1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CayucosTacoma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    Justyn98

Justyn98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justyn
    West Virginia and Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 barcelona red tacoma trd sport DCSB
    Led pod fog light inserts, kn cold air intake, Bilstein 5100 with 2 inch coil combo and progressive AAL. Touchscreen pioneer stereo and infinity components with 2 kicker comp r10's and jones turbine exhaust

so the hose on the left going towards the front is the in? right?

2. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    Drainbung

Drainbung Somedays you are the show....

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    The can should be labeled Inlet/Outlet. Inlet from the block, outlet to the intake.

Justyn98[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    I'll make it easy for you then. Do you have boost (turbo/supercharger)?
    If yes, get the can
    If no, don't waste your money

4. Nov 9, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    Pro Taco 11

Pro Taco 11 Sitt Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Joliet, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TX Pro 2011 4x4
    3" OME, RAAL, TRD Exhaust, Pioneer DBL DIN, Weather Tech's, Bull Bar, AFE CAI, Anytime Fog, Map/Dome light mod, Ultra Gauge, Tail Gate theft mod, Second Set of D-Rings in bed, Dura Tracs 285's, Satoshi deep dish, Leer 100 XQ, Wet Okole seat covers
    No, the hose on the left is the outlet, going into intake. The hose on the right, inlet, goes to rear of engine to egr valve.

All your doing is replacing the oem hose with the can. Using the new hose into original wgr and intake holes.

Justyn98[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 10, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I'm a little late to the game here, but do you happen to have a link to the light-bar mount you used?

6. Nov 10, 2017 at 5:08 AM
    iwashmycar

iwashmycar a lot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ 4x4 AT
    33's | 3" | skids | rails | dent | CB | lights | dingus
    It is just one of those legs that come with any light bar out there. You could probably use any kind of L bracket. My last can I actually used whatever bracket was provided with the can...its just getting it attached to that one bolt there.

example: see the leg that is standing to either side of this bar

[​IMG]

7. Nov 10, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    What if your catch can is not labeled in and out? How do you know which to hook where?

Example, the 42 draft design stealth. I am assuming the in is the lower port and out the upper? Am I correct in this?

8. Nov 10, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    Drainbung

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    Had to look it up, but I would agree with you. Not sure how easy it would be to drain it.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/stealth-oil-catch-can/

TacoFMS[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 10, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    iwashmycar

iwashmycar a lot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Lewis Center, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ 4x4 AT
    33's | 3" | skids | rails | dent | CB | lights | dingus
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Key-Rei, TacoFMS and Drainbung like this.
  10. Nov 10, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    It's got a drain plug with a valve on it on the bottom. So draining should be fairly easy.

I like that one as well, but I already bought the 42 draft one.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Drainbung[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 10, 2017 at 7:59 PM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    I have the small Mishimoto one sitting here, probably going to install it this weekend.

For us California guys, these things are NOT smog legal, you might fail the visual (at least per my smog guy). So hang onto your stock hose so you can put it back on when you have to smog.
    And technically a CHP guy could cite you/ ref direct you if you get caught running one. Doubtful it will happen unless you are doing something like hanging out at street races or parking lot drift spots.

12. Nov 10, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    Drainbung

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Fallabama, NV
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB
    TRD Fleshlight
    I just had to pull mine to get my gashole sniffed this weekend...scheduled it around my oil change and reinstalled when I got home.

Key-Rei likes this.
  13. Nov 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Correct. With the stealth, depending on the humidity drain it regularly. Since you have no method to view or check how full it is.

They also sell a petcock valve to make draining easier. Attach a hose to the valve, and drain into your disposable container of choice.

14. Nov 10, 2017 at 10:51 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Is there any reason to not plumb the right head breather into the catch can? I've modded my intake and have noticed a fair amount of oil mist is picked up and condensed in my copper line. If this is a good idea can anyone recommend a dual input catch can?

Forgive my on mobile finger painting.

Capture+_2017-11-11-01-46-54-1.jpg 20171110_102726.jpg

15. Nov 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    DaveB.inVa

DaveB.inVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR5 4x4 V6 AT MGM
    Oil Catch Can, OIl Pressure and Temp Gauges, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16
    The right hand bank is the crankcase breather. It should end up being connected before the throttle body in your intake and shouldn't connect back to the PCV side as you have it. If you want to run a can in this location you have to use a separate can.
    At full throttle you remove the vacuum difference between the PCV location behind the throttle body, most crankcase vapors during this time are drawn through the crankcase vent into the engine to be burned. At partial vacuum, with the throttle body anywhere but wide open, the crankcase breather side helps the PCV side work by giving the crankcase a flow path and the crankcase gases are drawn through the PCV side. When connected in this way, you'll typically not find much oil vapor in the intake tract as you're at full throttle a very small amount of time.

You need to fix how you have things connected because it really doesn't let the system work correctly and likely is pressurizing the crankcase and is why you're seeing the condensation in the copper line.

Key-Rei[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Huh, well today I learned.

Next question is, I originally decided to plumb this into the plennum as I figured this was dirtying the butterfly in the TB, but as your saying this right head breather should only be drawing when at WOT? During this timw the PCV is closed?

17. Nov 11, 2017 at 12:21 AM
    DaveB.inVa

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    The PCV valve probably isn't all the way closed. You have to look at where each is located and pressures from location to location.

At full throttle you're getting the most crankcase gas, however the manifold vacuum is at its least at this point because the throttle is wide open. There is probably some pressure difference between the crankcase on one side of the PCV valve and the manifold on the other side.

Even though the crankcase vent is close to the same pressure at WOT as the manifold, there has to be some difference between the pressures the left and right valve covers.

I'm an electrical guy and sometimes I have to fall back on some analogies. It's a common misconception to say that current takes the path of least resistance. Totally false, current takes all paths, however a greater amount of current flows through the path of least resistance. However, as long as there is a voltage difference across the path of greater resistance there will be current flow at that point also!

This is how I look at the PCV and crankcase vents. At WOT, both are at nearly the same pressure. At WOT the crankcase is at a higher pressure. There is less resistance through the crankcase side, its a wide open hose with no intentional restriction so logically most of the flow should be from that location. However there is a pressure difference across the PCV valve so there should be some flow IF the pressure difference is great enough to overcome the internal check of the PCV valve to open it.

The right hand crankcase breather does flow at partial throttle, just flow is going the other way, into the crankcase.

I remember reading earlier in the thread where some were wondering about the catch cans with a breather on top, the reason you don't want that is because at that point it'll be a vacuum leak. It would be the same as unplugging the hose going into the manifold on the PCV system. It's just a leak and easy enough to try to find out what will happen. Part of the PCV valves job is to meter the air between the crankcase and the manifold so it doesn't look like a big leak. This is also why some were mentioning orings on the dipstick of the ADD1W can. I have that can but don't recall if it has an oring on the dipstick, but you do want to keep the system sealed for that reason.

18. Nov 11, 2017 at 12:38 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:

I get your electrical analogy, though I'm just teaching myself electrical now.

Thanks for furthing my understanding of the crank venting operation. I knew a breather on the PCV catch would be a bad idea but wasn't fully aware of the right head breathers job. Now I know. Thank you.

Now the question stands, would you plumb the right breather into the intake just before the TB as stock was, (I would have to drill and tap my 1/8 wall alluminum MAF tube.) or can I get away with having it T into where I have my fuel pressure regulator vac line just after the filter with standard NPT fittings? The ladder would be easiest for me, but given your explination I'm concerned it may rob vacuum or cause positive pressure near the FPR VL being that close/ sharing a port into the intake stream?

19. Nov 11, 2017 at 12:54 AM
    DaveB.inVa

Member:
    SWVa
    Vehicle:
    You're welcome!

I'd put it in a separate port downstream of the vacuum line. The factory is that way and I looked at a few pics of aftermarket intakes and they're all that way. That will resolve the concern you have and putting it downstream will keep the vacuum line from being contaminated when the crankcase vent does flow at WOT.

20. Nov 11, 2017 at 1:07 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:

CRAP! Now I have to make a new copper line and tap the tube.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

DaveB.inVa[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top