1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oh deer!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bagster, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    bagster

bagster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 Prerunner, and live in serious deer country. What kind of lighting upgrade would be best for projecting more light to the sides of the road? The stock lights seem adequate as far as distance, but most deer "attacks" seem to come at you from the side.

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    While deer can be unpredictable, i've found that a little common sense can go a long way. Slow the hell down during the times deer run and pat attention. Don't be multi-tasking. I think its more than 'bad luck' when the same people seem to have repeated 'accidents'.

I live in an area with a heavy population of deer, drive alot at night and early morning and think i hit one in my life, and that was barely due to having been paying attention and having been alert enough to have slowed down to the point of almost missing him.

3. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Miata Tech

Miata Tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    2002 4X4 SR-5 TRD
    ChaseCam Video System, Optima YellowTop, ScanGauge II, Heated Drivers Seat, Sirius Satellite Radio, K&N Drop In, E-Locker Guard, Extang Black Max Tonneau , Streamlight Stinger, All Synthetic Fluids, USA-Spec iPhone Interface, Gentex Auto Dimming Compass/Temp Mirror
    And sometimes nothing helps....

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    sucks. at least it was a buck n not a swamp donkey

5. Dec 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    IMO more lights is not the answer.

I hit a deer a few years ago with my Jeep Grand Cherokee and no amount of extra lighting would have made a difference. That Doe was at a full run and I hit her broadside acroos my front bumper before I could get my foot on the brake.......

6. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Armor.

7. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    X2!!! Get off the brake before impact if possible. It will let the truck rise up from the front end drop during a panic brake. Hit the deer with the bumper, not the grill and head lamps. Armor will make all the difference. None of the wings around the headlamps either, they seem to do more fender damage than good.

8. Dec 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sonora, CA
    Kinda off topic but some insurance companies have additional coverage for areas with lots of deer..might benefit you

Or you could buy a nice saturn. I had one of those little cars and smoked a deer at about 40 mph and it bounced right off and didn't leave a single mark

9. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kragen HIDs, 2 to 4 of them on the front bumper. The HIDs reflect deer eyes from WAY away. The eyes start glowing way before they even get in range of the lights. I drive at night in deer country a lot, and having several seconds of notice that there are critters in the ditch allows more time to slow down. Not 100% obviously, but it helps a TON.

10. Dec 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    i have 2 converted hella 500ff's on a light bar pointed to the sides of the road. i agree they wont stop you from hitting a deer, but i think the extra 100 bucks is worth the good edge that it gives you against spotting them. i was really impressed on how effective it actually is at spotting them. there is a lot of deer you dont usually see.

11. Dec 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Beeson

Beeson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    I have two small lights (just big enough to accomodate an H3 bulb really)mounted under the frame and pointing at the tires/sides of the truck which light up the sides very well; very handy for wheeling. I'm replacing the 55w bulbs with 100w right now to "shed a little more light on the subject". I could get some pics so you can see how I did it if you want.

Products Discussed in

To Top