1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Roading that allows 4x2 trucks??

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Reckless44, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    Reckless44

Reckless44 [OP] RecklessGrl

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Front Suspension: Camburg 4" lift spindles, DR (Icon) Race Coilovers. OEM upper control arms, SS brake lines Rear Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift Dakar leaf springs, matching Old Man Emu rear shocks, extended rear SS brake line
    Thank you!!!!! I've been wanting to take my son somewhere and didn't have a clue where to go. I appreciate the info guys!

2. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    mercurymullet

mercurymullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    bronco frame under a mountaineer
    Bring him to the desert at some point, my kids love it. Tonkas and sleds. (may not apply, don't know his age)

3. Apr 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Front Suspension: Camburg 4" lift spindles, DR (Icon) Race Coilovers. OEM upper control arms, SS brake lines Rear Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift Dakar leaf springs, matching Old Man Emu rear shocks, extended rear SS brake line
    Where exactly are you referring to? We'd go to Johnson Valley all the time to camp and ride dirt bikes but circumstances changed that somewhat but I'm working on changing that!! He is 6 and would probably play with anything haha....I'm really wanting to take him off roading and there aren't many places around where I live to go and as I've posted before, I love driving through the mud, water and loose dirt so we can drift a little :) He LOVES that stuff just like his mom! :D

4. Apr 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    Bedford is a fun trail with some nice views. Been up there a couple of times with my friends. I like Indian Truck Trail better. It's just a little further south down the 15 but it is currently closed.

5. Apr 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Why do you like Indian better?

6. Apr 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    Last time I went to bedford the trail was pretty rocky and torn up for the first little bit. It wasn't a problem getting up there in a 2wd, just tedious at times. Indian truck trail has some ruts but isn't nearly as bad.

7. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    mercurymullet

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Most of the San Diego guys and some of the IE guys frequent the Imperial desert. Truck haven is the closest but a lot of 4wd stuff, Ocotillo wells has big open washes and sand areas to slide around. It also has some mud after rains. Superstition is the furthest and is pretty much like OW but you trade the big washes for sand dunes.

The skinny-truck haven is closer but can be frustrating with a 2wd-OW is you best overall bet, most to offer, has bath rooms and easiest to get around due to street signs and maps-super is less crowded, the furthest and no amenities.

Either way its 130-150 mile one way for you which is a long day trip and even longer with a 6 year (mine are 3 and 6). There is an AMPM at salton city on the 86. You can off road from there to OW which is a cool drive, gives you plenty of gas and allows you to stock up on whatever is needed. But I think you and your son would enjoy it a couple times a year and it nice to see all the trucks. (and an occasional grocery getter)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    mercurymullet

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
  9. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yeah that's quite far for a day trip. I would do it and camp if I had a bigger group going with me but am too worried to go alone (I'm a sissy). I appreciate the info and if you ever think of anything else, feel free to pass it on!

10. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Rocky makes it a little more fun to drive over :) When will Indian be open?

11. Apr 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    mercurymullet

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    Thats kinda what I meant as far as camping, and I also assumed you would go with a group. Keep an eye out on the forum and san diego BS. Groups go out regularly.

12. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    It really hard to tell when they open that trail. It's closed pretty often lately. You can see the status on earlier post. All these trails I'd recommend at least another truck go along. How many times I've been stuck, broke, or crashed into something. There are also a bunch of trails in corona and perris area that I won't mention because it really isn't too legal to off road out there but you can get some speed and drift every turn. Also some huge whoops that I like to hit.

13. Apr 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Oh, yeah well unfortunately I lost most of my camping group so I'm pretty much solo, so right now the day trips are what's good for me. I tried posting a thread looking for other girls on here to get a group going but no luck with that.

14. Apr 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yeah I thought about that and making sure someone else is with me. Hmmm, Corona is close to me....I'm an avid law breaker as it is LOL so if you were to secretly mention something I'd be sure to not say who told me :p

15. Apr 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    I'm getting the truck back together this weekend. I only have a few welds left to finish up,a ton of black spray rattle can action, and rebuild my rear shocks. And I'll be ready for my shake down to see if I can break anything. Better than finding a problem 130 miles from home. I'll let you know when I'm going out. I usually only go out on weekends. The guys on here a really mellow. They love their trucks too much to be creepy. Good luck finding any chicks on here, but a lot of guys on here bring their girlfriends/wives on trail runs so you won't be the only girl if we stop and rest.

So far my favorite mess around area is the back side of canyon lake. It is blm but for some reason sheriff love to chase me outta there. Mostly beacause you need to cross private property for a few seconds. I still haven't found anything too exciting around corona. I may try to explore stuff off cajalco rd. If you have time (like 4hrs to kill) Hemet is a gold mind of cool side trails. Pretty much all this stuff is located in tweakerville. It adds to the excitement factor.

16. Apr 4, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    mercurymullet

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    ^^^^^^^^^X2
    I bring atleast my son most of the time also if not both kids.

17. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Cool, thanks! I don't have the suspension to be doing crazy stuff but I'm all for taking my truck and doing what I can in it. Hemet huh? Not close but I could make it a day trip! LOL, I'm picturing getting chased by the Sheriff's....

18. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM
    Reckless44

Member:
    First Name:
    Susie
    Chino, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    My son is going to love going! We went to Johnson Valley last October and a buddy drove my truck (he races) and had us drifting and it was a blast! I was thinking of taking him to one of the mentioned places this Sunday.

19. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    Airdog

Airdog did your Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/airdogs-2012-prerunner-access-cab-slow-build.264263/
    As of right now almost all trails in the Santiago area are closed. Only one open is South Main Divide and that entrance is all the way down off Ortega highway.
    HERE is the link to the trails status. Hopefully it changes today.

20. Apr 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    mercurymullet

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    I drove my stock 5 lug in the desert for awhile with 205/75 street tires.:D I've never seen any of the taco guys leave any one behind or "outrun" some one with stock suspension. Alot of guys are stock or stockish, and the group might split if its big enough.

My brother said he goes to a place in landers off the 62. Alot of roads and trails.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top