1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    285's on stock wheels without spacers ? You're not contacting the UCA with the sidewall of the tire ?

2. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    CanadianTRDOffRd

CanadianTRDOffRd Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    07 Black TRD Off Road
    Painted black rear bumper Painted front grill Maxpider digital fit floor mats Black Tail Lights Black Depot headlights Full OME lift LR UCA's Relentless front Bumper Thule Rack System 285/70/17 KO2’s
    Who did you order your kit from?

3. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
  4. Nov 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    yota4Whelz

yota4Whelz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    -Removed mudflaps -Blacked out tail lights/ third brake light -Blacked out emblems -Truxedo truxport tonneau cover -Tailgate theft mod -Eyelids (Toyotaman) -Center console organizer (Salex) -WeatherTech Digital fit floor liners -BHLM -Wet Okoles fronts and backs -Homertaco satoshi grill -Pioneer h/u -Disabled seat belt chime -LED gauge swap (Jerez) -BAMF Light bar w/ 2 hella 500ffs -Old Man Emu 90000 front shocks, 885x coilovers, nitro sports and AAL in the rear -285/70/17 wrangler duratracs -1.25 Bora spacers (4) -Super 40 series Flowmaster -Differential breather mod -Blacked out bedsides -Method NV Race wheels -EGR in channel window visors -Interior/license plate/tails LEDs (Jumpers LEDs)
    I have spacers comin..its tight but only rubs at full lock..I'll be underway all next week anyway so by the time I get back to land the spacers should be waitin for me

5. Nov 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    CanadianTRDOffRd

CanadianTRDOffRd Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    07 Black TRD Off Road
    Painted black rear bumper Painted front grill Maxpider digital fit floor mats Black Tail Lights Black Depot headlights Full OME lift LR UCA's Relentless front Bumper Thule Rack System 285/70/17 KO2’s
    How much did it cost from Cap-it?

6. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    That's still pretty good. You should be rubbing like crazy. I'm guessing if you went off roading, you'd find that you're rubbing a lot more once you started flexing the suspension a lot. I wasn't brave enough to go 285s......I'm sticking with 265s. I think they look alright.

7. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    Hey guys, a few questions...
    Im getting 885x coils, LR UCA's, and some top plate spacers to replace my spacer lift...(4.0 doublecab shortbed 4x4)
    1. What is the point of dropping the extra money on the ome shocks over 5100's @ 0?
    2. Should I use the 10mm Spacers or the 13mm Spacers? I need to get 3" of lift no less, and its ok if it goes a bit over because I will be able to get alignment right with the UCA's.
    3. I was planning on not getting the diff drop in the front is that ok?

Thanks guys!

8. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I added 1/4" spacers to mine and got just less than 3" so you'll probably want 1/2" to ensure you get a full 3". There's been a little debate over OME vs 5100s......no real answer that I've seen other than the Nitrochargers were meant to be paired with the OME coils. And you definitely do not need/want the diff drop.....it's worthless on 2nd gens.

9. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Answers/opinions in red :thumbsup:

10. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    thanks so much for the help!!

11. Nov 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    Nostunknivek

Nostunknivek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR partially debadged
    Seat belt chime mod, weathertech floor liners, secondary air filter removal,
    In the end my entire kit ended up costing about $1645 plus tax. It's nice because they actually warranty the product themselves, just bring in the vehicle and they take it off if something's broken related to the kit and replace the part at no cost. Even if I installed it myself.

Keep in mind you still have to purchase OE bushings from Toyota that run you about $60-70 for 4 on top of the lift price. I'm going to get Westshore Offroad to assemble my coils and struts so I don't take an arm off trying to do it myself (or worse). That'll cost another $80-100. I may be able to get my buddy to do it as his shop at the navy base but they're kind of strict about working on stuff that's not owned by the government there. It would be nice to forgo that extra dough and keep it in my pocket

12. Nov 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    The base should have an MWR operated automotive hobby shop. Even PNSY has one.

13. Nov 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    He's in Canada , not sure that applies

14. Nov 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    elclem21

elclem21 Quebeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Clément
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD DCLB
    OME 885x front, TC UCAs, OME Dakars rear, 4.30 gears, Eaton Detroit Truetrac (rear diff), HomerTaco Raptor Style satoshi grill
    We do have that type of hobby club for the military community on most of the Canadian Forces bases, but I don't know them all. Halifax, Gagetown, Bagotville, Kingston, Petawawa, Borden, Edmonton and Wainwright are the only locations I know where such a club exist.

However, Some of them are not doing great at this time. I heard words that the one in Edmonton was shut down (not sure if temporary or permanent). Borden and Gagetown had some issues as well, but don't know the actual status of it.

15. Nov 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info

16. Nov 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    Lwb053

Lwb053 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Regular Cab
    Ok, so after reading a few dozen of the pages of this thread, I have more questions than answers.

I just put the OME Dakkar springs and OME shocks on the back of my 2010 Pre Runner Reg Cab. The back is up quite a bit now (maybe a little over 3"). I did this more because of the heavy load that I tow rather than for "lift" (but the lift is really nice!). The stock springs and shocks just didn't cut it with a 2 horse trailer on a long haul. Now the headlights are aimed way low, so I told the wife that I have to have the front OME springs/struts to level the headlights. Not being mechanical at all, she merely suggested re-aiming the headlights. What fun is THAT!?

So the questions:

-With the regular car Pre Runner, no trail armor (other than Avid sliders), I was looking at probably the 884 with OME struts up front. My estimate is that that should level the truck. Will I be OK with the stock UCA, or will I have alignment/travel/rubbing issues, or is it a "some do, some don't" answer?

-As far as I can tell, I should just need the springs and struts. I believe there's a spacer or something like that specific to a lean issue with Tacomas also? Any other things I'm forgetting/needing?

-Right now I have the stock Dunlops that came on the truck, bit I'm leaning toward 265/75 16 Grabber AT2s. I don't think I'm going to have any rubbing issues from that, but if anyone has definite info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Keith

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  17. Nov 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wow, I took a picture of mine when I had my lift half-way installed, just the rears. Couldn't imagine driving around like that!

884s will get you about back to where you were when you were stock, probably not quite level. It'll still have a little bit of rake which I like. With the amount of lift you get from just the springs, you should be fine with the stock UCAs. When you order the stuff, make sure they include the 5mm trim packer (correct the tacoma lean). That should be all you need.

As far as the tires go, you will have no issues with 265/75/16s. I run that size and they fit even on stock height with no rubbing issues.

18. Nov 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    Lwb053

Lwb053 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Regular Cab
    bjboucher

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I prefer the slight nose-down look over the "bulldog" (nose-up) look myself. I knew the OME setup on the back would definitely give it a "downhill" look (gets better mileage always going downhill, right?) but didn't realize it would be THAT much. About the only thing I can see in my rear view mirror right now is the tailgate and what's in the bed! :)

I also didn't realize how big and empty the rear wheel wells look now. Of course, it's hard to tell how they're going to shape up when I bring the front back up, but right now the rear wells with stock tires look almost comical. When I get it leveled, the 265/75 will fill the gaps properly? The image in your build thread looks like what I'd like to see....

19. Nov 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    When the 884s settle, if you still think the bed is too far in the air you can remove one of the overloads for about 1/2".

20. Nov 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    If you get some decent A/T tires, I think 265s are fine. They may look a little small still if you get less "meaty" tires though. Just my opinion.

To Top