1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Official" Firestone RideRite + Lift Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleblue81, May 28, 2013.

1. Jul 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Taco Loco 04

Taco Loco 04 Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Nice clean setup! I'd like a built-in gauge, as it would make it a lot easier than having to pull out my low PSI-reading battery-powered pressure gauge. Also, a small compressor is totally unnecessary for the small volume air bags. I now just use a portable bike pump like you'd carry mountain biking (or road riding), and in 10 pumps I'm riding level with 500 lbs.

This week, I left mine at 10 psi, and I think the ride might be slightly improved over 5 psi or less. It could be subconscious though...

When I have time, I'm going to turn down the Daystar cradles by 1/2" and see if that helps, and if I can run the bags empty or very low psi with no negative affects to ride quality.

2. Jul 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    LoMa

LoMa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport AT MGM
    Anybody have any long term feedback with their airbags?

3. Jul 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    B100BOB

B100BOB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    New Windsor, MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tacoma DCSB
    You don't want to run them empty, at least while using the Daystars. Tried it. Worst ride ever. Cracks in the pavement felt like speed bumps. I'm getting used to 15 lbs. May try some different shocks. Mine have 66,000 miles on them. Not sure at what point most of you replace the rears.

4. Jul 11, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    Finally got mine installed - with an All-Pro U-bolt flip. Had to make some seats for the Daystars and weld them onto the base plates.DSCN0887.jpg
    DSCN0885.jpg
    Daystar Base Plate.jpg
    Might have to offset them a bit more toward the center of the truck if I make another set. The Firestone upper brackets don't line up well with the lowers - which I used to design the mount. The lapped and welded 3/8 plate is plenty strong for this offset - doesn't need an extra leg to the housing tube. Rides nice at 10 - 15 psi.

wildbuellrider and Kolunatic like this.
  5. Jul 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    PDX_Cray

PDX_Cray Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Blue
    Ok this is cool. I have a ubolt flip and was wanting bags..this looks great!

6. Jul 26, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    B100BOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    New Windsor, MD
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I am back with some observations and questions. As I said earlier, I installed the Firestone Ride-Rites and Daystar cradles on my '14 DCSB 4X4. Although it does a great job of leveling when I have a heavy load or am towing a trailer, I find the "unloaded" ride to be quite hard and uncomfortable. I have tried various air pressures from 5 to 25 lbs empty. So, I am thinking of removing the Ride-Rite/Daystar set-up and replacing it with air-lift shocks if they are available. I'm hoping this will give me the original ride when not inflated, and some needed lift when towing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

7. Jul 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Installed my firestone ride rites w/daystar cradles a week ago. The ride is amazing! With the camper on full time, the truck rides like it is supposed to. Prior to install, the camper would sway in the back and "direct" the lean and bounce of the truck. Now going over anything the truck feels connected, if that makes sense. So stoked I installed these. I don't have the issue of being unloaded. Leaving Monday for a year living in the truck with my wife- check us out on Instagram: @yourlocalnomads

Estephe21 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jul 26, 2017 at 11:08 PM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Got my rake back. 50lbs on the driver side, 30lbs on the passenger- to account for the kitchen in the camper.

Easy_rider, Pigpen and Kolunatic like this.
  9. Jul 26, 2017 at 11:45 PM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    drop them back to 5 before you wheel.....any more and your truck will be like miley torquing

Trowbocop likes this.
  10. Jul 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Good to know. Just been city driving, tying up all our loose ends in LA. Will definitely play with pressures while offroad

inesshell[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 28, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Yeah. Sell your truck and get an escalade. You successfully converted your wimpy squishies to act like a truck. Sorry, man, you must also prefer a soft mattress, right?

12. Jul 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    B100BOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    New Windsor, MD
    Vehicle:
    I like a hard mattress and a firm ride. I just don't like a hard ride.

13. Aug 1, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    My outfit is a 014 - and it came with the crummy Toyota leaf springs that have steadily gone flatter and flatter. Full load of people would drop almost onto the bumpstops. Added the air springs recently and it was an instant success - carried 600 lbs in the box Saturday - no problemo!. What I know about this hauling and "seat of the pants" ride business when unladen - is that the tire pressure can make all of the difference in the world. Makes sense to tune that for what you are doing on the street - just like off road.

14. Aug 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    motoglen

motoglen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    16' tacoma Limited
    billies set at 1.75 front and 1 inch block in the rear. 285/65r18 nittos
    The only problem with mine is when I fill them up it give me some hard core driveline vibration. I have the carrier drop but that doesn't change a thing.

15. Sep 29, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    J-Mac

J-Mac Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    High Falls, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red SR5 Access Cab
    Bilstein 6112/5160, Deaver AAL, Fireston Riderite air bags, Fab4 rear bumper, Leer Cap, Tekonsha brake controler, removed noisemaker behind speedo
    I am new to forum but really appreciate the info on the bags/lift subject.
    I have had mu bags for a while but am just getting around to lifting. Bils6112/5160/Deaver AAL.
    trying to decide about the daystars.

16. Nov 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
  17. Nov 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I've had mine in for at least 5 years. No problems. This is the 4th truck I've had them on in 15 years. Never an issue.

I'm guessing you have a wheel balance issue that you only feel when the ride is firmer from the inflated bags.

LoMa[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Nov 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    LoMa

LoMa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport AT MGM

Good to know. Thanks!

19. Nov 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I beat the shit out of them too, and have in all of the trucks. This is the first truck I've used the cradle with, and I'm very happy I did.

20. Nov 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    Are you interested in selling a set of them?

To Top