1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Official" Firestone RideRite + Lift Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by littleblue81, May 28, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DoubleCab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    it will add .5-1" of base height, but I see no downside in daystar without the lift. I love having the drop cradles, no issues, have used the travel... and definitely worth the 80 i spent on them

2. Mar 14, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    kaizoku

kaizoku Active Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Acc Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    Got pointed to this thread after asking about my towing options with a Deaver J66 pack on my truck.

I already have about 1.5" of lift with the Deavers, would this riderite/daystar combo add additional lift when they only have 5 psi in them?

3. Mar 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    5psi no. but anything over 10-15 this thing goes up like an elevator

4. Apr 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Great info ! Glad I stumbled on to this before I installed my ride rites. I just ordered the daystar cradles. Seems like the airbags should work even better with the cradles. We will find out soon enough.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. Apr 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    just picked up some ride rites and daystar cradles....any tricks or tips that I should know before I install them???

6. Apr 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM
    Partzguy

Partzguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Check the kit and make sure yours has the correct thread size 90 degree brass fittings in it before you begin the install. Firestone built a number of kits with the wrong fittings in them.

7. Apr 10, 2014 at 4:29 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Dropping the spare tire gives you more room to work. Just starting to install my ride rites. Am waiting on the daystar cradles.

8. Apr 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    Just got my ride rites and daystar cradles. I bought them used and got a killer deal. It's missing the heat shield. I've read that some people where getting two heat shields with their ride rites. If anyone has an extra heat shield laying around that they want to sell me, hit me up because I need one!!!!!! Thanks, want to put these on asap but have to find a heat shield first!!!!

9. Apr 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
  10. Apr 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    bbdmac

bbdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leominster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have a 2013 Double Cab Long Bed Sport and I'll be towing a boat with about 500 lbs of tongue weight. No lift on the truck. I've purchased the Air Bags and am planning on installing them this weekend. I'm debating whether or not I need the cradles on a stock TRD Sport that doesn't spend much time off road. Anyone out there running without the cradles having a problem? I know it's only another $80 but I'm having a hard time deciding whether I truly need them or not.

Thanks in advance.

11. Apr 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    littleblue81

littleblue81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you won't be off roading you don't need them. If you will be off roading a little bit you might as well get them.

It doesn't take much to get you suspension flexing and it will take a lot of stress off the bags.

12. Apr 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    bbdmac

bbdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leominster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I more or less came to the same conclusion. I found them locally for $66.00 so I just bought them. Funny how a $14 difference in the price made me change my mind!!

13. May 31, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    Turbogeno

Turbogeno Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    NY Adirondacks
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4WD AT
    · Aftermarket fog lights · TracRac G2 with extra tie down points · Bilstein 5100’s on the front at 1.75” · Scangauge · Rubber bed mat · Relentless tailgate reinforcement · Window rain deflectors · Back seat dog bench. I got tired of him drooling on the dash, nose printing on the windows and getting in the way of the side mirror. He farts a lot too but the bench won’t help with that. · 265/75-R16 Goodyear DuraTrac’s on Pro Comp 7089 wheels. A couple of the wheels took a lot of weights but they’re smooth all the way to >85 mph and then a little vibration starts. · I removed the back seat headrests. · I disconnected the key chime. · I added a wiper switch with the intermittent option. · A subtle Steal Your Face stencil · Removed badges
    I just put a Wheelers progressive 3 leaf pack in back and added the Daystar cradles. With 0 air in the bags they ride about 3/4" off the cradle. With 5 lbs. they get snug. (empty bed) I don't have enough miles on it (8) to tell much but it is a better ride. With Bilsteins at 1.75 in the front I had to put 18 lbs. in the bags to level it and it rode harsh.

14. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    My ride rites have been on for a few months now. I love 'em. I have a fiberglass topper/ cap/shell and the truck used to sag with it on. Towing my little camper made it worse. No more. Problem solved!

I have discovered that 10 pounds in the passenger side and twenty in the driver side nearly removes Taco lean, too! I retain 1/2 inch rake at this setting also.

The daystar cradles have allowed me to keep my wheels on the ground in some hairball situations, too.

15. Jun 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

How she sits with a 22' Centurion Escalade C4 full of fuel... 5k+ lbs

I tow that every weekend...next thing I need is a Supercharger and gears

16. Oct 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    sbsyncro

sbsyncro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    SoCal
    Hey guys, I've been researching this for my 2005 double cab Tundra (which uses very similar bags). The Tundra kit calls for 6871 bags (6.60" max diameter x 8.30" max height) and the Taco uses the 6766 bags (7.52" diameter x 8.91" max height)

I'm running about a 3" lift in the rear using extra leaves in the leaf pack, and as a result it is tall but very "boaty" in its handling, especially when weighed down (I run a fiberglass shell that weighs about 250 lbs). I do a lot of Baja travel and carry hundreds of pounds of surf and spearfishing gear along with my camping gear, and sometimes tow a small boat, so these bags are something I'm definitely planning to add.

While researching, I ran across this article regarding use of the Daystar bags, which in theory would affect the Tacoma installs even worse than the Tundra ones, since the diameter of the bags is listed as being larger...

http://blog.truckspring.com/post/20...r-air-bag-cradles-with-ride-rite-air-bag-kits

Also, a posted on Tundrasolutions indicated that he spoke with someone at Daystar and they specifically told him that the cradles are only designed to be used with the smaller airbags.

That all being said, I'm still planning on using the Daystar cradles instead of the spacers that Firestone recommends, since they will limit downtravel/droop too much.... Just figured I'd post this since its relevant to this thread.

-Brent

17. Nov 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM
    FABRICK8

FABRICK8 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    14 Pyrite DCLB Sport

The Tundra airbags are smaller than the Tacoma ones? Interesting. Tacomas must have more room between the frame and the leaf.

I don't understand how the Daystar cradles can cause anymore stresses (like the article says) than a spacer would. But maybe with stock ride height it could, just because of the thickness of the cradle. As would a spacer if you added it to a stock height set up. So I'm thinking if you have a lift and your suspension is at least the thickness of the cradle taller than stock you should be fine?

Anyone else wanna chime in on this?

Also I wonder if you can use the smaller bags on the tacoma, if only they are compatible with the cradles, like someone at Daystar said.

18. May 4, 2015 at 9:03 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I don't see this 2" spacer as an option on any of the sites that sell the riderites. Is anyone with 2-3" lift using a spacer or is it not needed? I have about 7" a space between the top of my leaf springs and the frame (using 2" AAL from wheelers).

2. Lift + Spacer + Bag:

They sell different spacer lengths for different lift heights, I believe the lowest is a 2" spacer. If you add the matching spacer to your lift this will put the bag at where it would be if the car was stock. Assuming again no increase in travel, not sure what the benefit here would be.

19. May 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    OK, called one of the vendors (SDTruckSprings.com - they had the cheapest price I could find and free shipping) and they do sell a 2" spacer to work with lifted trucks. They charge an additional $64 for it. Should have the riderite and spacer in a couple days. Riderite kit itself was $319. Most other sites are charging $354 + shipping these days.

20. May 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    littleblue81

littleblue81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you read through the first page of this thread? I was using spacers initially and they were horrible. Not sure about what you got or if your lift differs, but they didn't work well for me at all.

To Top