1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oil filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tntacoma, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Nov 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    tntacoma

tntacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    I have posted a few times on oil and my favorite. I just recently learned a valuable lesson. I have always used amsoil (regular non-extended), some like it some don't. I use a factory oil filter. This weekend I was overdue for an oil change by about a 1000 miles and the dealership parts were closed, no biggie its a freaking Toyota. I was out of Toyota oil filters and went ahead and purchased one at the zone with a few other things. Oil change went well, let it heat up checked for leaks, all good.
    I go take a shower and go to town, now this is where it gets interesting, I noticed a tick while idling and when accelerating. I kept listening not getting worse but still there, the wife says I am crazy turn up the radio and I will not hear it. Long already story short, the filter I purchased does not have a flow back valve, thus causing the tick. On the 2007 Toyo's have the filter upside down. I parked went and got me a filter Monday when the dealership opened and proceeded with another oil change and voila the tick is now gone. Costly lesson, and I had to go back with Castrol full syn till I get my amsoil ordered. Somethings you need to stick with when it comes to factory parts. My filters run, 4.95 at the dealership, cheap. Has anyone else experienced this?

Products Discussed in

To Top