1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off road and alignment

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by OBJMS33, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mar 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    OBJMS33

OBJMS33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    I have an 05 four banger with plain 4x4. My buddy has a TRD v-6. He says his alignment is off after taking his off road. I got mine just to go to the snow but
    the fire and power line roads are looking attractive. I have a bike for my off roading and had planned on only using this truck to go to the snow. Since I will be doing a lot of freeway driving i don't want this thing pulling to the side. Any thoughts on this. If some mild off roading is going to affect my alignment noticebly I will just stick to my bike. But I know a lot of two track dirt roads and now that I have this awesome truck I would like to go down a few.

2. Mar 9, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Mild off-roading will not hurt your alignment from my experiences. If you do happen to get it out of alignment go to sears for the front alignment. Sears alignment jobs carry a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty, if it gets out of alignment again...............free service!!!

3. Mar 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    I ignore a lot of this friends experiences. He's a good guy for sure, but our thoughts on these kinds of things usually differ. Me I like torque wrenches. Him, he just cranks stuff down. I'm more meticulous. Especially with my new 20k freaking investment!!:eek::D

4. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Mild offroading really doesn't effect your alignment. You would really have to hit hard from say a big jump or hit the wheel on the side against a rock. You should be fine with some moderate wheeling. If you are that worried, here is what you can do. Get an alignment before you go offroading (at Sears like DK said). Ask for a print out of the results. Go do your offroading in the taco. Then go back to Sears and tell them it feels like it is pulling to the side and have them do it again. Get another print out of the results and compare to the original. They should tell you whether or not it is in fact "out of alignment". Plus it would be free under their warranty. That should settle or prove your worries.

5. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I was thinking about this exact issue the other day when I was doing a little dirt trailing. Very minor though, no big bumps or hills. I was kind of worried about my alignment at first but I've invested to much in my truck to baby it that much! I mean come on, 3" lift with 33's and TC UCA's!! Got to do some off-roading!!:D

6. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    I don't plan on getting crazy. I know a lot of good roads that are pretty tame by 4x4 standard. When I was out in the desert on the way to the mountains the other week I started looking at all these groomed fire roads that I would go right down on my KLR. Only reason I did not go was past experience I knew not to go alone and such stuff. I was on my way to go snowboarding and knew I could come back to San Diego and try out the roads I know here. And after getting more time to look around on here.
    All your answers are really helpful. Thanks!

7. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    OBJMS33

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    05-4cyl-4x4
    none
    Truck came with brand new BFG A/T's too. Got up around Bishop and Mammoth lakes and saw some of the roads I was just riding in summer with about a foot of snow on them and was drooling! Wanted to check out friends comments.

8. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    +1! I've already had mine aligned twice and it's about to go in a third time in the next week or so (coilover adjustments, not offroading alignment problems).

9. Mar 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah...i've had mine aligned 3 times from firestone since last august. i took it in at 200 miles for the first alignment after the spacer lift....then in november after wheeling, then again the other week after CO's and rear setup

EDIT: oh yeah...forgot to mention that i have the firestone lifetime as well. they say it can be done every 6k miles...or as needed

10. Mar 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1 on the Firestone lifetime alignment. When i get my new tires- It'll cost me 150 more cause I'll be getting it for the truck!!!

11. Mar 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I have had one alignment after my billys were put on, I have hit hard a few times going a little fast down some fire roads, I think I will do an alignment twice a year. It still drives straight as a arrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top