1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

offset and backspacing bugging me.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by alexlies, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    alexlies

alexlies [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Battleground
    Vehicle:
    2002 4 door 4x4
    ok im havin a hard time understandin what i need. so heres what im getting im getting a 15x8 rim with 33.12.50 tire on my 2002 tacoma what backspacing do i need to make this work with ease. would the 15x8 be a little narrow? for the 12.50? maybe `15X10?

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Check with the tire manufacturer to see what the recomended rim width is for the tire your wanting. As far as backspace I believe 4-4.5" should work but I'm not certain?

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    An 8" rim is not the "ideal" size for a 12.5 tire and some manufactures won't recommend that size tire on a 8" wheel, to the point it won't be listed on their sizing spec charts. Some manufactures do say you can run a 12.5 on an 8" wheel, so it's borderline to say the least. If anything else you won't have a nice flat contact patch with a wide tire on a narrow rim and the center of the tires will wear down faster than the edge, unless maybe you run really low PSI, which will wear everything down fast.

I would use a 9" wide wheel for a 12.5 wide tire. You could also use a 10" wheel but a 9" would be more ideal.

As far as backspacing I don't know since I have a gen2. With a 9" wide wheel and a 12.5x33 tire, I would guess that a 4.5" BS should work, at least on a gen2.

On a gen 2 if i was to try to stuff a 12.5 on my 16x8" 4.0" BS wheels, I supposdley have the right backspacing to do so, since the sidewall would buldge out more than if it were on a 9" wheel.

Yer probablly more confused than before? LOL

4. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    alexlies

alexlies [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Battleground
    Vehicle:
    2002 4 door 4x4
    no i get it thanks for your help i think im gonna go with a 17x8 with 285/70
    4.5 backspace

5. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    Alex, 4.5" backspace may have clearance issues on a first gen, especially if you ever air down to offroad...

your stock backspace is 4.5" and throwing on a 285, the sidewall of tire may rub up against the stock upper control arm, and may rub on the frame at full turn...

when turning into a driveway, you may also hear the tread rub up on the pinch weld...

if upsizing your wheel and tire, i would consider going into a 4" or 4.25" backspace...

Products Discussed in

To Top