1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Okay, Okay, Okay

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Grey Ghost, May 24, 2009.

1. May 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    I have an '06 PreRunner, Double Cab, sitting on stock suspension with the stock 16" alloy wheels. SO...it's time to get new tires!! What better time to perform an upgrade?

What I am wanting to do is put a bigger, wider, AT tire on black steelies. Given that, my question is twofold: What size rims should I get (will an upgrade to 17" be more trouble than it's worth)? And what size tires can I fit?

I have done a fair amount of research on this site and others, and can't find a straight answer. In regards to the biggest tires that can be used, I've seen 265/75/16, 32" (what width?), 33", the same size have right now, and on and on and on. I really don't want to go to a 17" wheel, but with all of my internet searching, I haven't been able to find a good looking set of 16" wheels.

OH...I suppose I should fill you all in on my level of off-road activity. I don't do much running in the mud, due to my lack of a 4WD, and lack of a lift (on top of the street rubber on the wheels!), but I do a little trail riding, mostly simple stuff. Nothing real hard core. Truth be told, I just like the beefier look. I had a '00 single cab 4WD, and ran 31" x 10.50's on it, and LOVED it. Really wanting to get that same kind of stance on my '06.

Thanks ahead of time for the help, and I look forward to hearing from y'all.

2. May 24, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    get whatever size rim in an 8" width and either a 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 since you are on stock suspension. thats the largest size tire you can do w/o hitting stuff

3. May 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    If you do a few trails, stick with the 16" rims. The more tire sidewall between obstacles and rim the more protection

4. May 25, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    And so it shall be. Right now it's a showdown between ProComp Xtreme Alloys Series 8069, and XD Series XD122.

I'll wrap them in 265/75/16 rubber. I'll post pics when I get it put together. Thanks for the help, guys!!

5. May 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i almost had the xd122's in matte black, but were in an indefinate backorder

Products Discussed in

To Top