1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

old intel chip help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by HerNameIsLucy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy [OP] I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    i'm working on a friends ancient computer. it has a socketed celeron 366mhz chip in it. can i replace it with a 500mhz celeron chip?

2. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Thanks phantom. Already got the memory covered, taking out the two 64meg PC100 sticks and trying two 256meg PC133 sticks. Have buckets of them from systems I've gutted over the years. I've been in computers since 1979 but honestly never ever dealt with celeron chips. Seem like a waste of silicon to me.

This is a friend's machine, she doesn't have a lot of money to spend on it so I'm just trying parts I have in my computer dump room. Figure going from 366 to 500 probably isn't gonna help much, but what the heck I have the chip just sitting anyways.

The machine is an old HP box. Some other "tech" upgraded her from 98 (original OS) to XP home. It's for sure choking on the 128meg it has now, especially seeing how part is shared with the video.

Far as Linux, I love it....but for her...nope. She still thinks she needs AOL to get on the 'net!

3. Oct 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    wow...i thought xp needed a minimum of 512 to run...and definately a faster processor than a 366 or even a 500...they'd be better off still running 98 or even 95

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    It'll run in 128MB, and you'd be amazed how many machines in we get at work that are running only that! Takes forever to load Windoze alone, and heaven help ya if you wanna open a Word doc.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    You're bringing back memories! In the Air Force I worked on the ITT 465L system. Only three built, one was at March AFB in Riverside Ca (where I was), one at Offut AFB in Nebraska, and one at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana. They were SAC command and control systems, they were the backbone the Generals used to send commands to launch ICBMs, and the Pacific ocean Navy sub fleet got their orders through the ULF system hooked to the system in CA.

They used drum drives, big suckers, loved to watch them lift when they spun up. And core memory, it was on big planes dunked in cooling oil. We had a baseball bat that was a "parity error repair tool", we'd bop the side of the vat to dislodge anything in there that was causing parity errors.

Every gate was on a baby-board, the baby-boards plugged in to the mother-boards. When the thing failed (and it RARELY did) you didn't troubleshoot to the motherboard, you troubleshot to the bad transistor! It ran IIRC at 1Mhz and that was blazing for those days, the registers were 128 bits and you could manually set their start up states with pushbuttons on a huge console.

It took up a building the size of an aircraft hanger. The cooling and standby generator unit was in its own building, there was a picture of someone standing in one of the cylinders of the engine used for the generator.

What I liked best about all that was I KNOW how a computer works, watching bits travel through a register. Nowadays you just toss the thing if it doesn't work, back then you had to FIX it.

Now I'm feeling nostalgic!

6. Oct 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Does anyone make a good salsa to go with these chips?

7. Oct 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    ubuntu was cool to mess with but i dont prefer it.

8. Oct 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    well the 500Mhz chip went in and CPU-Z says it's running at 500. HP bought the crippled version of this board, there are no pins on the headers to change the bus speed, I tried soldering across the board lands but the FSB is still stuck at 66Mhz. So the faster memory won't help. It's better than it was anyways.

phantom, you visited March? When I was there it was full of BUFFs and crazy ass jarheads flying Phantoms. A company I worked for about 8 years ago sent me to San Diego for some training, I rented a car and visited March. It's a reserve base now. Sad. The chow hall parking lot is overgrown with weeds, the NCO club roof caved in, and somehow the Army got ahold of the dorm I lived in, painted it this nasty ass green. Depressing.

9. Oct 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Happens to us lucky ones. ;)

Products Discussed in