1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4Wheelin4Banger, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Sep 29, 2021 at 4:01 PM

233945 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    TAV Built 2018 TRD Access Cab / 2019 TRD DBSB / 79 LC BJ40
    I've only got about 12K kilometers on them so they aren't exactly worn out, though the thought crossed my mind. It might be easier to just buy new shocks.

2. Sep 29, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    penadam

penadam Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab Tacoma TRD
    No idea. Been really difficult to find info or photos of them. I hope it's for a set, as realistically they should be a $5 part. I'm a little disappointed with the lifespan as I've got under 20k miles and 5 years on the shocks.

3. Sep 29, 2021 at 4:55 PM

233945 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    TAV Built 2018 TRD Access Cab / 2019 TRD DBSB / 79 LC BJ40
    I know what you mean with the mileage, I have even less than that but 20 years on the shocks. There is a place down the road from me that is an OME dealer so I called them about an hour ago to get availability and pricing, They said they have been an OME dealer for years and today was the first time they had a call for OME bushings...and that I was the second one calling them. Apparently someone else here in town needed some as well. They said he had bought a new shock, popped out the bushing which has the part number molded into it and then had them order new bushings off that.

I'll see what they say but I may just end up getting some new sdhocks, especially if they are that pricy. New shocks for my Land Cruiser are $120 each.

4. Oct 22, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    Sna

Sna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 trd sport 6MT dcsb, mostly stock?
    Just adding to this page because I've had the Dakars and then switched to Dobinsons due to the Dakar leaf pack not cutting it. Below are the details...

I recently switched from OME Dakars (CS047R + aal for 8 leafs total) to the Dobinsons 112-R pack with the 113-R aal (for 8 leafs total) and am very happy with how this turned out. My truck runs at least 6900lbs loaded so she's a heavy girl. Front bumper and skid plates are aluminum and the rear bumper w/dual swing outs (33" tire, 40L fuel and high lift) and sliders are steel. The Prinsu rack has an awning, Maxtrax and a gun case with recovery gear in it. Front is lifted approx 2.25" from stock. I may have been alright with just the 112-R packs but I still have room to add a few more camping items an will be pulling a small inflatable boat in the future. If you need a heavy duty leaf pack for your application, consider Dobinsons as a better option to the Dakars at 2/3 of the price of Deaver Expedtion stage 3s.

Truck with the Dakars (below) is completely unloaded (nothing in the bed).

Truck with the Dobinsons (below) is fully loaded approx. 6900-7000lbs.

Dalegribble02 and acdubstaco like this.
  5. Oct 23, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    BigMack

BigMack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mack
    Southern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica access cab TRD
    I'm going with the same kit (installing Thursday) most folks seem to have mixed feelings on the 886s. Seems you and I are running a similar set up with a camper shell plus an ARB bumper. If you can hold out for some heavier armor I'd say stick with it for a bit then see how they act. Maybe even a winch in the front would help out? Either way. If you still have the issue once you add some more weight you should try ripping the 885s instead. That should help out. Keep me posted!!

acdubstaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 24, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Snowmonkey800

Snowmonkey800 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Vehicle:
    19 taco access cab TRD off road.
    IMG_20211023_151723929.jpgFinally got parts stuck to the new rig! Full ome med kit. Got about 3inchs all around, with center bumper and x20 winch. I was on the fence on which way to go. Im glad I went ome! Ride is amazing!

clem408 and acdubstaco like this.
  7. Oct 25, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    acdubstaco

acdubstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR
    Thanks for the response. That's kind of what I have decided as well, if I am going to be spending the money, I may as well spend it on some armor and equipment and see if that helps. It's not such a bad place to be in when you need to add weight to your vehicle, I could do that all day if I had the money. :drool: Good luck with the install and expect your truck to ride pretty stiff before things settle!

8. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    SkrappyDewtal

SkrappyDewtal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB

I was going to go with the heavy load options, but it sounds like without a decent amount of weight I might need to go with a medium load set up. Did you end up adding any more weight and see a difference?

9. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    acdubstaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR
    If you have a heavy steel bumper with a winch or skid plates in the front, and a heavy constant load like a camper or bumper in the rear, you should be fine with the heavy load setup. If you are planning on doing these things in the future, I would go with a medium duty and change out springs when the time comes.

I purchased the heavy duty set on a stock truck thinking I would add weight and it would plush out. What I have since found is that it takes a hell of a lot of weight to compress the springs enough for a smooth ride, right now I would guess I am sitting at the top 1/4th of my strut travel, meaning I have limited down travel and I constantly top out the metal stops on the inner shock reservoir, giving me a loud, and often jarring, "clunk" on most speed bumps/obstacles off-road, and that is with a ARB bumper. Before the bumper it was even worse.

The rear is much of the same, I have a fair bit of weight back there now with a camper shell, rack, 33" spare, and drawer system so its improved a ton since initial install.

What I have noticed is that when I have a passenger with me my ride is slightly smoother and I am not topping out the shocks nearly as much, which tells me that the more weight I add (sliders, skids, winch, etc.) the better my ride quality will be.

Long story short, if I had to do it again I would go the 885 route as @BigMack mentioned, and a medium duty leaf pack. I'd rather have a properly setup suspension, which softens out overtime as more weight is added then go heavy duty preemptively and suffer a poor ride quality. The mods are not coming as fast as I had thought and I have dealt with the consequences of my decision for some time now.

10. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    SkrappyDewtal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I have been thinking the exact same way; why not just go with the heavy since I will be adding parts? Makes sense it is too stiff without the proper weight added. I think I'm going to go with the medium load then replace the springs/leaf pack like you suggested as I add more weight. Thank you for this info! This is really helpful.

11. Oct 25, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    acdubstaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR
    Glad I could help, I think you'll be much happier with the medium setup. Its really not much money or work to change out springs, plus you could sell your old ones for a decent price and recoup some cost. Good luck with the install and make sure to post a picture when its done!

SkrappyDewtal[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 28, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    Lorescar

Lorescar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRDOR DCSB
    TRD Bilstein Lift & 265/75/16 Wildpeaks
    Tried searching already but no luck. Anyone know why headstrong lists the medium duty dakars as lifting a 2nd gen 2.75" and a 3rd gen 2"? Both my old 2nd and new 3rd gen measure at about 22" hub to center in the rear

13. Oct 31, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    clem408

clem408 Member

Member:
    What size tires you running? I have pretty much same setup but in silver and looking at OME med kit. Any other pics?

14. Oct 31, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Snowmonkey800

Snowmonkey800 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Vehicle:
    19 taco access cab TRD off road.
    Only this other one so far IMG_20211023_104235327.jpg I'm running a 265/75 dura tracks for now. Looking into some 255 when they become available again.
    Good kit. Only "problem" I'm having is full droop it hits kinda hard. Upper control arms might be the issue haven't really checked yet. Otherwise I'm pumped on it. Rear bumper comes next week. Hopefully the med kit holds up. If not I'll add a leaf.

clem408[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Oct 31, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    Woodini

Woodini Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Daytona Beach Shores
    Vehicle:
    89 Pickup 22RE 4wd
    LCE i/h/e OME susp (install soon) 17” fn counter steer, gonna buy new rubber
    Ordered a medium kit for my truck ~3 months back. Still eagerly waiting for it

16. Nov 2, 2021 at 7:05 AM
    SkrappyDewtal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Where is everyone buying their OME kits from? I'm seeing kits ranging from the basics (shocks, struts, coils, leaf packs, hardware) to strut assembly, diff drop kit, carrier barring drop, extended brake lines, UCAs, etc. Any advice on what is necessary vs a good idea to replace while installing the kit? I don't wan to buy a kit and turn around and have to purchase additional parts if another kit has everything I will need.

17. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    DuffyBank

DuffyBank Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Canada, I ordered as a package from Wheelers, 886/Dakar HD. Three of the four packages made it to BC within a week, the fourth, UPS sent to Chicago is is delayed a week behind the other items.

18. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    acdubstaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR
    I purchased from @HeadStrong Off-Road, they personally looked over everything before loading it in my truck for me (I opted to pick up instead of pay for shipping), they actually found a faulty coil which was replaced right there on the spot no questions asked. They had great customer service and were able to help answer a lot of my questions. Regarding some things you'll want to look at replacing, it depends on how many miles you have on your current suspension and how hard you drive. It looks like you have a third gen so I am assuming you probably have less miles than I did when I replaced my suspension. Other things I replaced were:
    • ECGS bearing - This is a must for all lifted Tacomas to eliminate a vibration and possible failure in the drivers side needle bearing.
    • U-bolts - Everytime you remove your leaf springs, whether to add a leaf or replace the whole pack, you need to replace these as they have constant high stress load on them.
    • UCAs - If you are lifting more than 2" these are essential for moving caster forward to accommodate your lift (and fit bigger tires) as well as making sure the UCAs clear the coil under full droop. I went with SPCs and I would highly recommend them.
    • Carrier Bearing Drop - This is usually included and it is important as it corrects your driveline geometry after a lift. Its a super easy install and very cheap.
    Optional upgrades would be extended brake lines, remember OME coils are stock length, meaning you will get minimal if any additional flex, meaning your stock length brake lines are just fine. Another optional add-on would be a diff drop, I didn't go with one and I suggest you do the same, it's not necessary for a 2-3" lift and it reduces ground clearance, which is why you are lifting in the first place!

Finally I will say please do yourself a favor and order the assembled coilovers. I ordered the struts and coils separately thinking I'd save myself a few bucks using a spring compressor from autozone. After 4 hours of using air tools and bending the living hell out of the spring compressors worried I would kill myself, I gave up and took it to a local shop, I ended up saving like $20 but it cost me 4 hours of my time and a few years off my life, and I still have the stock hardware because you reuse it if you assemble yourself.

19. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    jgr81

jgr81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    Summit County CO
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab, 03 4runner v8
    I just ordered from wheelers for my old 4runner, they had it in stock and and I had them assemble the coils/shocks and it came within a week. I would've ordered from headstrong like I did for my taco suspension, but they didn't have it in stock unfortunately when I ordered a few weeks back

20. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    SkrappyDewtal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    This was extremely helpful! I will reach out to them to get a quote! My 2019 only has 12k miles, but I plan on off-roading on weekends and building this into an overland vehicle for road trips and camping. Thank you for this info!

acdubstaco[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top