1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Okay to drive with old tires?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Who Dat Popcorn, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn [OP] Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    I'm getting my wheels powder coated, so I'm going to be wheel-less for a but. I have my old steelies, but they have been sitting in the shed for a year. Is it fine to just slap em on and drive around with them? Gonna be using the highway a lot.

2. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    How do they look, is there a lot of dry rot? You can look at it this way, my wife's car has two sets one for winter and one for summer. So each sitting for about 6 months of the year in a corner of the garage. I just give them a quick once over and check the air before they go on the car. Otherwise no worries.

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    As long as they hold air, have enough tread, and aren't dry rotted you should be fine.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    ya really can't see rotten on newer stuff till you actually roll on it and it flies apart.

That being said, I've rolled on some pretty nasty tires without noticing.. then again, the road is covered with people's tires.

5. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Clean them up, inspect, and if no rot, put some 303 aerospace protectant on the sidewalls and roll!
    I would put that stuff on any tires you store and, or use.

6. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    PR45

PR45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    6 months, a year, no biggie unless they've been in the sun and are cracked.

I just put some 5 year old Goodyears on my Exploder and took them off after about a week. I got to looking at them again after they ran a while, and even though there were no cracks when I put them on, cracks were opening in the tread and sidewalls.

The Exploder will be getting a set of Dunlops off my Tacoma, as soon as I decide which way to go with my Yoko Geolanders--white letter out, or blackwall. WTF is a "Geolander" anyway? And do I want everyone asking that when they look at my truck? But I digress...

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    the tire still holds air and is round? still good! lol a year isn't much to worry about.

Products Discussed in

To Top