1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME 881/Bilstein 5100 on top setting

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mr. Biscuits, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits [OP] gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Okay so, I bought a set of series 5100 Billies and OME 881 coils with the intention of install it all myself on my 2000 V6 prerunner. After a heated debate with my father whom was supposed to assist in the installation, we surmised that we would install the rears and let the shop do the front struts so as to reduce the danger from the strut assembly. after installing the rears i took my taco to the shop who gladly installed my 5100's and OME coils giving my truck an amazingly sexy lift :cool:

unfortunately my biggest fears were realized when i did a look around and discovered that the coils had been set on the top lift setting of the 5100's!! :eek: which scared the hell outta me considering all the threads advising against this setup. I will of course be returning to ANOTHER shop to have the struts reassembled correctly on the 0" setting so i dont screw anything up.

My question pertains to the types of issues i might run into over the next week as i wait to accumulate enough money to pay for another strut assembly. WHAT IS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN?

2. Jun 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Vibrations and stiff ride. Are you positive the placed the snap ring on the highest setting? Snap a pic and post it. Also what did you choose for your rear setup?

3. Jun 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    IMG_20120629_175013_419aeace7500c3474542370718d96a02de48d4f7.jpg

i hope this picture displays the rings well enough. you see the lowest one right there and the second notch kinda peekin out from under the seat. i have noticed the jarringly stiff ride unfortunately......and all i wanted to do today was test my new shocks on some mean ass back dirt roads :(

on the rear the only change was the replacing of the OEM shocks with some 5125's i dont have blocks or AAL's or anything

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    i have since gone to my other suspension shop who understood the issue and gave me a great deal on rebuilding the coilovers to the correct setting and giving me a much needed alignment. i am now sittting at the 0 setting and the ride is amazing :D

Products Discussed in

To Top