1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'oil' residue from new exhaust?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by notbrigum, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM
    notbrigum

notbrigum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    TRD intake, Magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, tube steps
    Yesterday I removed my two month old factory exhaust after the cats so I could instaff a new Magnaflow cat back system. a little bit or water, not much, came out of the pipe. I know water can condese in the exhaust and untill it heats up, collect there. Not necessarily a big deal. I put on the new pieces. No problems. However, almost immediately, there has been and maybe remains to be oily residue coming out of the tailpipe tip and actually dripping out and being splattered across my 4X4 mudguard. The residue has disolved the piant to some degree off of the formerly white 4x4 lettering. I ASSUME.. this residue is a combination of things; normal water codensation, maybe some fuel (as it dissolves paint?) and maybe some type of protective covering that was placed on the new pipes before they were shipped across the ocean to the U.S.? I would assume.. this will stop relatively quickly? Has anyone else seen this with their new exhasuts? I did wipe off the outside of the new pipes as they did feel like they were covered in something. Comment? I wanted to gloss white my receiver hitch cover. I guess I do my new mud flap now too.

2. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Odds are its just some crap from inside the new exhaust. Im just a few miles north of you, if you would like me to take a look at it, let me know.

3. Dec 3, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    notbrigum

notbrigum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    TRD intake, Magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, tube steps
    It stopped spitting crap out pretty quick, but not before it got on my 4x4 lettering on my mud flap. :( Looks like it was some kind of solvent. Oh well. Chris, I would like to catch up some time though. I'm at Stapley and Ray, behind the Bashas. You're around?
    This exhaust is a Magnaflow. ~$330 shipped. Pretty cheap. Cost I mean. Great quality. Stainless I believe. 2.5" and 3". The muffler is a straight shot, not terribly noisy but certainly not quiet at all. **The orig is listed on ebay for $10 Come on, surely someone wants it? There's gotta be some better use for it than scrap? Honestly, I think it really does make more sense to simply cut out your orig muffler and replace with what you want. There is very little diff between the orig pipe size and the new. A muffler w/o the kinks and a bigger tip, that's all these exhaust systems are. That and $300 to $600..

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 4, 2008 at 5:03 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yeah, we can meet up sometime. Im near Dobson and Rio Salado. PM me your number and will find a time.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Dec 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM
    tacoman316

tacoman316 go big or go home

Member:
    Mobile AL
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    K&N drop in filter, Banks monster exhaust
    You have nothing to worry about. My banks exhaust was the same way and what it is. is the company has to put oil on the pipe so when they bend it because it is a mandrel bent exhaust. They put oil on the pipes to prevent the pipe bending machine from pinching the tube which gives you a better bend in the piping and in turn better exhaust flow. I used to work at a muffler shop and they did the same thing. It will get burned off over time, and it may look like your exhaust is smoking but its from the oil in your pipe just give it a few days and it will go away.

Products Discussed in

To Top