1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-road with Prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SilverTaco03, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    SilverTaco03

SilverTaco03 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Just sold my Jeep and went back to a Tacoma. I had a 2001 and this time got an 2003. I have to say I had the TRD package before but never took the truck off the pavement except maybe in a few fields.

In 2006 I bought a Jeep, built it up and off-roaded it hard. Went a lot of places and really worked that Jeep out. However we moved to a large city and the built of Jeep was just too much for here.

I didn't go with the 4x4 because the 1st thing I started doing when thinking about buying another tuck was looking at building it up again. Which was the reason the Jeep found a new home. So I had to stop myself by getting the Prerunner.

So for all those guys out there who do take these off the pavement what really am I looking at here? I've been to Moab so references there will work.

I guess the question really is what will the locker help push you over or get you unstuck from? On my Jeep I had front and rear lockers and it wasn't kidding around when those were engaged. I know this will be far less only having 1 axle pushing.

Anyway tell me your war stories or show some picks. I'd be interested in getting a feel for what's possible.

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Welcome to the forum!!

Ahhhh....I know exactly how you feel. I sold my built Jeep a few months ago.

Since you seem to be a seasoned offroader..... I think you'll have a lot of fun challenging yourself on the terrain with 2WD. You'll have to focus more on picking the proper lines and utilizing driving skills to get you over obstacles.

You're already familiar with lockers - and I really wouldn't think there'd be much difference in terms of 2WD/4WD locker usage. Maybe with the 2WD, you get better turning radious than in 4WD (ass end pushing).

Get out there and have fun with the challenge. Remember to remind yourself to be EASY on the throttle.....since you've only got 2 wheels pushing the entire vehicle forward, you could stress out the drivetrain. I'm sure you already know what that can do.

Products Discussed in

To Top