1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jan 31, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    SaulGoodman

SaulGoodman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SILVER DCSB OR 4x4
    I have a 2019 that I started noticing some bumping while decelerating today. Popped in neutral and it didn't change anything so I going to have the dealer check out the drums, hoping they may just be out of round and it's nothing axle/angle related. I'll post back end of next week when I get it checked.

2. Feb 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    El_Taco_Blanco

El_Taco_Blanco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    I am on my 2nd - 3rd Gen Tacoma. I bought a 2017 SR5 4X4 in July of 2017. Over the following 9 months I went through 5 sets of rear drum brakes and two rear axle replacements. I was also noticing the vibration and shuddering while braking from the rear. I initiated a buy-back request with Toyota Corporate and ended up receiving a full refund (including registration fees) from Toyota.

Convinced that I had bought a rare fluke of a lemon, I bought a 2018 TRD-OR in April of 2018. I now have 20K and have been through 4 sets of rear drums... Toyota regional engineer says the rear axle measures within spec each time, but the drums are obviously out of round and need replacing. They do not know what's causing the brakes to go out of round, since there is no run out on the axle. The last time I took the truck in, the service rep advised that I use my gears more when towing to be easier on my brakes. I don't tow with my Tacoma.

Skull likes this.
  3. Feb 1, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    Skull

Skull Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 White TRDPro
    Damn...that is crazy! Problem where I live is no dealers will do anything ,not even replace drums/rotors. They are apparently “unable to duplicate” customer complaint even though a bottled water will almost pop out of drink holder when braking.

4. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    SaulGoodman

SaulGoodman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SILVER DCSB OR 4x4
    Calmly but assertively ask that the service manager take a two minute ride with you and demo the problem for them. New Trucks shouldn’t shake braking , that’s bs.

Products Discussed in

To Top