1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-Road vs. Sport, and Access vs. DBSB?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Nrbeal12, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    Nrbeal12

Nrbeal12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So while I wait for the release of the 2018 Tacoma, I think I am questioning my decision to go with an Access Cab TRD Sport more and more.

It looks to me as if you can't fit any more than 1 dirt bike in an Access Cab with the bed closed, and while I rarely ride by myself, believe I'll be having the bed down regardless of whether I go Access or DCSB.

I love the look of the TRD sport, but it seems like you get more "bang for your buck" with an OR. And living in Ohio, I feel like the Rear Locker and Crawl Control may come in handy in the snowy winter months.

So overall my needs for the truck are:
    Haul dirt bikes
    Haul kayaks
    Haul coolers/motorcycle equipment etc.

Seating 4 is not a necessity as I am 22 years old with no kids and single, but if I would like to keep this truck for 10+ years. Does it make sense to opt for a Double Cab?

I can't bring myself to buy a DCLB, just don't like the look or the way they drive (too long).

And lastly, yes like most of us, I am superficial and love the look of the sport. The thought of adding a scoop to the OR is there, but i still prefer the color matched flairs, and hood scoop on the Sport.

I guess my main questions are:

For those of you who have an access do you wish you would have bought a double?

For those of you with/without an Off Road, do you find yourself wishing you had the rear locker and crawl control, or do you really not use it enough to make a difference?

Thanks guys.

2. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
    Bang for buck, OR. Overall ride quality, OR IMHO. But honestly when it comes down to it you need to have a long hard discussion with yourself and determine your needs. I have an OR and would not want it any other way but for what I do and what most do, its overkill. I have not used MTS or Crawl Control once, I did use the locker but it was mainly for fun. Trails here in CO range from dirt roads to full blown crawling, I am still stock mobbing ATM but when i do go with larger tires and a lift i will be more confident which will lead to the locker (likely) being needed. I moved here from PA so I understand your winters, at the end of the day you do not need anything more than an SR. but I get it with the superficial-ness lol. The sport and OR are both good options but based on what you explained i would go Sport DCSB as you will hopefully drive this thing for a long time and you never know what could happen. good luck with the purchase!

Nrbeal12[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    TA2016

TA2016 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AT V6 4x4 ACLB P&T Package Red
    I went through the same decision process before purchasing. I have a Sport Access Cab and am happy with my choice. Rarely use the rear seats, wanted the long bed to haul stuff, fits in my garage and I like the looks of the Sport Access Cab. I have a few friends that have Double Cabs because they needed it. Get what you need and like.

Also, check out the picture of the Off Road on this link. Rear locker and crawl control did not seem to help on this icy road last December.

http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2016...e-averaging-five-crashes-an-hour-in-the-snow/

sonocotaco likes this.
  4. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
    LOL! can't fix stupid....

5. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    I came "this close" to getting an access cab, but ended up going with a double cab instead. I've hauled a gigantic KTM950ADV and a dirt bike with no problems.
    I have an Off Road, but mine doesn't have crawl control, so I can comment on that. As for the locker, I've been off roading a few times (mostly muddy stuff), but haven't had to use it yet.

6. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    For an extra 600 plus bucks, the locker is worth it? That being said, I love my sport. However based on the price of the off road, I feel the sport is over priced.

If you want a manual trans, you don't get crawl control.

From what I can tell, most who get the off road too off road, they change a bunch of shit anyways, so the sport would be fine, except for those off road stickers on the bed.

7. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Yup, I bought an OR and have changed almost everything except the e-locker. I bought used so I didn't have the range of options, I wanted Access Cab and manual so it was a matter of buying the one that came up. If I was buying new I'd probably get an SR5 or possibly even a base SR since I end up modifying the crap out of my truck anyway.

To the OP, when I bought my first truck I got an extended cab since back then that was the larger cab option. Some full size trucks had crew cabs with four doors but mostly trucks were still trucks back then. Personally I prefer more bed over cab space so to carry 4 people, say for skiing or something, we have a Subaru Forester now but previously have had a 4Runner, Jetta wagon, etc. All of them are much better for people and dog hauling on a daily basis. So my $0.02 is buy a truck to be a truck and a car to be a car.

8. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    Baerskin

Baerskin Rocking in the Free World

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Premium 4x4
    Stock
    Everyone and their dog is going to tell you to get an OR.

Thuguon2.7 likes this.
  9. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    FHC

FHC Well-Known Member

Member:
    When I was young the access cab was cool and I had a double cab Tundra, now I'm older I have an access cab and the double cab seems to be the cool thing. Soooooooo I have nothing to contribute. :rofl:

And I have a Sport.

specter208 likes this.
  10. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    First off, get what makes you happy, never compromise on something that expensive. I went with the access cab, off road because it had all the features I will probably never need but are at my fingertips if I do. No regrets, 6 months in and loving it!!

11. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:23 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    Where I am, the OR and the Sport are the same price. I actually had a 16 Sport but got in bad wreck and replaced it with a 17 OR. I researched the two models a lot before I made my initial purchase and I landed on the Sport because I felt it better met my needs. I off roaded with it and did just fine. But when I had the chance to replace it, I opted for the OR because I felt it was a better value. They are both great trucks.

12. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    The Off Road and Sport are the exact same price, go with the Off Road. The roads are quite harsh here in Ohio and that stiff suspension in the Sport will get old fast, plus the Off Road will do better when the snow flies.

airborndad likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access cab is a pain, I was forced to choose it and I would recommend against it unless you're a hermit or you have other vehicles. I had an adult in the back of mine twice and it was awful. Even groceries in the back seat sucks because you have to have both doors open.

14. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    The back of the Access Cab isn't the worst place to sit if you're shorter than like 5'6", but yeah, if you're gonna carry greater than two people often it's not good. It's a ton better than the old XtraCab was, which without the suicide doors wasn't really for sitting unless you're a kid. The extra cab space for us is where important gear goes, camera, maps, lunch, etc. Personally, if I was planning on carrying passengers often I'd get a 4Runner and a trailer.

15. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:36 AM
    weefek

weefek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR ACLB
    I'm one of the lucky ones (If you could call it that) that have had two different trucks this year. Limited DCLB and now an OR ACLB.

I must say, I like the access cab better. I don't drive anyone around often so the seating isn't an issue for me. It's a lot easier to use suicide style door than have two normally opening doors in my opinion. Makes putting stuff in the cab easier, and cleaning a hell of a lot easier. In my opinion the AC also looks better, especially with a long bed (which I specifically wanted).

In terms of the ride, my previous Limited didn't have quite the same suspension setup as the Sport so it's not a direct comparison. However, the OR ride is much better (obviously, softer suspension, bigger tires). I like the way it drives about 10x more than the Limited.

The Limited (SR5)/ Sport suspension is way too stiff for my liking, I had wheel hop happening all the time. With the OR it's a totally different story.

Plus it looks more badass. And was a hell of a lot cheaper.

Biggest downside as far as I can see is the lack of the bed light with the AC. Also no rear brakelight/bedlight leak failures though.

Ledfoot 26 and shakerhood like this.
  16. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Here is the ranked importance of items for driving in snow:
    Competent and attentive driver> Properly functioning vehicle> good tires (ideally snow tires)> 4x4/AWD> crawl control/mts/ other electronic nannies

DaveInDenver and FHC like this.
  17. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    IDK, man. I'd move 4x4 way up that list.

Bigmo and FHC like this.
  18. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Sounds like you need more bed space. You can swap out your sport shocks for nearly new OR shock right here on TW, buy some some more aggressive tires and you won't need the Locker nearly as much as you think because all other Tacomas come with Limited-Slip differential systems.

19. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    The driver and tires are both bigger factors than 4wd. A front wheel drive Civic with snow tires will only be limited if the snow gets high enough that the bumper becomes a plow.

20. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Seems like he would just be better off with an Off Road to start with versus replacing Suspension and Tires.

FHC likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top