1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Mar 4, 2020 at 8:07 AM
    2020cement

2020cement New Member

Member:
    I was pretty sure I was going to buy a Tacoma this month but the more I research it appears that the quality is no longer there with the 3rd gens. This thread and others like it are definitely an eye opener for me.

2. Mar 4, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    My 2020 doesn't have this issue. Did you not test drive the truck before buying it? If not then its on you. This doesn't seem like an issue that would all of a sudden present itself.

In&out likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    KentCNC

KentCNC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Off Road
    Look back in this thread to a Feb 5 post by 23psi4age. He posted photos.

4. Mar 5, 2020 at 12:54 AM
    dhectorg

dhectorg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I test trove it. There are lots of reasons a person might not notice issues during a test drive. The issue might be intermittent or dependent upon a certain speed or type of driving or terrain. If you don't have any issues, consider yourself lucky!

5. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:34 AM
    RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Sorry if I sounded harsh. I just know a lot of individuals who actually didn't test drive a vehicle they bought. Especially jeepers who a lot order it from the factory. I wonder if its something with the driveshafts. Really a drivetrain is pretty simple operation. I wonder why Toyota can't figure it out.

6. Mar 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Brooky816

Brooky816 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner double cab
    None
    Same here so annoying I couldn’t live with it. Trucks gone traded it in.

7. Mar 5, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    dhectorg

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    There are A LOT of naysayers in many of these 'issue' threads that troll those of us who are having problems, I guess because they can't fathom that the almighty Toyota could make a subpar product...or maybe they're just brainless fanboy sycophants for the brand. Either way, I'm tired of people questioning me about it, as if I'm making it up or something. It's infuriating. I left the auto transmission issue thread because of the trolls. I'm not saying you're one of them, but I just don't have the patience to deal with those a-holes when I'm also trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm stuck with a vibrating truck that also has a transmission that shifts erratically, which is a problem that was supposedly address for the 2020 MY. I'm angry and disappointed.

It's not that Toyota can't figure it out, it's more that they don't need to figure it out because the trucks are selling like crazy anyway. They just don't give a damn, especially with these forums being full of fanboys who carry their water.

8. Mar 6, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    Rick44

Rick44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5
    This is my third Toyota and the third truck I have owned. Although this is the first Toyota truck. I test drove the truck before buying and I wanted a Toyota because of the great experience I had with my previous two Toyota's. The transmission is a big disappointment. Before buying I read about the complaints of the transmission. During the test drive I did not notice any issues with the transmission. It's a smaller truck so your going to feel and hear road noise. But after 2000 miles the transmission leaves a lot to be desired. The way it shift's and the vibrations should not be considered normal. When I brought it in to the dealer their comments were that is was normal. I test drove a new 2019 that was on the lot and had the shop foreman in the truck with me. It had the same vibration and even more harsh shifting. He noticed and commented on the shifting issues as well. I suppose Toyota simply accepts the vibration and harsh shifting as acceptable. As long as it is not doing any long term damage to the transmission it is simply something to get used to. I have no plans on trading it in. But after owning many vehicles over the years and having higher expectations from Toyota I would not recommend a 3rd generations Tacoma.

9. Mar 7, 2020 at 10:53 PM
    dhectorg

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    Agreed.

10. Mar 22, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    Haji DontSurf

Haji DontSurf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gents, upgraded to the Nitto RG 265/75R16. Weighs 49 pounds. Greatly reduced or dampened the driveline noise. Leveling the front this week, will update.

nittos.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top