1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Official" Firestone RideRite + Lift Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleblue81, May 28, 2013.

1. Jul 10, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    MilesToEmpty

MilesToEmpty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Frederick Co, MD
    Vehicle:
    '13 Baja TX
    Wheelers Progressive AAL, Firestone RideRite airbags.
    I found this nice video online...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHlfjUcGpc

Im also concerned about installing this kit with my new 3 leaf AAL. But I guess with this system, I dont really need the new springs anyway...

2. Jul 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I put a daystar cradle in one side today. Install went pretty easy. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the better ride quality yet because as I was doing it I realized the schaeder valve on the side I did was junk and leaking. I ordered 2 new ones. So right now I'm running zero psi. When the valve comes in. I put the cradle on the other side and see how it rides

3. Jul 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    MilesToEmpty

MilesToEmpty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Frederick Co, MD
    Vehicle:
    '13 Baja TX
    Wheelers Progressive AAL, Firestone RideRite airbags.
    Any of the Baja guys have anymore updates? Dove into this thread and saw some concerns on the Bajas.

4. Jul 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Just put them on my TRD Pro today with Daystar cradles. Even with stock springs the axle brace does not touch the axle so I guess something Firestone hasn't changed since Toyota changed to the 4 leaf rears. You have to make sure the bracket for the lower mount is turned so the side with the hole (not the slot) faces the shock to keep the bracket from rubbing on the shock boot. Have them at 12psi right now which puts things at 37.5" to the center of the fender from the floor al the way around. No Taco Lean on the Pro yet, but it was a bit of an Ass Dragger even stock, and looked worse when I added the shell. With the 12psi it is even looking at the fender openings and slightly tail high as there is more overhang in the rear than in the front. Rake looks close to a stock Taco TRD OR.

Partzguy likes this.
  5. Jul 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    How's the ride?

6. Jul 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    RKCRUZA

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    About like stock before the shell from what little I have driven it. Neighbors Rd has some speed bumps, bit of a bump at 10mph, don't know they are there at 30mph so definitely work well going faster.

Also, Firestone is including a valve mounting kit in the new sets. Hooks to the 2" receiver tube with a couple of zip ties. Works pretty slick. I mounted mine on the top of the tube rather than the bottom. A bit more hassle to air up when needed, but figured they might get trashed if on the bottom side.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  7. Jul 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    tacoma steve

tacoma steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    What are you guys pumping them up with? A comprosser or a hand pump? If you are going to pickup up a load of something do you pump them up before you go or when you put the load in the bed? Still trying to decide if I want these.

Thanks
    Steve

8. Jul 13, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I have a compressor but may just keep a small pump in the bed or behind the seat, my compressor isn't hard wired and has alligator clips to attach to the battery terminals which, frankly, it's my preferred setup. It would be easier to have the compressor occupying one of the rear bed storage boxes and hard wired, so I can attach a filler on an air line, hit the switch and go.

9. Jul 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    It literally take 3 or 4 pumps with a bike pump to inflate the bags. Unless you want to figure a way to make a compressor fill while u can sit in the cab I wouldn't waste the effort with it.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2015 at 3:02 PM
    tacoma steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    If the compressor is in one of the storage compartments do you have to worry about condescension in the compresser?

11. Jul 13, 2015 at 3:03 PM
    tacoma steve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Oh really 4 pumps will give what psi in the bags? 3-4 pumps isnt bad

12. Jul 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Thanks.. I figured as much with such small psi numbers needed for loads, but I'd still like this setup or something similar to it. More for tire inflating than bag inflating, but handy for doing either.

Is there a small hand pump that would work so I don't have to store a 3 foot pump in my truck?

13. Jul 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I'd say 3-5 pumps with my cheap ass harbor freight bike pump give 10 psi.
    I'd really be worried about overinflation with a compressor.
    I have one of these...image_14815.jpg
    But as long as the hose is long enough for where ever you put your fill valve you could use this image_17211.jpg
    And realistically even this would work. It really doesn't take much especially considering you won't be changing psi that often. Just make sure it is schaeder valve comparable

Screenshot_2015-07-13-19-12-33.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    T4RFTMFW likes this.
  14. Jul 13, 2015 at 11:11 PM
    RKCRUZA

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    With a compressor you usually give them a quick shot and then lower the pressure to where you want. Unless you are hauling a way huge load you won't normally need over about 20psi. I've had my Tundra to 40psi but that was with way too much oak in the bed and only about 2 blocks to drive.

15. Dec 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    petercberry

petercberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport
    Current Build: --Old Man Emu Lift Kit (including 885s up front + Heavy Duty 96R in rear) --Procomp 7069 17" --BFG AT KO2 275/70/17 Old Components (since removed): -- Bilstein 5100 all around. Front at 2.5" -- Rear Firestone RideRite Airbags
    Has anyone put daystar cradles on after first running just the bags? if so, did you notice any additional lift from the cradles? i'm currently running bilstein 5100 all around (2.5" in front) with just the airbags in the back without daystar cradles. the back end is super stiff and i have to set bags at about 40psi to keep her level. will adding the cradles add a bit more lift to the rear end, allowing me to deflate the bags a bit for a softer ride? thoughts/advice?

16. Dec 28, 2015 at 11:55 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    I got my Ride Rite extensions from E Trailer. More than they were worth at $35 a set plus shipping, especially for having to custom cut the length and drill the original bottom plates for mounting. The link below shows the method of mounting. Same price for either a 2" ,4", or 6" extension. I'll be using mine with the Daystar cradles. If someone lifts from the frame, the rear end would be suspended from the bags, not good.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-and-grooving.348487/page-3480#post-11453369

17. Dec 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    pudge151

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    I did this. No additional lift noted

petercberry[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Finally got my bags on yesterday. I used the Daystar cradles, and put in 20 lbs air. Smooth ride, no difference from stock until speed bump, then it's stiff. No slap from the cradles either. 20 lbs lifts 1 1/2", and only sank 1/2" with a load of nine bags of concrete and 3 4x4x12'ers hanging out the back. That's what I'm talking 'bout!

IMG_1673.jpg

A couple tips on the installation:
    I didn't cut the bump stops, I simply removed them, all of two minutes FTMFW. Only thing to watch for is to get the U bolts lined up where they belong.

The Ride Rite doesn't really fit the 2015 Taco just by itself. You do need an adapter spacer to get down to the axle, as the bottom mount doesn't reach it. There isn't a standard spacer, either, so you have to shorten one to fit. The picture below shows my 2" spacer, cut down to fit. Some guys weld these on, but I used the bolts supplied 'cause welded would be a problem in the future if I decide to upgrade the leaf springs.

What comes with the kits are jam nuts, which are a pain to use. I changed out all the jam nuts for Nylocks.

I installed two separate schraeder valves onto the 9 pin rack under the bumper. Works out fine. I think Teeing them together would handle poorly when cornering or with an uneven load.
    IMG_1664.jpg

19. Dec 31, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    So, you ordered that spacer kit from Firestone? I put Dakars in a couple of months ago. I didn't even think about this...

20. Dec 31, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    No, I didn't even know about the need for the extensions till I went to install them. I finally found them at E Trailer, nobody else seemed to know about them. They come in 2", 4", and 6" lengths. I ordered the 2" extensions for my stock 2015 TRD. Note: These are not lifts, they only extend the length of the mounting plate to meet your axle for the required support for the bottom plate.

The extension fab is the most time consuming, the install itself only takes a couple hours.
    Below is how they are fitted to your particular application:

Lay out and drill the mounting holes on the base unit.
    IMG_1639.jpg

Make a template of the required height, transfer it to the extensions, and cut off the excess length.
    IMG_1637.jpg

Cut it just shy of your scribe line.
    IMG_1646.jpg

Grind the radius to match the axle.
    IMG_1648.jpg

The installed extensions.
    IMG_1649.jpg

If your template was good, it will match up and you're good to go.
    IMG_1664.jpg

MY50cal, BahiaTaco and PaulK like this.
To Top