1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil weight for 1st gen?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Machmoud, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Nov 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i think im one of the few that looks forward to changing my own oil(and all other maintenance) on my own. at least you know its done right.

2. Nov 14, 2007 at 5:41 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    tacomaman06, thanks for the info on your exhaust, I do have a custom exhaust shop just a few miles from me and I might stop by and see what they have to say. I will use your info to ask them about the spare tire and the flowmaster and the cost.
    I live in Mass. and the climate around here on inspections sticker is iffy when it comes to "other than stock" exhaust sounds. So I have to be careful, they allow loud Harleys etc., but balk at something louder than stock on a truck. Of course its just a matter of finding a friendly inspection shop. I also would like to ask if you have seen any mpg improvement with the addition of the airaid cold air system, I see lots of claims about increased hp etc., and I know its better to have cold air than hot but I wonder about the cost of a cold air system vs. improved mpg?

pivitol: yep you hear lots of horror stories, these quickie oil change franchises carry a ton of insurance to cover the mistakes of there cheap hired help. Even though insurance would cover mishaps, its such a waste of time and hassle and just poor business. Then you have the idiots who change there oil right out in the WallyWorld parking lot.
    You also are correct about the correct amount of oil in your truck, they often short change you and even worse over fill the engine. A good lesson for everyone is to always check the dipstick.
    My Toyota dealer also has a very inexpensive oil change at about $22, which isn't bad. Its also not bad to develop a relationship with a decent dealer.
    I always use OEM filters from my local dealer and also use Wix filters as they seem to be of very good quality. I try to time my oil changes to spring and fall when I can do them in my yard as I have no garage. I do have a very qualified local garage that could do in the colder weather.

At my next change I will be using Mobil One and changing at 5-6000 miles. I like the cold weather and heat benefits when using syn's.

Jeff
    06,6spd,4x4, SR5, Brilliant Red, V6, Bone stock still.

3. Nov 14, 2007 at 2:28 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

hey jeff, as far as the airaid intake, i may have picked up 1,maybe 2 mpg......but i will say that i believe its part due to the fact that i run synthetic oil, and have the exhaust also. honestly though, i dont really pay alot of attention to mileage because,with my exhaust, i love to romp on it alot and hear my intake and exhaust growl. let me know what you decide to do about your exhaust. if the 40 series is gonna be too loud for inspections, you may want to check out the delta flow 40 or maybe even the delta flow 50, as they are a good bit quieter than my 40, but they still have that awesome rumble. hope this helps!!

4. Nov 15, 2007 at 1:27 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    tacomaman06, sometime this winter I will be checking out that local custom shop and see what they have for prices etc. I also will check in with my local inspection station and see just how much growl they will put up with. I would hate to spend a lot of money and then have problems at inspection time.
    Thanks for your help on this and the info on airaid etc.

Jeff
    06, V6 6spd,4x4, SR5, Bone stock still !

5. Nov 15, 2007 at 2:07 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey jeff....no problem buddy. if you have any more questions....feel free to ask.

Products Discussed in

To Top