1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter Change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cfw4x4, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Jul 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Fram filter versus rolled blue shop towels.

Shop towels filtered better from start to saturated with contaminant. Also flowed better when completely saturated. Higher pressures caused Fram filter media to dislodge and circulate.

Synapses of a test done by my friend at his lab. We did this :eek: then this :laugh:

wheeliest likes this.
  2. Jul 3, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    wheeliest

wheeliest ///////////////////

Member:
    First Name:
    Json
    TMPE AZ
    Vehicle:
    05-SWB-DCSB-4X4-V6-SR5-SPORT
    NO SWAYBAR, Spacer lift with dirty4's
    Bypass valves are a joke on a lot of oil filters, people don't understand how these cheapy filters allow the debris to get washed back into the motor.

3. Jul 30, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    Michigan Curmudgeon

Michigan Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Member:
    The bypass valve in a good oil filter will not open during any sort of normal operation using the correct oil viscosity for the engine. Jim Allen over at BITOG proved this long ago.

The valve does not open at a specific oil pressure, it opens at a designed differential pressure across the inlet and outlet. Normal operations will not cause it to open. It takes a saturated filter, excessive viscosity, or a very high pressure spike such as stomping on it to the point that the filter can't flow the amount of oil being pumped into it without relief.

A bigger filter may not be better. Filters actually gain efficiency as they load, and the more media the longer it takes to load to the point that a marginally effective media (such as Toyota Denso) improves. Most people throw out their oil filters just when they start to get good.

4. Jul 30, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I ran the NAPA 1515 (Wix 51515, same as most Ford V6 engines) for quite a while. Then switched back to OEM YZZD3. I still have a couple left that I won't need anymore. I'd gladly give them to someone if it would prevent them from running a Fram filter.

Products Discussed in

To Top