1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Coaching BS Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Pope953, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    Pope953

Pope953 [OP] That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Did a quick search and couldn't find anything like this.

So this year I'm helping a buddy coach basketball for 9-10 year olds. I've never coached before and Im a little nervous. I've umpired some baseball games for Little League baseball. I kinda know what to expect but still nervous.

Do those of you, that have kids, or have coached before give me any pointers? Something to help me know how to react to parents, or how to run a practice? Just anything that would be some good or even what not to do would be great.

Also we can leave this open for any random BSing about coaching and sports.

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 [OP] That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Anyone?

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    ok, I saw your post. I have coached & been an instructor in the service.
    I think its great you are being involved and becoming a mentor!

First All eyes will be on you so first is you have to walk the walk or, in other words, be an example.
    2 - Be prepared.
    Write up a practice outline ahead of time & reherse it with your kids if you have time prior.
    Ask other coaches for their input or favorite drills. Keep them in a notebook or folder.
    Make it longer so there is no idle time. Kids get bored and bored kids lead to distractors.
    3- Keep records as in attendance book or some sort of note book so you can review with the other coach, take notes on the good or bad of the practice.
    ** This also helps if a parent or player/student questions something, you have notes to go back on not just your memory.
    4- Keep it fun, multiple drills help like stations so everyone is busy and has a purpose.
    5- Keep it fun, did I say that? lol ...
    even the not so talented young person has something to contribute, it's hard sometimes to find it but I found if I stopped paying attention to what they couldn't do, the things they could do became more obvious.
    6- Let the players be vested in their team.
    Set written goals on poster board. Ask for their input what they want. Maybe a community event or something outside the Sport that promotes cameraderie.
    We use to volunteer a charity event, scavenger hunts, go to a college team or pro game together. Wearing their jerseys means alot to them and that is what they will remember.
    7 - Find someone who can take pictures. A guy I work with did that for all his kids teams. The players & parents loved it and it gets other parents involved. Kids like pictures!

Good luck. Maybe others will chime in...

Products Discussed in

To Top