1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OH S#!% moment

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by theredofshaw, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Aug 4, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Random thought popped into my head today:

What was your craziest "oh shit" moment while at the range or using your firearms? As in, did a round misfire and explode in the chamber? Did something ricochet back and make ya crap your pants? Near misses?

Pretty much anything crazy like that goes.

For me, haven't really had anything crazy. Had a piece of hot brass eject while firing from the aircraft elevator on the ship fly back in the wind and land on my safety glasses. Leaned forward to make it fall and it decided to drop itself BEHIND my safety glasses.

2. Aug 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Worst thing is "date night" at the range. Idiots bringing idiot girls to the range to show off (none of them can shoot worth a damn either). And they laser everyone in the room because they're trying to take selfies. Happens all the time. I've had to get in people's faces a couple time because of it. Range staff always backs me up and makes the party leave so I might be an asshole, but I'm not wrong.
    I'm too old to deal with idiots now so I just leave the area if I see that shit and inform staff to keep an eye on them.

3. Aug 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    6 or so years ago some people with no training or education were getting set up at a stall on the range, well in a blink of an eye one of them accidentally fires while messing with the rifle and the bullet went right in his friends torso. I looked for about ten seconds and immediately packed up and left. Probably the worst oh shit moment.

4. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    1996 4x4
    This isn't that crazy, but...

Rabbit hunting with a buddy when we were 13 or 14. I had a single action .22 revolver, he had a marlin model 60. We spotted one 20 or so yards away. His turn to shoot, so he shot. Brass ejected into my face.

I had the pistol cocked, finger on the trigger. It startled me and I shot into the ground right next to my foot. Could have shot my friend easily.

I had taken hunter safety, knew everything. This incident really made me realize firearm safety is a big deal. I still think about it 22 years later every time I go out.

5. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    download (1).jpg

Running Board Man and BrokenMech like this.
  6. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Cohutta

Cohutta Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 AC 2.7
    Dog hair
    Nah fuck that, I agree with the original poster. I've seen way too much stupid shit happen with people who don't have a clue about trigger control or gun safety in general. Morons who don't have a clue about that shit need to be shamed or called out at every opportunity, it's way too easy for someone to get seriously injured or killed, while trying to look like a badass

7. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Next time you go to the range, count the bullet holes in the shooting tables and right above the shooting stalls. It's the same idiots causing both. Last thing I want to hear is someone getting shot because of someone else's inability or unwillingness to be safe. As a Marine, you should know this. I'm sure you've seen or at least heard stories about "accidents" that could have been prevented.

8. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    Not only that but I used to work part time as an rso. And as a Fire Fighter I've responded twice in my career to shooting range for a shooting accident.

Was just saying you were pounding your chest like a gorilla.

honda50r likes this.
  9. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    There's this shitty indoor range in Norfolk, and occasionally the bullet would just ricochet straight on back at the shooter. Fuck that.

10. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST

:thumbsup:

11. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I like it

upload_2016-6-13_21-25-32.jpg

12. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    phillstill

phillstill Long hair don't care

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    Sweet Blue Coyote
    Untouched
    Right after I had turned 18 I was super excited to go to the range by myself. I got to the range, set up my 270, and got ready to aim at the target. I put my eye up to the scope with my eyebrow touching it, aimed and pulled the trigger. Holy F#€%!!! Felt like a concussion and then the blood started to pour down my face. First thing I thought to myself was "what the heck was I thinking". I knew better. I had been shooting rifles since I was a little kid. I packed my gun up and pretended like nothing happened as I left.

Dalandser, Michal006 and GT7 like this.
  13. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I have a few.

Standing range supervisor in an indoor range a girl got hot brass down her shirt and jumped, shooting the wooden table in front of her and missing her foot by a few inches. Threw the gun about 4 feet down the range and decided she didnt want to shoot anymore. Good because I thought the same thing.

Weapons officer in the Navy, some marines wanted to use the flight deck for machine gun practice, in the prone. They set up some targets, one of them propped right in front of our stern light enclose. About 10 or so rounds ripped across the flight deck, destroying the surface and the stern light was obliterated. Only after ricocheting about 30 rounds off the enclosure did they realize they were shooting something they weren't supposed to. About $30k in damage and one of the biggest ass chewings I relieved as the weapons officer for not overseeing the weapons shoot. Had to baby sit all marines gun shoots from then on which was kind of like putting a student driver coach in the passenger seat of a NASCAR...

Personally, first time shooting a full auto uzi was a bit more than I expected. If you ever shot one, the first 2-4 rounds come out ok, but then the hand of god reaches down, grabs your barrel, and if you don't let off the trigger fast enough, rips it up and smashes it into your forehead. I probably put about 5 rounds over the berm. While we had about 800 acres to work, the range owner was not happy at all.

Michal006 and phillstill like this.
  14. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    Justified

Justified Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I had a Beretta Neos once and I was purposely pointing it downrange and hit the slide release on a full mag and it fired out of battery. Scared the crap out if me. IMAG1769.jpg

15. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    True about the uzi, I have not fired one but a friend and shot less then 10 rounds and said he about got smacked in the face.

StAndrew[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Aug 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM
    doghair

doghair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 Single Cab 4x4
    Someone else s moment but a ways back a kid and his dad were on the bench to my left shooting a mini-14. If you don't know, they eject with authority. I looked over just as the kid shot and caught a shell in the forehead. Well getting a good cut in the forehead bleeds pretty well so there I am with blood pouring down my face and the kid looks over with this look of horror "I killed you!"

17. Aug 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    when I was really young I was out mongoose hunting with .22 shotshells.
    found one that ran perpendicular to where I was standing, so I tracked it and fired

didnt notice that the mongoose had run right in front of a really old tire that happened to be laying there, and I got peppered with some .22 shot ricochet

good way for young me to realize the importance of eyepro

Dalandser and 16Tacos like this.
  18. Aug 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    Speaking of idiots... Shooting pistol range at Angeles and there's so guy with his chick who's next to me. She empties the mag then proceeds to turn the end of the pistol in my direction as she continues to point the barrel at herself so she can look down the end of the barrel to see if it's empty!!! True story. That's a wtf moment in my book!

Dalandser and Michal006 like this.
  19. Aug 7, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    BDL5589

BDL5589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM 4WD RC
    Went to a party and two drunk guys dared each other to put on armored vests (the kind with hard plates, not really sure what it's really called) and take a hit from a 45 pistol. They both did it. In the house.

And I left.

20. Aug 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    :eek:

:facepalm:

Dalandser likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top