1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Crawlbox BS thread!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HomerTaco, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    Thought about doing that, but there is a transmission mount and cross member in the way that prevented me from backing that bolt all the way out to put washers there. I thought about removing the cross member and mount, but I had just filled the crawl box and the bolts for the trans mount go through and through into the bellousing, which fills with oil on the manual when you fill the crawl box.

Trust me i stressed out about this for quite awhile and thought about draining and dropping the whole thing to fix it, drill everything out and do it right. But it was 2am, I was tired, and I was leaving for Moab in 24 hours. After @6 gearT444E told me his bottom two bolts were missing for 2 years and someone else told me they were missing two, I said fuck it.

I have the proper pitch and length bolt to go in there next time it is empty and will drill out the threads next time I drop the cases.

2. Mar 4, 2020 at 11:53 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    No leaks on my tg dual cases.

3. Mar 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM
    clupi

clupi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco 4x4
    Is that where I've seen guys using a stud instead of the bolt? Can't you go to the harware store and get a shorter bolt?.. its crazy when you pay that much money things are not worked out.. makes me reconsider buying a dual case!

4. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    When you’re doing a mod as custom as something like this you have to expect some bumps in the road. Comes with the territory.

rmac010, slander and clupi[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    hoverlover

hoverlover Never pet a burning dog.

Member:
    C-137, Laniakea, Virgo, Milky Way, Earth, USA, TX
    Vehicle:
    Things. Stuff. Lots of bad decisions.
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    No cupholders were harmed in the making of this mod.

image.jpg

67E27871-BE11-4491-825B-D8E1C7988737.jpg

My torch is at my house back in Texas. I'll bend the xfer case sticks straight and tack on an extension for the crawl box to sit level.

I RTV'd the piss out of everything and left the UV lights on it all day. 2qts in and no leaks so far

:fingerscrossed:

image.jpg

6. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Another triple stick in a 2nd gen. :cool:
    Welcome to the club, by my count you are member #3. :D

7. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    clupi

clupi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sacramento Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco 4x4
    I guess... you would think its well planned out if executed right, its nice to know you can depend on your rig when youre out 5- 10 hrs from anything or anybody to get help. Back in the day I had a 85 pickup with a MC dual case and stuff like this was unheard of

8. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    hoverlover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    Awesome :taco:

Here's the first crawl from earlier

https://youtu.be/r8k0JYnl58U

My FJ case doesn't do 2Low though. It won't go into low unless it's in 4wd. What's up with that?

9. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    Littles

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    :bananadance:

Congratulations man. That's a good feeling when it all works.

When you has the tcase open to modify the rail, did you remove the pill between the rails?

Please say yes...

10. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    I'm gonna guess no.

11. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    hoverlover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    But of course

image.jpg

12. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    hoverlover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    Thanks dude :fistbump:

It was a fun project and so far my favorite. My back hurts, my knees hurt, my hands are good and sore, and my ribs are fucking killing me: I'm freaking stoked about this one.

Grins, cheers, and beers all around on that first compound low

jubei and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  13. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    theesotericone

Member:
    Bishop CA
    I've never been more glad to be wrong. Did you grind down the shift rails enough to allow them to clear each other? Did you bench test the case and did 2lo work?

hoverlover[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    hoverlover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    I did grind them, on the x and the y axis. They moved past each other smoothly. It's been a flurry trying to get this done on a schedule, I honestly can't remember if I bench tested 2Low. I know I tested it and the crawl box while they were mated and sitting on the floor but it's very possible I overlooked function testing 2Low.

15. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    theesotericone

Member:
    Bishop CA
    With the interlock pin gone the only thing preventing 2lo would be interference either in the linkage or in the shift rails. I hope it's the linkage. I've got a 3rd gen 4runner with a J-shift and am not totally familiar with the FJ case but I believe they are basically the same. I had to grind down more of the shift rails then I thought I would to allow them to clear.

hoverlover[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I have been running dual cases since 2008 and they all seem to leak. My lefty just sprang a random leak, it's something you just accept.

HomerTaco[OP] and hoverlover like this.
  17. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    Littles

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    X2. I think the first time I ground it down, i got the rails to clear each other, but shifter tab or whatever it's called was still catching on the nub that wasnt ground down enough.

HomerTaco[OP] and hoverlover like this.
  18. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    Littles

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    And I hope we are both wrong ...again. but i am trying to think of ways to diagnose without pulling it all.

19. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    You need to make sure you are using the right length bolt for that, I blew out the inside of my low range housing being a dumbass using a bolt too long. I pieced it back together again using "the right stuff" and it held up until I built a new box and lefty a few years later.

How are you sealing the bolts? I always go 360* around the hole with the sealant then splooge a bunch on the bolt before I thread it in and I have been lucky with no real leaks around the bolts.

Get that red crap out of there and get some right stuff.

6 gearT444E likes this.
  20. Mar 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    hoverlover

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Zip-Ties
    The linkages seem to have full range of motion. It's tripping the sensors for 2/4wd and 4Hi/4Lo on the dash so I can only assume they are traveling the proper distance inside the t-case. I'll have to set aside some time to pull it all down and get in there and have a better look eventually. For the time being, I should be alright with the 4.7. Plus the compound low works fine. I'll make sure 4WD works tomorrow after I get the FJ tube installed. If it doesn't then I know I seriously fucked something up in the t-case somehow.

When I put the first bolt in there and it bottomed out, I pulled it and put in the shortest bolt that came with the kit. I stacked washers and left it the way it was in the pic. When it started leaking, I pulled it and filled it with RTV. Plenty of guys run without BOTH bottom bolts, I think I'll be fine with 1. I'll get a cross-member support put together for the crawl box soon and I think that'll be pretty solid.

"The Right Stuff" is made by Permatex, the red crap I used is an aviation-grade high temp oil and fuel resistant Permatex RTV sealant, very much the same thing. If not better. I figure if it's approved by Airbus, Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, and Lockheed Martin it's good enough for a Toyota.

Bigdaddy4760 likes this.
To Top