1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official release: Tacoma 2nd gen reverse lights:)

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by LEDsolutions, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    bobby15

bobby15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB 4x4 magnetic grey tacoma
    Damn the reason why I wanted them was to see better because my taillights are blacked out .. So much for these .. Thanks for the heads up

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So now we need HID rev lights in the oem halogen housing so light goes everywhere? I sense the retrofit police saddling up, lol..............

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    lol......

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I may try to put tab on top of bulb into the housing and leave the bottom tab out and see if they can end up angled down a bit and then seal it with some silicone. This seems like it'd be less of issue on x-runners or 5 luggers closer to the ground vs. 4wd/prerunner higher trucks.

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    not to shit on the group buy, but I had a set of these and felt they were completely useless. They would be perfect for a car with a circular reverse light, but for the shape of our reverse lights these perform worse than the stock bulbs. Do the 886 fog light bulb mod and you won't regret it.

And again, I'm not trying to ruin the gb, I just feel that people should be aware of what to expect before shelling out $35 for a disappointment.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    octacorunner

octacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB
    t|x pro rims, trd exhaust painted flat black, retrofit hids on oem smoked headlights, weathertech digifits, interior & exterior LEDs, console vault, 20% tint (need to install: eyelids, lower grillcraft, satoshi by homer)
    Dam I bought these to replace the LED bulbs I already have in hopes that these woulnt have this issue...ughh I'll just have to wait an see for myself...the LEDs I have are from csujumper or something on this forum, and they suck in terms of usable light...

Do all reverse LEDs suck?

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    They throw more light. It is whiter (5-6000k) and focused. My truck is on a 3" OME lift and has a raked stance. The bed sits a bit higher than the nose. Between the rake and lift, the light starts 15-20' behind the truck. As mentioned above, I'm sure a car that is sitting level and close to the ground would benefit from this more.

HIDs in the taillights has been done. It is, of course, retarded, but possible.

The halogen bulb MOD is another option.

8. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    wasnt there a sylvania bulb that you would buy for about 12 bucks and all it needed was a little chopping to make it work?? and its hella bright?

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
  10. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  11. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    Pic works fine for me.

12. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    i r on work comp :eek:

13. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Ah, yea they're hosted on photobucket. A lot of companies block that site (mine included).

Try this:

2010-09-06_17-37-53_171.jpg

14. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    SilverBullet07

SilverBullet07 Silver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Pleasanton, CA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 PreRunner Sport
    Tint, Grillcraft Grill, Leveling Kit, Retrofit Headlights.
    Does everyone really think these are equal to the stock back up lights? IMO I like these better because I can actually see out my back tinted window now at night when before I couldn't plus have more light when using my mirrors when parking at night.

I don't have a backup camera though and would see how the blind spot would make the camera view dark if not worse than before because the stock lights only brighten the two feet behind the bumper where the camera is looking.

For reference this picture I posted before shows that gap that people are disappointed in.

[​IMG]

Alternative Option

I don't know if anyone is interested in spending a little more money but my next venture to improve visibility when backing up is to purchase some LED strips from Drunknsloth through his group buy. I'm going to place 5 of his 10" Rigid LED Bars under the tailgate so there hidden, and wire them to my reverse lights or put a switch on my dash to enable it. Gonna cost somewhere around 100 dollars..

Under the tailgate like this picture!
    [​IMG]

Link to his group Buy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/188606-led-strips-rock-lights-bed-lights-etc.html

Hopefully you don't mind LEDsolutions for me posting this up here, just trying to give people a better solution if they aren't pleased with the CREE lights.

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I had some silverstar rev bulbs in the 05. Didn't feel they were much of an improvement.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    LEDsolutions

LEDsolutions [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh damn! I was gone for one day and the thread got bashed! lol anyways, I think that there is a case to case basis for satisfaction on the bulbs. Some people report extremely happy and some not so much. The biggest area of concern is the fact that there is a gap of two feet between the bumper and lights, which to what I hear is not an issue unless you use the backup camera. If looking out the rear window, you will not see that gap anyways because of the height of the tailgate. Rather these bulbs project light out and wide. I am trying to get one that projects, further, closer as well as wider

Thanks for the input

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    That's what I want. something that puts out the light in close to the same pattern as the stock ones. From the day pics I saw, someone waiting for me to pull out of a parking spot in a parking lot will not be able to see my reverse lights if I have these LED's in.

19. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    Sorry man! I wasn't bashing. I do think these bad boys are bright. However, with the geometry of my truck, I'm not happy with the application. I feel it is safer to keep my stockers than run the crees. People that have lower trucks that sit level probably will do better than I did.

20. Nov 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    They will DEFINITELY see the lights. Don't worry about that. They are bright as all getout from pretty much every angle outside the truck. The only problem is that gap, which for me is nominal. I can see how someone with a raked truck would have problems tho. Mine sits pretty level (3" OME lift).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top