1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM spare tire kit wrench or torque wrench?

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by justSomeGirl, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Jul 23, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    For jacking, consider that you may not always be on solid ground. I carry a board that's 14" by 9", 3" thick. I made it by glueing and screwing several layers of plywood together. This gives a larger footprint for the jack, which is needed in soft areas, and raises it so you dont have to work as much on the jack.
    Also, a folding 4 way lug wrench. This will clear any wheel width, provide more leverage for loosening and tightening, and more options to help others if need be.

justSomeGirl[OP] and tacotoe like this.
  2. Jul 23, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    Lezdrivetacos13

Lezdrivetacos13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road
    1" spacer (front), Helo wheels, 4 dogs.
    The torque spec for Tacomas is only 85 ftlbs. If you put some decent muscle into it, that will be more than enough to keep all the lugs on. As far as the fix a flat, you won't be able to take it anywhere after that to get it fixed properly. You would have to hope you did a good enough job or buy a new tire. I would just use the spare to get you to civilization and get it fixed correctly.

justSomeGirl[OP] and tacotoe like this.
  3. Jul 23, 2021 at 8:03 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    So much great advice. It was touched on briefly, but learning where that factory jack is and how to remove the spare, just using everything in general is a great idea prior to having to do it because of a flat.
    My brother text me last week after he had gotten a flat and was saying what a puzzle it was for him trying to figure everything out. (He's not very mechanically inclined). And I told him, yes, and then you need a degree in oragami to fit all that stuff back in the bag.
    Yep your on the right track.

4. Aug 7, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Desert Dog

Desert Dog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Gatos
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB
    Work in progress
    Amen to practice at home. I was on trail with a friend who has a Tundra and he got a flat. We spent 15 minutes trying to lower his tire from under the truck using the same method you would use with the Tacoma. We had the long handle crank thing in the right place but it would not engage the lift mechanism. Finally I got a flashlight out to see why and something look weird because the slot that the crank should go into was not a slot. That’s when my friend said he had this thing in the glove box, he wasn’t sure what it was but remembered the dealer saying something about tire. Turns out he has OEM wheel locks and Toyota not only put wheel locks on each wheel but they also attached the same wheel lock thing on the tire lift mechanism. And what was in the glove box was a matching adapter that snapped on the end of the crank handle for it to work. Fortunately he still had the adapter in the truck but had he practiced beforehand, we could have avoided needless frustration.

Products Discussed in

To Top