1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On-Board-Water Storage Tank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billygoat, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Oct 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Has anyone set up an on-board drinking water system for their Tacoma? I'm about to remove the factory spare tire and am thinking of installing a small air tank and a small (maybe 10 gallon) water tank where it used to be. The problem is, I'm not finding many water tanks in a size that would work. It would need to be thin, and most are either too square or don't say what they are made of. HDPE would be my preference.

As for the plumbing, I'm not sure yet if I would install a pump system or just use gravity, but either way it would be nice to ditch the water can in my bed and I'm not keen on adding more weight to the rear bumper to carry it there.

I've found a few write-ups online, but none of them give a part number or say where they got the tank.

2. Oct 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    There are a couple members who have put their water between the rear fender and the bed - lots of wasted space there.

3. Oct 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Sounds like an excellent place for a bladder tank. Hmmmm.....

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Subbed for more info

5. Mar 26, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thread Rez!

I'd like to see how this has turned out for anyone

6. Mar 26, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I haven't had a chance to put a system together yet, but I found some websites that have what I need for relatively cheap (about $200 shipped for the whole system with a pump, more if I get fancy). I will try to put one together this summer when I have more time, but it looks very doable. The biggest issue is I will have to make a cross-member that spans the frame where the spare tire used to be to give me something to mount the water tank to (and also compressed air tank while I'm at it).

The second biggest issue is freezing. It routinely stays below freezing all January where I live, and we get subfreezing temps from November through April. Right now my plan is to pump the system dry every fall before the snow gets here. I'll be insulating the whole system anyway to avoid freezing on cold nights in the shoulder seasons, but I can't think of any effective way to keep things warm in the dead of winter if I'm parked for more than a few hours. With the engine running there is a whole slew of options though.

Ideally I would add a filter so I could suck up river water and turn it into drinkable water (I saw a system like that for overlanding), but that's where things start getting both fancy and expensive...I will probably just stick to pouring tap water into the tank before leaving for trips, and adding a couple drops of bleach to keep it potable.

7. Mar 27, 2017 at 5:40 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
  8. May 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    osinrider04

osinrider04 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2013 Overland Built Taco
    Reviving this old thread. Did OP end up getting a tank made to fit the spare tire area?

9. May 10, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Nope. A bunch of stuff came up including a blown head gasket and broken control arm. The water tank is on my list of to-do’s, and I found a premade tank that will fit, but it’s on the back burner for now. I’m definitely going with food-grade HDPE though.

10. Jun 27, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    osinrider04

osinrider04 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2013 Overland Built Taco
    Ah hey I just saw that you replied a while back. Guess I didn’t have the thread subbed. Can you share what tank you were going to use? I’m about ready to start this project and was curious what you’ve found.

What were you going to do for mounting to spare area? I was thinking of just some metal straps to hold it up to the frame.

Last thing to figure out is how to fill it up if mounted down there. I was thinking of a fill port similar to the gas tank either inside the truck bed (I have camper shell) or risk drilling a hole on exterior of truck. What are your thoughts?

11. Sep 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
  12. Sep 9, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Don't recall every being so thirsty that I would drag that out for drink. Maybe keep it there for an emergency but by then it would be too foul to drink. Ahhhh ... I know what its good for. Fill with sand for ballast.

13. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
    I’m thinking a retired aluminum SCUBA tank.

Drill and tap a hole on the low side for plumbing to bumper spigot, use the neck for the ‘fill’ hose plumbing, strap it to the frame somewhere. Maybe even drill a hole to put a little air in and pressurize it.

Products Discussed in

To Top