1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME 885 coils and 5100 bilsteins

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Tacoma2nd, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tacoma2nd

Tacoma2nd [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    2.5 inch coil spacer and rear add-a-leaf
    I have a regular cab 06 tacoma. i want to get rid of the coil spacers and switch to the OME 885 coils and the 5100 bilsteins. Is it bad if i put the billys on the highest lift setting? if so why? if anyone has this set up please post pics. thanks.

2. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Yes, this would be considered stacking lifts. Your shocks will have zero down travel left, and your ball joints will bind.

You can't go over 3" total lift on a Tacoma without a drop bracket lift, body lift, or SAS.

3. scocar

scocar Not one of the 10,000 Baja Edition Elite Guard

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    01 Xcab TRD 4x4 V6 Man. SR5
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    Also consider that 5100s were designed to level trucks with stock coils, which are not as strong (spring rating) as 885s. I have a 1st gen, so I don't know any spec on the 2nd gen stock coils, but for comparison, stock 1st gen TRD coils are 375 lb rating, and OME 881s (which provide about 2 in lift) are 500 lb rating.

But, the 5100 perches and the rings milled into the shock tubes and the retaining clip are designed for stock coil loads, not stronger aftermarket coils. So, I believe it is potentially unsafe to use a setting higher than zero on the 5100s with the 885s. At least this is the case on similar first gen setups.

Theoretically, if you are using OMEs, the taller coil provides the lift, so you don't need the lift the higher 5100 settings provide.

4. LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    OP, what are you trying to accomplish?

5. Tacoma2nd

Tacoma2nd [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    2.5 inch coil spacer and rear add-a-leaf
    i have an add a leaf in the back and 2.5 inch coil spacers so its lifted but not leveled out. i wanted enough lift with the 885 coils and the billys to level out my truck. will the 885 coils and the bilsteins set at 0 level it out? whats the best thing to do?

6. LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    OK, I'll bite.

V6 guys get about 2.5" of lift using 885s with 5100s set at zero, so with your 4 banger, you'll be close to if not level.

I'm also thinking you might even experience a rough ride. Using 885s on a regular cab 4 banger is like v6 guys using 886s w/o the added weight upfront.

7. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    x2, might want to consider the 884's with the top place spacer unless you're armored up. Also, as mentioned above, don't go above the 0 setting with the OME coils, let the coils do the lifting. OME coils are tall enough where they do not need to be pre-loaded.

8. KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Sounds like you got a 2" AAL. The 1.5" is what you needed to be level with 2.5" up front.

To Top