1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CayucosTacoma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    I know the benefits of a catch-can, but does the oil mist traveling through the intake track in any way lubricate the upper cylinders? People spend good money on upper cylinder lubricants.

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Im running a fram fuel filter as a inline oil catch can. easy to install ,and cheap. I change them out every 5k or so. My local walmart has them instock.

Heres a pic of what im using, dont have a installed pic on hand.

[​IMG]

Reggie4x4 likes this.
  3. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Yea, but doesn't it prevent possible beneficial lubrication to the upper cylinder?

4. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 Indigo Ink Pearl
    Needs whoring LOL
    So glad I found this, awesome idea! I'm going to order the micro can and do this. I'll post pics and results! Thanks for the inspiration.

5. Jun 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    I've never heard of what your referring to , and wouldn't be a very sufficient method of lubricating the top end if that is what it was intended for .

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Are you referring to something like Lucas Oil Upper cylinder lubricant?

7. Jun 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Wishbone1965

Wishbone1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    subbed great thread!

8. Jun 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Thnx chris...................should have 1 today or 2moro

9. Jun 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Yes. An upper cylinder lubricant like lucas is delivered through the injectors and lubricates the valve seats and upper cylinder. A catch can prevents "aerosolized" oil from flowing through the intake which would lubricate the upper cylinder. Am I wrong or does anyone see the logic?

10. Jun 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Ever seen those pictures of valves at the gas stations? That is what happens when the oil vapor goes throught the intake runners. It get burnt and crusty, and leaves deposits on the valves, pistons, dome, and everywhere else that it goes.

That stuff from Lucas Oil is to help clean that crap out, and lubricate the moving parts which have build up on them. So if a valve was sticking, it would help free it up again.

There will still be a small amount of oil vapor that does make it through the catch can, still. But it isn't meant to be a lubricant. That is what the brass valve guides are for.

11. Jun 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Now that sounds perfectly logical. Any reason why manufactures don't include this as a stock feature?

12. Jun 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Probably to keep idiots from forgetting to empty it.

RedDemolisher likes this.
  13. Jun 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Extra maintenance required? Make extra money by saying to go extensive extended oil change intervals , so that they have to clean the heads ( reference of friend with BMW)? make extra money by oil clogging cats? Make extra money because compression is lowered due to gunked up valves not sealing properly, so you lose gas mileage? Engineer the engine to fail due to the time it takes to build up enough burnt oil on the piston rings, that it causes expected damage? Or is it all because the EPA made a mandate, and the manufacturers spent the least amount of time to think of a proper solution?

Meh.....I don't know. Just throwing out guesses.

Likely this is the best answer.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  14. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    so I got my smog taken today and the guy called my oil catch can a fuel regulator!!! and he failed me for that!!!!!you can see the black oil in the line, last time I remember, fuel isn't black...

15. Jun 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    you live in commyfornia, what do you expect :rolleyes:

16. Jun 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Change your lines to a black hose, then? I know that you aren't allowed to use a can that has an filter on it which allows it to vent to atmosphere. But as long as your can doesn't vent to atmosphere, then you are just fine. In fact, you are polluting less with it on, as the engine burns less oil. :eek: Get a smarter ref, or complain that that guys isn't well informed enough.

17. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    TheMaskedAce

TheMaskedAce Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Murrieta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    RR 08 x-runner
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, K&N intaker, Evo half-mod, blackened stock rims, Alpine type-R stereo system.
  18. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Been waiting for almost a year to get 1.......... that apparently isn't news tho.

Ill be better off with fleabay, waiting for ttc to deliver is like waiting for delivery of the empire state building

19. Jun 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    TheMaskedAce

TheMaskedAce Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Murrieta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    RR 08 x-runner
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, K&N intaker, Evo half-mod, blackened stock rims, Alpine type-R stereo system.
    Really? that sucks...im sorry.

20. Jun 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    They disappeared....about that long ago....

To Top