1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    Brooky816

Brooky816 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner double cab
    None
    I feel your pain! Very disappointed in the 3rd gens. Good luck!

2. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    RG Air

RG Air Member

Member:
    Here's an update...this is for shared experience.

Found a friend of a family member who has pull on the service side and addressed the main issue. I won’t give details on who or where.

The results are ... this truck is a piece of 5hit. Keep in mind my prior vehicles.

Biggest mistake was trading this truck for a 2007 TRD Sport DC I bought with 14 miles and left it with 220k+-. Also had a 99 TRD off road extended cab for a few years and in between that a regular chevy S10.

Current truck, 2018 TRD Sport DB 4x4, has been to 3 Toyota service centers and mentioned these items at most locations. Reference service centers as #1, #2 and #3

Rattle in passenger tweeter/dash

-------(fixed at #2 - but rattle came back after around 4/5 weeks - could not replicate at #1 and not an issue at #3)

Unidentified rattle in/on driver rear side cab

-------(plastic on plastic over bumps and textured roads - could not locate at any service center but tech that rode with me at #3 confirmed hearing it – no fix)

Howling from the rear at higher speeds on deceleration (foot off gas)

-------(not mentioned at service center #1 - #2 acknowledged and found a like vehicle to drive - #3 did something (replaced line?) and still exist)

Vibration while braking from 30-10mph

-------(service center #1 - results posted above – they found a like TSB (TSB-0071-17) and applied it but it passed the inspection. Determined its normal- #2 acknowledged the issue and said they aren’t worried about it. Its known and normal issue. The tech said he did fix one but it was way worse than mine. Finally #3 friend of family. Applies same TSB as #1 and it fails the spec test. (((Kept truck for a week and they gave me a rental –new Ram Rebel with AT tires and dammit if that truck didn’t ride like a quiet gem with no rattles))) TSB is applied. New leaf springs and steering dampener. Truck still has the same vibration on deceleration.

I guess it’s a normal characteristic. Unacceptable, normal, unfortunate, characteristic.

Between #2 and #3 I started a buy back with corporate. Gave the case to lawyer in the family which is also who hooked me up with the Toyota service center contact. In the timeframe the TSB was being applied at #3, corporate was sending certified letter to the house asking for all documentation. I decided to let it go until I had results from #3. I’ll send one last message including above synopsis but will likely make this someone else’s problem

Do you buy a Ram, Chevy or GMC. People say it wont run as long as the Toyota or hold value but how does everyone know that since they changed to the 3rd gen. I really don’t want to buy a GMC. Someone talk me out of it. I did see a 2nd gen with 5k miles for close to $30k??

Products Discussed in

To Top