1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:49 PM
    dhectorg

dhectorg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    My suggestion is to just accept it as part of owning a Tacoma. Based on my research, there are multiple reasons for the vibrations that plague Tacomas and actually eliminating the issue is all but impossible. I know it's not the ideal answer, but it is what it is. A LOT of Tacomas vibrate and Toyota has taken the position that it's "normal" behavior, so taking it to a dealer will certainly be a waste of time.

I will echo the previous comment that these vibrations don't seem to lead to any reliability issues, judging from the several people I know with higher mileage Tacomas, so at least there's that.

abhamber and Mitch65 like this.
  2. Jul 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM
    abhamber

abhamber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aman
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 BBP Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    I really hope this post helps somebody. After chasing down vibrations over the past several months with no real solution, I can say with confidence that I've finally eliminated 95% of the vibration.

I had my axle shafts replaced at 20000 miles and 8000 miles later my vibrations returned. My dealer (which has always been helpful) deemed the vibrations "normal" - no surprise there!

Unfortunately, I had to take it upon myself to address the issue because Toyota Canada was basically dragging their feet. I had the following done:

- Tires were road force balanced (seemed to help)
    - Both brake drums replaced (seemed to help the most, but I could still feel slight vibrations around 40mph)
    - Replaced both rear shocks with Billstein 5100's (I just replaced these today, and after a 30 mile test drive, my vibrations were noticeably gone, they are now at the point where I'm not sure if just the bad road and or the characteristics of having a truck with no load in the bed)

I was surprised to see how worn my stock Hitachi shocks were in under 30000 miles. I'm convinced that most of my vibrations weren't "vibrations" but more so rapid oscillations caused by the leaf springs and poor dampening by the shocks.

Since the install, the truck feels more "solid" and I haven't felt the vibrations on deceleration that I did previously. I'm not an expert, but my thinking is that stiffer shocks help reduce / mask axle wrap.

I hope this helps anyone who is starting to feel defeated and is frustrated with their truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top