1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil weight for 1st gen?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Machmoud, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Oct 30, 2006 at 5:54 AM
    Machmoud

Machmoud [OP] Member

Member:
    i'm a new '02, sr5,v6, tacoma owner and was wondering what weight/viscosity is recommended for oil changes and what's the torque spec for the plug? and is my wife's engine the same (she has an '00 4runner, sr5, with the v6) as mine?

2. Oct 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    use some mobil1 or other synthetic oil. 5w30 is what you should use. and yes both your wifes engine and yours are the same. 5vz-fe 3.4l v6.

3. Oct 30, 2006 at 10:59 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    It depends a little on where you are located. I'm in Washington and I run 5W-30 Mobil1 Full Synthetic in my Tacoma. I'm not the most up to date on oil viscosity but I think 10W-40 is for warmer climates and a 0W-30 would be for colder climates.

I think the manual calls for 5W-30.

4. Oct 30, 2006 at 11:07 AM
    twoarezee

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    you are correct sir. mobil 1 full synthetic is the sh!t.

5. Oct 30, 2006 at 2:17 PM
    Machmoud

Machmoud [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks fellahs, now how's about that oil plug torque spec (or is it tough but don't wail on it).

6. Oct 30, 2006 at 2:19 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy

That's how I do it.

7. Oct 30, 2006 at 4:30 PM
    twoarezee

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    i tighten it until it doesn't turn anymore. just replace the washer/gasket.

8. Oct 31, 2006 at 7:57 AM
    Machmoud

Machmoud [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks again. is the washer/gasket piece easily available at any local autoparts store or do i have to go the stealership?

9. Oct 31, 2006 at 10:12 AM
    twoarezee

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    should be available at any parts store, it just a washer.

10. Nov 14, 2006 at 4:04 PM
    airman

airman New Member

Member:
    Have a new 2006 4 cyl Tacoma and was wondering when you can change to synthetic oil. Is the first change at 5000 miles a good time or do you need more break in time?

11. Nov 14, 2006 at 5:35 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Check with your dealer on synthetic and have it documented. Some manufactures do not encourage the switch to synthetic oil. For synthetic, the sooner the better from what I know. However, the long term effects of synthetic are unknown. Or is it? Time will tell.

12. Nov 21, 2006 at 1:48 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    For some reason Toyota does not seem to endorse any synthetic,however, lots of people use it. It will run fine with any synthetic.

As far as the torque spec's on a drain plug, its really not necessary, the proper way, generally, is to hand tighten it if possible and then use a box wrench of the correct size and just snug it up and then perhaps a 1/8 turn further. Changing the washer is a good idea also. You never want to use a worn or mis-sized wrench, in other words, if the drain plug is for arguement sake, 15mm, us a good 15mm box wrench, which is a closed wrench. Do not use a 16mm wrench or a US spec wrench. You can use a socket wrench but it is not really necessary.

I used to teach beginning automotive at adult education courses. So I realize that it is hard to "tell" someone exactly how much to tighten a nut or drain plug. I also had many people using the wrong tools and tightening the plug unnecessarily.
    When the oil is replaced and the filter in place(be sure to lube the rubber filter gasket) start it up and check for small drips. one other good tip is to never work on any vehicle when you on a hurry.
    If your drain plug is banged up from using the wrong wrench, just go to the dealer and get a new one and replace next oil change.
    If you have a few miles on your truck, when you under it, look around for leaks and check the rubber boots on the drive axle and around the hoses. jeff

13. Nov 12, 2007 at 1:33 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of oil (type/visc) do the new vehicles come with? Is it a special "break-in" mineral oil, or is it just regular 'ol 5w-30?

14. Nov 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    as far as i know, each dealer has been different in what they are using, however its been 5w30 or 5w20. some have been using regular dino oil, and some have been using synthetic blend, from different posts ive read on different forums. i dont really think toyota uses a special break in mineral oil.

15. Nov 12, 2007 at 2:40 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    TSUNAMI*22, all Toyota trucks come with 5-30 oil. These days there is no such thing as "break in oil" . Just regular old 5W-30. Toyota's manual on oil changes doesn't support syn oil, like Mobil One or Castrol or any other brand. However you will find that different dealers all over the US will put in syn with no problem. Should you want to use syn oil(and you should) anytime after your first oil change is OK, some people wait longer some do it in the first 3000 miles.Its up to you. I also know some Taco guys who use "dino" oil and always get 300,000+ out of there engines.
    Using good quality oil and filter is the best possible way to keep your engine in good shape, that and allowing you engine to come up to normal temp before higher rev's.

Regular maint and not over heating your engine is the key to long engine life.

Corvettes and Porsches all come from the factory with Mobil One, precision manufacturing tolerances is the key in that case.
    Jeff
    06,V6 4x4, 6spd SR5

16. Nov 12, 2007 at 3:00 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod
    The reason I asked is because we use a mineral oil for the first 50 hours of "break-in" on the helicopters that I fly (Robinson's R-22/R-44). After that they use aviation grade oil called "ashless dispersant". The benefit being that no sludge ever gets deposited anywhere inside the motor becuase ALL the gunk stays suspended within the oil and gets drained on each change.

From what I understand, the synthetic oil with a good filter is good for 5,000 miles.

Thanks for the input. ;)

17. Nov 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i say synthetic is definitely the way to go. i was running mobil1 5w30 full synthetic,with a mobil1 m1-102 filter, but now im running pennzoil platinum 5w30 with the m1-102 filter. great stuff!!!

18. Nov 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Helicopters are very different from cars and trucks, very different in the engine load spec's and the tremendous cost of the craft.

As far as length between changes , I think you will find that 5000 miles is about average. I have been looking at oil and filter websites for some time and everyone has there own opinions. Some car and truck owners change at every 3000 with syn, to me thats a waste of $$$. In reality it doesn't matter whether its 3000 or 5000 or 6000, its the fact that the old oil is removed and a new filter and oil(syn or dino) is being put back in. This is the best possible solution for any recently new car or truck.
    Regular maint, whether you do it or you have it done at a garage/dealership(hopefully not these quick change garages) is the key and looking at the owners manual from time to time.

Tacoman06, love the exhaust system on your truck, really looks different and has that custom look. Did you do that yourself or at a shop? Fill us in on how that was done and what products did you use and was it a lot of hassle to put on dual exhausts?

Jeff
    06 v6, 4x4, SR5 , 6spd Bone stock

19. Nov 13, 2007 at 2:34 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    thanks for the compliment on the exhaust. its actually kind of a custom job, but i got one of our local muffler shops to do it. i used a flowmaster original 40 3inch in center/ 2.5 inch dual out, then the muffler shop cut out the stock muffler, welded in the new one,then ran piping straight out the back, with 3 inch polished stainless tips. i really love the sound. now, the shop i went got a little bit lazy, and actually removed my spare tire to fit the exhaust, but im gonna have that fixed before too long, as im tired of having the spare riding around in the bed. just note that duals out the back CAN be done without removing the spare. price wasnt bad either, basically it was right at $300 for everything(muffler,piping,welding,hangers and stainless tips).

20. Nov 13, 2007 at 5:41 PM
    pivitol

pivitol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD Off-Road V-6 4WD de-flapped
    Call me paranoid but I always do my own oil changes. For me it is piece of mind knowing that there is a new quality filter and actually 5.5 qts of fresh oil. I personally use OEM filters with Valvoline 5w-30 every 3k (call me old fashioned). But i've heard too many horror stories about people who take it somewhere. Like filters falling off, striping the drain plug threads, not enough oil, and my favorite used oil!! A guy at work took his truck to (of all places) Wally World had the oil changed and pulled into the parking lot pulled the dipstick and the oil was BLACK not the amber color of new oil, black! Of course they swore they put fresh oil in, no refund have a nice day.

Products Discussed in

To Top