1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One of a kind 1st gen custom light install

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by IDtrucks, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    So i had this idea for putting in 4 rectangular lights in the holes of the lower mouth of my 99' front bumper for quite some time. I got this done before my truck got hit and jacked up the tailgate and am just now posting it haha.

I got some 1x1 square tubing and found the best place to mount it to keep the lights centered in the holes of the opening. I didnt want to weld to the frame, so i welded to the bolt on eyelets that were on the bottom of my frame. All the bird shit you see around the joint was from the first welder i tried to use, which was an old gas-less wire feed, which didnt have any heat penetration and just left bird shit all over my metal and the joint snapped. So i went and used a modern mig welder and now i can lift up the front of the truck with this bar. Defanitly over kill for 4 lights, but it is what it is.
    [​IMG]
    I drilled holes through the tubing and ran bolts and through the brackets for the lights. It was a pretty tight fit on the back side of the bar between the bar and the radiator brace. At the closest spot i had less than a quarter of an inch between the light bar and the radiator brace.

I ran all of the wires into the truck, and cut out spots for the switches that came with the kit to snap in. In my truck these were just plastic filler pieces, but in a Trd 4x4 these would have switches for a diff lock and a driving controll button.
    [​IMG]

Lights, at night.
    [​IMG]

How they look during the day:D I like how they turned out. As far as i know, i dont know anyone else that mounted lights like this in their 1st gen. If somone out there has done this, post pics so i can see what you did different or the same.
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I absolutely love it man. +1 rep for you sir. Great job.

you should pop the bumper back off and taker a grinder to those spots one weekend when you get bored though.

3. Aug 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Thanks for the compliment!!!

I want to either grind off the birdshit or possibly paint it, but the nuts that hold the huge bumper bolts strips and destroys the threads on the bolts when removed. I had to file down part of the threads to get them back in the first time and i doubt it will happen again. The bumper is such a pain to remove.

4. Dec 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Cool idea. I might try it some day.

Products Discussed in

To Top