1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Sep 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    2k2

2k2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rd gen
    2020 SR 4x4. No vibration of any kind for first 18k. Drove like a sedan. Out of nowhere I started to feel like a rear wheel was out of balance after a 200 mile trip at 75-80 mph. Took it in for my final toyota care service had them balance all 4 wheels. Vibes still there. Torqued loose u bolts to 52 ft lb. Vibes still there. WTF. Went from driving like a luxury sedan to driving like my 02 in a matter of a day. Anyone get anywhere with solving this. I can live with it, but I dont want to.

BTW: aside from SCS f5 wheels and SL wildpeak tires I'm bone stock on the SR. I've had wheels and tires since 1200 miles so I really dont think it's that but who knows. Evert AT tire I've ever had has eventually driven like garbage after 20k. So maybe it's the tires.

One thing I do notice is that where the passenger side shock boot comes in contact with the shock body the paint is worn off... my drivers side shock foes not look worn at all?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Oct 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    ItsGarand

ItsGarand TEUFELSBERG

Member:
    South of Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Added NERF Bars.
    I have the same issue with my 2021 SR5 Access Cab. I took it in to the dealer, they said yes to the repair. They put new leaf springs on but I'm not sure they did anything else. They are supposed to check the angle of the drive shaft and adjust according (which I hear is time consuming - so they probably didn't do it.)

I went with a lead tech for a ride in it, it still vibrates when decelerating - his answer was it's engine braking....

So, I have about 6k on it now and it still vibrates - annoying so - when slowing down particularly at around 1.2krpms at 20+ mphs. It's like driving over closely spaced shallow rumble strips.

3. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    VB25

VB25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR ACLB AT
    Exactly how mine feels, But since it's a TRD OR AC its not covered under the TSB. The dealer said its caused by corrosion in the drum brakes and wanted to charge me over 600 to fix. They completely ignored the fact that I said it happens without applying brakes, and that coasting to a stop in neutral is perfectly smooth. Too bad most Toyota dealers seem to suck... I'm not hard to get along with. I popped off the drums a few months after and there was no corrosion or irregular wear to be seen.

Products Discussed in

To Top