1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ok, for those with the dreaded peeling paint - How did you fix it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grissom, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    grissom

grissom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    So on my 07' Super White Tacoma I have the paint flaking off on the inside edge of the door.

I did buy a can of Dupli-Color and have experimented on a scrap body part before even considering trying it on my truck - not sure yet if I will attempt to go this route

Did you fix it on your own and if so how - did it turn out well?IMG_1466[1].jpg

DawsonDestroyer likes this.
  2. Feb 24, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    Fullboogie

Fullboogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner & 2008 4Runner
    My son's white Tacoma is doing that all over. It also started in the door frames. Nothing you can do short of repainting.

michael roberts likes this.
  3. Feb 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    That area is not so visible after closing the doors so I would just use touch up and call it a day.

4. Feb 24, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    What did Toyota say about it? That is obviously inferior preparation prior to painting.

5. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    grissom

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    There are several threads about Tacomas having this issue both 2nd and 3rd gens. The newer trucks Toyota seems to be fixing but mine is now 14yrs old and I have had it since it was new and everytime I look at it - being disappointed would be a major understatement.

I am currently on the fence about if I want to keep it and get the door repainted at a body shop or just get rid of it for a new truck.

With many members having a problem I wanted to know what worked for them (DIY) if it did

6. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    point45

point45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad
    I used the duplicolor spray cans to redo my truck. Did the roof, hood and cleared the doors, you can tell as its not as glossy but its been a year and its still holding up.

I might redo the clear and actually polish it this time to try and blend it in some but on a truck I beat on off roading and hunting, its hard for me to get motivated to redo it just because its not perfect.

7. Feb 25, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    The paint on my hood is chipped and flaking and the paint on my roof and along some door edges are fading. When it gets to the point it bothers me more I'll probably go the Duplicolor route, I don't want to spend a bunch on a truck that the head gaskets have a decent chance of failing on. I won't be buying another Tacoma.

Accipiter13 likes this.
  8. Feb 25, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    point45

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad

Its easier to fix the clear than the actual paint. If its just the clear coming off making it look faded (white residue) just knock that out now before the paint gets really bad. That was my mistake, put it off for too long and it was 4 times the work but yeah the paint is horrible on these trucks. Remindes me of the 90's GM paint but that stuff just peeled off in chunks down to the metal.

I know theres a head gasket issue but I stopped worrying about it long ago. After 170k+ miles and 15 years of driving, if the engine needs a head gasket now I dont feel like I was cheated.

Monkeybutt2000 likes this.
  9. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    I've got the black sand mica (I think that's what Toyota calls it) and it's known to have chipping/flaking issues. I've got cracks and chipping in the hood, on the roof the paint is windburned and also cracked and peeling (with some rusting) and on the door edges the paint is windburned. I've used a touch up pen on the hood but I just looked at the roof again and it's gotten a lot worse since I last looked at it. I'm going to have to do something soon to stop the rust.

Toyota has had issues with their white color as well. I know two people who've had their cars repainted by Toyota when it started peeling off in strips but both were newer than my truck.

Part of the problem is the EPA, part is manufactures being cheap.

10. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:47 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, actually it is most of the problem as I believe auto manufacturers have had to move to water-based paints.

11. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    point45

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad
    My truck is blue, ive personally seen the paint problems with red, blue and black or maybe its just more noticeable on those colors when driving around.

I had another tacoma (red) driver talk to me about it at a stop light asking if it was a common problem and how to get toyota to cover it/lawsuit. (I thought she was trying to get my number at first :anonymous:)

Yeah the water based paint does not last as long, most cars around here at minimum get clear coat problems after a few years in the so cal sun, the german made cars seem to hold up well though. I dont get why they had to switch if everything is done in a filtered environment.

12. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    jdmstuff

jdmstuff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Torrance, CA and Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD OR DCSB AT, '08 TRD Sport DCSB AT, '03 TRD 3.4l 4x4 MT Supercharged
    I did this. LOL

13. Feb 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    Oldewing1800

Oldewing1800 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab
    Dog hair, lost happy meal parts from Grandkids....
    My Red one is peeling clear coat on all horizontal surfaces, and just flat wore off around drivers window. but you can't see it is your driving, most of the time. So I don't worry so much, she is a worker, and long way from a show truck.

14. Feb 25, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    pyrite4t3

pyrite4t3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR AC
    I understand why you said this, but let me assure you that the water borne paint is just as good, if not better than solvent based.

As referenced above GM had major issues in the 90's long before water based was being utilized. The problem that the majority of 040 (super white) owners are experiencing is simply delamination where the base, and subsequent clear coats fail to bond with the sealer.

My recommendation is to have the panels stripped and refinished. This, for a plethora of reasons isn't viable for most of us. I would say that getting 'something' done whatever that may be for each individual is very important to do as soon as feasibly possible as the sealer that becomes exposed has no UV protection. Rattle can, touch- up, wrap, whatever suits your case. Just do it as soon as possible to avoid complete failure.

15. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:35 PM
    point45

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad

I know what youre trying to say and I agree to an extent but the 90's GM paint issues were also because they switched to water based paint and did not have the process nailed down yet.

16. Feb 26, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    N minus 1

N minus 1 Ruff Road Designs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    I am having the same issue. PLEASE call toyota HQ and file a claim. If enough people do that the chances of toyota repainting our trucks is pretty good.

As for what I did, I went back to the used car lot I bought my truck from and kept bugging them (politely but repeatedly) and they eventually caved in and painted the 2 door/window sills with flaking paint. For new instances of flaking paint I do a light sanding, clean it really well and put several layers of touch up paint. Light sand again and buff to desired finish.

IMG_20201116_162550785_HDR.jpg

17. Feb 26, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    grissom

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    I will make a call to Toyota HQ for what its worth - who knows

N minus 1, just how extensive has the paint issue been?

18. Feb 26, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    I know when my uncle went in to complain about his (the white Scion) they initially said no then apparently someone with some power had the paint on their rooftop peel off in a sheet while going down the road and Toyota had a sudden change of heart. I know they repainted his hood and roof, not sure how much else got repainted, but it didn't cost him anything.

Just like the rusty frames, breaking leaf springs, craptastic catalytic converters, leaky whistling windshield seal, spiral cable, temp/compass resistor, failing head gaskets, etc. Toyota knows they have issues, some of they fix, some (like the head gaskets) they refuse to deal with.

19. Feb 27, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    N minus 1

N minus 1 Ruff Road Designs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Trailing edge of 3 windows and about 8" on 2 door jams

Products Discussed in

To Top