1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System Q&A

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HeliMedic, Jan 5, 2017.

1. May 15, 2018 at 3:45 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

Its a really slick setup!

2. May 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    I'll have to wait and see how it turns out. I know guys running similar set up as mine and they really only run into charging issues when its really hot in the summer, majority of the time its fine and they're running almost identical set up as me.

3. May 16, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    Tacomavkk

Tacomavkk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-road DCSB Quicksand
    From descriptions and seeing videos of Australian setups they seem to only run one deep cycle battery for the auxiliary and leave the starter battery as the oem style since it needs cold crank power unlike the auxiliary. Why is that not an acceptable route? I can’t afford to get two batteries and plan on leaving my oem battery as is anyways.

4. May 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    Yeah, that's certainly an acceptable route. Just with OGE dual battery systems as is with the MLACR, it is better to have same type. With the redarc, go for it.

Tacomavkk[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. May 16, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    Different types of batteries have different rates of charge, so within a system, it is best to not mix battery types, but using the redarc DC to DC charger, you can get away with it, because it will condition the voltage for the other battery. If you use the OGE Dual battery system as is with the MLACR, it is best to have same type of construction (AGM versus lead acid versus gel.....)

6. May 16, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    Tacomavkk

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes I was mentioning it in relation to the dc-dc. I’m thinking of calling off-grid to get the kit without the mlacr and then get the REDARC. Although I probably only the 2nd tray as well. I assume all the connections should be similar without having looked into in more detail. I’ll look at installs of REDARC before I order to be sure.

7. May 16, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    Tacomavkk

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Would you be able to post pics of your setup? Would help those of of us considering this route.

8. May 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coop
    Erie/Dacono, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Method double standards 16" COOPER S/T MAXX 285/75/16 DEI clifford 2-way remote start with smart-start. Lift Kings with Dakar TC UCA extended brake lines Keyless POP-N-Lock tailgate lock,relentless tailgate reinforcement, Weather Tech Mats all around, pelfreybilt front bumper steel with middle hoop warn VR-8000s switch Pro lights coming soon see build thread
    After expo west i would call or email matt as i know some are using his kit with Redarc he might beable to ship with out MLACR or ship with REDARC not sure if thats an option right now.

9. May 24, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    Tacomavkk

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Spoke with him today. He acknowledged the alternator issue and said the dc-dc is a good way to go. While he used to sell a kit for a dc-dc he doesn’t anymore and couldn’t help me beyond selling the 2nd tray and I’d be on my own figuring out parts and wiring needed.

Coop68[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coop
    Erie/Dacono, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Method double standards 16" COOPER S/T MAXX 285/75/16 DEI clifford 2-way remote start with smart-start. Lift Kings with Dakar TC UCA extended brake lines Keyless POP-N-Lock tailgate lock,relentless tailgate reinforcement, Weather Tech Mats all around, pelfreybilt front bumper steel with middle hoop warn VR-8000s switch Pro lights coming soon see build thread
    good to know! I am currently looking at voltage boosting mods right now.

tacofort likes this.
  11. May 25, 2018 at 7:18 AM
    2016 Access in White

2016 Access in White Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR Access
    I went the CTEK D250S and SmartPass route with my set-up. Bought it 2 years ago on sale and finally installed 2 weekends ago. Using stock battery and Odyssey Grp 35 as the service battery with Off Grid tray on the passenger side. 80 amp circuit breakers inline to the fuse panel as well as the service battery.
    IMG_8128.jpg

https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/ee2...l_SmartPass_with_Charger_at_Start_battery.pdf

Ignore the dirty battery...the result of the previous weekend...

Solar ready when I get a panel in the future and ready for shore power hook-up if extended storage is required at at a location with A/C power and the purchase of the M300 as shown in the link.

sawbladeduller and Tacomavkk like this.
  12. May 28, 2018 at 6:57 AM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but let’s recap:

MLACR
    -want 2 batteries the same type ( although the ml acr doesn’t care it just links them, it’s the batteries themself that will have different internal resistances and kill each other)
    -automatic linking when charging
    -self jump option
    -auto disconnect when voltage drops
    -no solar input, however if so late is charging one of the batteries the ml act will sence voltage and connect to charge other one together.
    -cost ~150$
    -waterproof
    - will start charging starting battery first then links to charge both batteries at whatever the alt will put out ~200amps

REDARC
    - keeps batteries separate
    - no self jump option, can do it but have to add more wire and soloniods ( more weight)
    - will fully charge aux battery
    -does nothing for starting battery
    -solar input but only to aux Battery
    -Costs ~ 300$
    -rates at 176* so it should not be in the engine bay, operating temp is 190* and during hot weather engine can be over 200*
    -waterproof
    Can only charge at 40amps. Deeply discharged battery will take a while

Only way I can see the redarc being better is if you run everything off the aux battery bank, and want to kept you regular acid battery for starting.

With the REDARC you will need to add more wireing or carry jumper cables for when your starting battery dies. Will also need to run longer wire to keep controller out of engine bay. If your battery is there then it’s more wire and weight.

taco 16, Tacomavkk and tacofort like this.
  13. May 29, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    Tacomavkk

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Great comparison, but are you saying that the alternator issue does not exist? You didn’t address that

14. May 29, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    What alternator issue? If your talking about voltage the batteries need vs what the alternator is putting out?

Here is some of the discussion:

tacofort likes this.
  15. May 29, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    Tacomavkk

Member:
    Woodinville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, The Whole reason the dcdc charger popped up is because people are saying that the alternator isn’t charging AGM batteries fully.

tacofort likes this.
  16. May 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    A DC-DC charger has a couple of advantages. It runs a real multiple step charging profile on the battery it's operating on and this charging profile is not dependent on the source, e.g. it won't care if your vehicle charging system is 14.8 V or 13.5 V, it will produce the right voltage on the battery. Second is they are usually temperature compensated so it adjusts.

17. Jun 22, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    Porter707

Porter707 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 F-250 Powerstroke
    Just want to make sure that 2x NSB-AGM35 Batteries would work in the 2rd gen with your dual battery setup with the passenger tray.

18. Jun 27, 2018 at 1:41 AM
    Sna

Sna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 trd sport 6MT dcsb, mostly stock?
    I'm interested in this set up too and would be willing to try to figure out how to get these up here. I'm in the Edmonton area. Best I have so far is order and have it all shipped to the MSO at Sweetgrass, then have one pick up all orders. Figure out cost for GST at border, fuel for trip, etc and split three ways.

19. Jun 27, 2018 at 1:45 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Best get those up to Sweetgrass ASAP. The tariffs are to kick in last day of the month & if it’s made of steel, you’re gonna pay more for sure. :frusty:

20. Jun 27, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    elclem21

elclem21 Quebeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Clément
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD DCLB
    OME 885x front, TC UCAs, OME Dakars rear, 4.30 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac (rear diff), HomerTaco Raptor Style satoshi grill
    I thought tariffs will apply for raw steel and aluminum products? These are finished products.

To Top