1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oh no....TSB-0171-16 Driveline vibration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Murrayb4, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Feb 5, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    TJH1224

TJH1224 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    Feel like this issue is present in my 2021 4x4 DCLB SR5 too.

Hard to pinpoint where and when the vibration is coming from. I've been on otherwise smooth roads and I'll just have the cabin feel shaky and see bags on the floor wiggling around, cup holder items twitching, etc.

It's not horrible, but definitely not how a new vehicle that cost me 37k should be driving. It drives like a Sherman tank.

New Cooper Discoverer tires and balancing did nothing, and before that the Toyota dealer drove it and said it was "in spec" and didn't do anything else.

Trying to decide if I want to print out the TSB and tell them to do it and check the drums, and then if it doesn't fix it I'll just drop it and maybe try a separate alignment and road force balance at Mavis where I got the tires.

If nothing else works I'm just gonna say screw it and assume this is how these SR5s with stiff shocks and not much weight drive and so be it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. Feb 6, 2022 at 7:42 AM
    WoodMan NH

WoodMan NH Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Woody
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4x4 Dark Gray
    Chrome Tubes, Chrome Exhst Tip (yeah, I like the chrome look), Mudguards, HomeLink AutoDim Mirror
    TJH1224 (& anyone else) - Might I suggest downloading the NVH Vibration Diagnosis app on your iPhone phone or cellular iPad ($99 on App Store) . . . there are a few youtube videos on how well the app works. It shows where different vibrations were coming from and at what speeds and the amplitude of the vibration. For me, it overwhelmingly shows my issue is Driveshaft Related rather than Tire or Engine related.
    Your dealer may look at the results and still call it "within spec", but it may help to show you are serious at trying to get this resolved.

Look at some of the youtube videos, and decide for yourself . . .

sfr4dr and TJH1224 like this.
  3. Mar 2, 2022 at 1:22 PM
    sfr4dr

sfr4dr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee/Tahoe CA
    Vehicle:
    Currently trying to pick my next Toyota!
    Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I wouldn't think a phone or ipad's sensors are that good.

4. Mar 2, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    sfr4dr

sfr4dr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee/Tahoe CA
    Vehicle:
    It's a tough one. Our dealer said the same but did find that the brand new rear brakes were jacked. After fixing the brakes, the issue got much better, almost not even noticeable. We then installed Wildpeaks and 17" TRD wheels and the vibration seemed to lessen even more but now the tires are out of balance or out of round. It's been back once for re-balancing today and need to drive some more and take it back again if needed. Also the hood vibrates and the overhead console makes noise. Getting very tired of vibrations! Some people would probably ignore all of this but I just can't. I also kept the stock wheels and tires so I can put them on anytime it's needed if the dealer claims it's my bigger wheels and tires. This was actually a suggestion by them and a good one. Still wish they'd just stand behind their issues instead though. We have a 2017 RX350 that is dead silent. Makes me want to get a second one.

TJH1224[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2022 at 2:00 PM
    AZPhys13

AZPhys13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCLB - MGM
    I have a 2021 OR and get vibrations only under very specific conditions. Slowing down with medium brake pressure right around 40-45 mph. No vibrations above or below that speed. No vibrations with really heavy or really light brake pressure. It is so consistent that whenever I feel it I can look at the speedometer and see the need right in that range each time.

dansflhti likes this.
  6. Mar 9, 2022 at 6:05 AM
    Dual Port

Dual Port Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B. D.
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma Silver V6
    ItsGarand, sfr4dr and 4x4spiegel like this.
  7. Mar 10, 2022 at 9:10 PM
    sfr4dr

sfr4dr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee/Tahoe CA
    Vehicle:
    Great info you put together there. How's your video coming along? We had a guy over in the TRD lift thread who was very detailed as you were with the measurements. He ended up just needing a 1 degree shim added but that's with the lift so not comparable to stock height. I may shoot you a PM about our Tacoma but need to get my thoughts together first.

Everyone taking measurements though was using the TSB numbers and not the Spicer numbers you shared, which may lead to much better success.

8. Mar 23, 2022 at 6:33 AM
    TacoTurnbull

TacoTurnbull New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone,
    New here. i just picked up a 2016 TRD sport. Had a big wobble at higher speeds so i got new tires and it got rid of the high speed wobble.
    but now im noticing that when im slowing down on the highway between 60kmph to 30kmph i get some sort of vibration that feels like its coming from my brakes
    (not very mechanically inclined) haha HELP!

9. Sep 9, 2023 at 8:49 AM
    No-Hyperbole

No-Hyperbole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road_LB
    To be sure these are't missed I'm referencing a few related links to be sure this information is not overlooked by people here having some of these issues. I'd really like to hear from those who have flushed out their braking vibration. According to Toyota, they cleared all of my angles to be in spec with the bulletin.

I'm going to double check this, however I don't know the correct spec for the transferase to propeller shaft angle, or if these are different for the long bed model which I have? I'd appreciate any data on these points.

People having the same or similar vibration issues on 3rd gen. Tacomas and what they're saying about it.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/poll-30-10-mph-vibration-automatic-trucks-stock-height.748639/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/driveline-vibe-diagnosis-help.746442/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/21-tacoma-still-vibrates-after-tsb.740185/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/so-disappointed-with-tacoma-purchase.810654/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/vibration-remains-after-ecgs-bearing-swap-solved.807453/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dealer-cant-diagnose-this-vibration.806601/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/drive-shaft-vibrations-solved-step-by-step.244535/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  10. Sep 9, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    staplegun

staplegun Well-Known Member

Member:
    might be warped disks up front? I've had that problem on my 2016 taco and that was the cure...

11. Sep 9, 2023 at 5:40 PM
    2k2

2k2 Flareless

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3 SR 4x4 4cyl AC
    See Build Thread
    I had some vibrations when my truck was about a year or 2 old so I watched this thread. Although mine wasn't while braking, I wound up torqueing my U-bolts to 52ft/lb and my bed bolts to the proper spec (55ft/lb I believe), every single one was under torqued. This led me into a frenzy of checking everything underneath (carrier bearing, driveshaft, etc.) Everything else was fine.

It made a big difference at highway speed... I would look at my bed shaking in my side view mirror when I was up over 70 mph. It felt like my tires were out of balance.

Just another example of why it's nice to own an enthusiast vehicle. Seems like there's always an answer here.

Canadian Caber likes this.
  12. Sep 9, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    staplegun

staplegun Well-Known Member

Member:
    yep - the Tacoma World is a huge asset

13. Sep 11, 2023 at 11:39 AM
    No-Hyperbole

No-Hyperbole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road_LB
    This whole thing got me wondering about the TRD Pro models. They are excluded from the TSB, and I don’t recall hearing anyone complaining about them.

So what’s different about them relative to the models having vibration issues, especially since they are lifted?

if that can be pinned down maybe it can solve some of the problems.
    Mike

14. Dec 9, 2023 at 7:28 AM
    ItsGarand

ItsGarand TEUFELSBERG

Member:
    South of Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Added NERF Bars.
    If I could find somebody to do this to mine, I'd do it in a second. I had the TSB done and it still vibrates as described above. I also contacted Toyota, they won't do anything.

15. Dec 18, 2023 at 6:01 AM
    Winchester3232

Winchester3232 Member

Member:
    Been through a bunch of these posts and now It has be second guessing my 2023 order.....DCLB SR5. I understand it is a truck and it isn't gonna ride like a limo but some of these posts are pretty startling if I'm about to drop 40k on a truck. Does this vibration issue seem to happen more to long beds? Looks like overall length of wheelbase has a factor?

Am I overthinking this....Drives fine when I have had extended test drives but lots of these issues it didn't pop up till couple thousand KMs in.

16. Dec 18, 2023 at 10:07 AM
    Canadian Caber

Canadian Caber R.I.P Layne Staley 67-2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 Super White
    After 3 years no issues with my DCLB TRD Sport 4x4. Only mod is one tire size up from stock. However, this truck is not for everyone. YMMV.

https://youtu.be/b6tRAQ_r0Ms?si=lxql_UzZrLts4utv

Products Discussed in

To Top