1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil drain pan

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Av8er, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Av8er

Av8er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    Setting up for my first oil change on the truck. Picked up a 5/16" diam. 5' hose based on Chris4x4's write up. Tks buddy for that!

I have used for the past few years the cheap oil drain pan from Wally world:

[​IMG]

Can you guys recommend a better quality pan or set up which will last. The green spin off cap you see completely deteriorated after about 6 months so I can only fill it so full before dumps at Autozone. I would like one that is usable on our trucks plus a Honda Accord on jacks. I'd like to be able to do two or more oil changes prior to a trip to AZ to dump.

Any recommendations??

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I buy my oil in the 5qt jugs.
    Save the empty jugs, dump the drain pan into the jugs. When I get 4 jugs, I take them to Vatozone and dump them, take the jugs home.

Now I have plenty of jugs to cover oil changes when I'm using the Costco 6-packs that I got on sale for $26, radiator drains, etc...

I used to use that pan, but the oil hitting the surface splashed too much.
    I tried a couple of other pans, but settled on the square one that's open on top and doesn't seal. The rolled edges contain the splashing, and it's flat enough to slip under the motorcycle.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Great, tks Rich. Thanks once again for some great info. Appreciate you chiming in. I've got a few of those 5qt jugs laying around so I may go that route. Easier and cleaner to transport than my last setup.

4. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I gave up on transporting in the drain pan after one of the rectangular flat ones with the BIG screw-top decided to pop off while I was draining it.

Thankfully I was wearing my "work on the bike" grubbies and not on the way home from work.
    Called my wife to have her bring a nasty old blanket to put down in the car (I had a company car at the time).

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Murphy's Law at work. ;)

6. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I've got a powered detergent bucket that will fit about 3 of the 5 gal oil jugs in it. I've got an open top pan and just fill em up when I'm done changing the oil. When they're all full I put them in the bucket and take em to autozone or wherever. I also stuff a rag in the neck of the pan so it doesn't drip.

7. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Nice. Sounds like there are a few options out there. tks for the chiming in.

8. Nov 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    That pan you have works great for catching the oil and using it to put oil in another container. Just get yourself a good container to transport to the oil dump. Like a gas can.

9. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    I use a five gallon plastic coil cleaner jug with a pull up screw on cap. When it gets about 3/4 full I take it to Advance Auto and dump it.

This is a good oil catch pan. I do not like the ones with the small hole in the center as they tend to splash. You can also put a coarse sponge in the bottom of this one to prevent the initial tendency to splash up. YMMV

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17942-B...&qid=1353038962&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+drain+pan

http://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11837-Quart-Oil-Drain/dp/B00004X13X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

10. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    I have an oil drain bucket, then I use my empty 1 gallon milk cartons. They work great for transporting oil or whatever else you have.

11. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I use one like the one at the link Failure2Comply posted. The big screw cap sucks, but it has a big opening with a grate that halps avoid splashing. I immediately transfer the oil to either the 5 qt jug the new oil came in or those big orange juice jugs, much better for transporting back to AutoZone.

I bought the hose the last time around as well, beats trying to hold a Solo cup under the filter thingy!

We should design the TacomaWorld Perfect Oil Change Pan and start a TW community business to fund mods.

12. Nov 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    All great info folks. Getting some great and cheap alternatives! Now if only I could install a lift on the wife's Honda for easier access to the drain plug and remount the filter on top. ;)

13. Nov 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    For catching the oil filter oil, I just use an empty 1 liter oil bottle and stick it under the drain spout....fits good in there.... loosen the filter and let her drain.... works for me.... and then I replace the drain plug thingy and install new filter... no mess at all... I think that is better than having a long hose dripping oil that I now have to store...

good luck....

14. Nov 16, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    maxboi

maxboi MAXBOI

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SODA CITY
    Vehicle:
    2011 White D'Cab OR 4wd
    76 FJ horns, Weathertechs, Backup Camera anytime switch, Fogs anytime, Clamp & Washer tailgate, Diff Breather,
    I called the manufaturer of the same oil pan/container you posted a picture of. They sent me 2 replacement caps N/C.... they suck too.

Typically the lids off of other containers use the same size caps but often are of better quality. I think the ones I currently use actually came off of Mobil 1 or Penzoil jugs.

$.02

15. Nov 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I too use my own transport system. I have a milk crate that 4 antifreeze jugs fit in perfectly with room in the corner for rags. I fill those and then take crate to auto parts to empty in their recycle container and bring mine back home all empty for future changes. The nozzle on the pan fits good to empty into jugs. Must have for DIY changes for the 4 vehicles I has to maintain. No dealer oil changes here, not even on the new ones.

16. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
  17. Nov 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I like the old school sheet metal pans.
    Kind of tricky pouring into my oil jugs for the recycle deal but they clean up easy.
    We are lucky in my city we have 2 HHW (haz. household waste) pickups a year and I just save the old oil in the orig. jugs and they take it away for me :D

18. Nov 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    the only good thing about having a wife with cats? the big burly plastic jugs the cat litter comes in. i fill them up and run them to the oil drop off as needed.

i hate the round pan the OP pictured..the entry hole is too small for my 911. that car dumps 9qt from the sump fast. that pan cant keep up. i have a similar pan that is rectangular. works better.

19. Nov 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    raskal

raskal Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD MGM
  20. Nov 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    That one looks good. I have the one in the first post too and hate it. Caps leak, and it makes a mess if you don't get it positioned just right.

Products Discussed in

To Top