack has weatherstripping built into it for the back, with double sided tape.

I think the hardest thing was lining up the holes with an awl.

9. Sep 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Juniorbpd

Juniorbpd Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the answer

10. Sep 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Code Gray

Code Gray 200 years too late

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Limo tint, black low profile tool box, blacked out emblems, tailgate mod, black XD Addict rims with terra Grapplers, ionic 5" black railway step sides, weather tech mats and deflectors. OME 3" lift with 885s and dakars leaf packs, LED hood and bed lights from Mattgecko, back window bar from mattgecko, black headlight mod, LEDs kit for maps, dome and reverse lights, MrImYo Rear-View Mirror Lift, Red line hood struts, Grillcraft MX black mesh grill.
    That looks good. Now I want one.

11. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    TRDh4vok

TRDh4vok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Palm Beach County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD PreRunner Sport
    -4" MaxTrac Spindle lift -5100 RCD Bilstein's -1/2" Strut Spacer driver's side (Taco Lean fix) -1/4" Strut Spacer passenger side (Taco Lean fix) -4" Tapered Blocks -Extended length U bolts -Front Skid Plate -Exhaust Tip -Tube Steps - Silver -Bed Extender -LEER Tonneau Cover -Rampage Roof Cab Lights -Rampage Tailgate Light Bar Six Function SUPERBRITE with Reverse Lights, Running Lights, Brake lights, Emergency Hazard and L & R turn signals -exLED Toyota Tacoma Custom interior LED Light Kit -PIAA Xtreme White Plus head lights and fog lights -NITTO Terra Grapplers 285-70-17 -30" Avec CR-Series Led Light Bar in bumper grill -Two 6.5" Led light bar's attached to the A pillars -Hood hinge bracket mounts from Famous Fabrications -Exhaust muffler Aero Turbine AT2525XL -OEM Roof Racks -OTTRAW Rocker switch -Stant locking gas cap -Large T emblem and mid mount bracket from Diaz Fabrications
  12. Sep 14, 2023 at 5:54 PM
    Engunir

Engunir New Member

Member:
    Southern California, USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 long-bed crew-cab
    GPS, Ham Radio equipment, Air-shocks
    I'm trying to track down and repair a leak that recently developed in the roof of my 2005 Tacoma. Already, I've stumbled upon a few threads (including this one) that should help me isolate and fix the problem (which I now believe is likely related to the OEM roof-rack).

A few things that I'm sure I'll need to repair the leak(s) is a list of any special items I might need (e.g., special tools, gaskets, sealants,...), the proper torque ratings for the various bolts, and perhaps a few key hints to guide its removal, repair, and reinstallation (hopefully without breaking anything else along the way). I've seen reference made (in this thread) to "Installation Instructions", and I'm hoping that someone can send me an electronic copy (e.g., PDF,...) (or URL where I can download a copy).

Thank-you, in advance, for any wisdom and useful information you can provide.

13. Sep 15, 2023 at 12:56 PM
    Engunir

Engunir New Member

Member:
    Southern California, USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 long-bed crew-cab
    GPS, Ham Radio equipment, Air-shocks
    UPDATE: As I continued searching through the thousands of threads, I finally found what I needed. FOR ANYONE ELSE who also needs the Installation Instructions, I found them under the thread at "https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/roof-rack-installations.462747/#post-13983131". Near the top of the thread where "Frogsause" ATTACHED a copy of the "RoofRack_Install.pdf" document; and (YES!) it does include the torque specs. THANK-YOU!

Here it is, just in case...

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top